Covid-19

JCon

Sounds like you guys got the same pathetic "not even half" measures that AB got a month ago. Trust me...it did nothing. Numbers continue to exponentially rise. It's a terrifying time to be ruled by a Conservative government pandering to businesses.

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

This is all very frustrating from a school perspective.  We have to make kids wear masks most of the day, while most people no longer care.

I instruct a martial arts class 2 x a week. My adults have bailed for now so I have a bunch of kids left. We are mask on before entry and the kids don't balk at all. I work them pretty hard at times and you can  tell they get pretty heated but they are fine with it. Occasionally a kid will have a naked nose but I just tell them to pull it up. They are tougher than all these whining anti- maskers and they are just a bunch of kids. It makes it hard for me to deal with the whiners.

Just now, the watcher said:

I instruct a martial arts class 2 x a week. My adults have bailed for now so I have a bunch of kids left. We are mask on before entry and the kids don't balk at all. I work them pretty hard at times and you can  tell they get pretty heated but they are fine with it. Occasionally a kid will have a naked nose but I just tell them to pull it up. They are tougher than all these whining anti- maskers and they are just a bunch of kids. It makes it hard for me to deal with the whiners.

I'm going to be coaching my kid's softball team and I've already put in the email to the parents that masks will be mandatory at all times on my team (even though the return to play and public health rules allow them to now wear them in the field).  If a kid or parent has an issue with that, then they don't have to be on my team.

44 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not true. Lots of teachers have got the vaccine already atleast at my daughter's school. 

Actually it is true. If you're 50 and over and work at any of those places, you may have the first dose or your appointment booked. If you're 40+ and were able to find a place offering it, you may have gotten your first dose of AZ. If you work in a hot spot, you may be however many in schools have not because they are under 40, don't work in a hot spot or were unable to get in to get the AZ. So totally true.

2 hours ago, Sard said:

I'm going to be coaching my kid's softball team and I've already put in the email to the parents that masks will be mandatory at all times on my team (even though the return to play and public health rules allow them to now wear them in the field).  If a kid or parent has an issue with that, then they don't have to be on my team.

If those are your rules, I am good with that. 

I my classroom, the seating 6 feet apart, so they don't have to wear masks if they are seated.

For some, this not good enough, even though it is exactly what the public health orders for schools specify.  

Just now, Mark H. said:

If those are your rules, I am good with that. 

I my classroom, the seating 6 feet apart, so they don't have to wear masks if they are seated.

For some, this not good enough, even though it is exactly what the public health orders for schools specify.  

The Public Health Order and Return to Play guidelines say that masks are required when the kids are on the bench, but not when they are on the field.  I figure that having to remind them every time they come off the field to put their masks on creates more chaos and I don't want to have to be constantly watching for it on top of trying to coach.

I play Ultimate as well, fingers crossed that there is a season this summer.  If there is, I will be wearing my mask all the time for that too even though it's only required on the sideline.

The restrictions make it clear the economy is held above all else including family connections and mental & physical health. Increasing restrictions does not bother me personally much. Due to having a newborn and an autoimmune condition, my family has held ourselves to more restrictive standards than governmental restrictions for the past year. Its sucked, but hopefully it will change soon. It would be nice if the restrictions made sense and showed compassion for anything other than the almighty dollar.

Its also really unfortunate about the idiots at the rallies and nothing being done about enforcement. They should all be fined with the fine going to support small businesses. They claim their rally is to support small businesses, so they should happily pay the fine.

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

The restrictions make it clear the economy is held above all else including family connections and mental & physical health. Increasing restrictions does not bother me personally much. Due to having a newborn and an autoimmune condition, my family has held ourselves to more restrictive standards than governmental restrictions for the past year. Its sucked, but hopefully it will change soon. It would be nice if the restrictions made sense and showed compassion for anything other than the almighty dollar.

Its also really unfortunate about the idiots at the rallies and nothing being done about enforcement. They should all be fined with the fine going to support small businesses. They claim their rally is to support small businesses, so they should happily pay the fine.

I do wonder if the restrictions are setup to target where they are seeing transmission.  I know a week or so back Dr. Roussin had said that most transmissions they were seeing were from houshold gatherings and sleepovers, so if that's the case, the restrictions make total sense.  That being said, they should actually say that in the press conference so that it's clear to people.

The fact that they aren't shutting down kids activities is a sign to me that they do see the mental and physical health benefits to those activities.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

Agreed 100%.

Is 6 feet indoors for any significant length of time social distancing?

That's the information we were given at the start of the year - the directive has not changed.

So, according to Public Health, the answer, yes.  

I mean, of course it's not perfect, but it is better than remote learning - kids can't wear masks all day without a break - no one can. 

It takes a great deal of time and effort to get mask wearing done properly.  

MAGA donor's private school says it is now 'policy not to employ' vaccinated teachers

The founder of the first "happiness school" in America is a Miami-based anti-vaxxer who has just announced she is banning any teacher who has been vaccinated from being in contact with students – to "protect" the students. Teachers are required to notify the school, Centner Academy, in writing of their vaccination status and are urged to wait until summer to get their vaccine if they have not yet been inoculated against the coronavirus.

Leila Centner, who co-founded Centner Academy with her husband, David Centner, "with a very heavy heart" notified faculty in a letter, saying "we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known," The New York Times reports.

"Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return", the letter said," until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only 'if a position is still available at that time' — effectively making teachers' employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine."

But CBS Miami (video below) reports that letter also reads in part: "It is our policy, to the extent possible, not to employ anyone who has taken the experimental COVID-19 injection until further information is known."

Centner told faculty they are required to fill out a confidential form disclosing their vaccination status, and "acknowledge the School will take legal measures needed to protect the students if it is determined that I have not answered these questions accurately," according to the Times.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

MAGA donor's private school says it is now 'policy not to employ' vaccinated teachers

The founder of the first "happiness school" in America is a Miami-based anti-vaxxer who has just announced she is banning any teacher who has been vaccinated from being in contact with students – to "protect" the students. Teachers are required to notify the school, Centner Academy, in writing of their vaccination status and are urged to wait until summer to get their vaccine if they have not yet been inoculated against the coronavirus.

Leila Centner, who co-founded Centner Academy with her husband, David Centner, "with a very heavy heart" notified faculty in a letter, saying "we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known," The New York Times reports.

"Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return", the letter said," until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only 'if a position is still available at that time' — effectively making teachers' employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine."

But CBS Miami (video below) reports that letter also reads in part: "It is our policy, to the extent possible, not to employ anyone who has taken the experimental COVID-19 injection until further information is known."

Centner told faculty they are required to fill out a confidential form disclosing their vaccination status, and "acknowledge the School will take legal measures needed to protect the students if it is determined that I have not answered these questions accurately," according to the Times.

How did the right end up with a such a large collection of stupid, whiny people? I mean, I know why but it is amazing. 

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's the information we were given at the start of the year - the directive has not changed.

So, according to Public Health, the answer, yes.  

I mean, of course it's not perfect, but it is better than remote learning - kids can't wear masks all day without a break - no one can. 

It takes a great deal of time and effort to get mask wearing done properly.  

My daughter (grade 3) and her class wear their masks all day with the exception of 2 snacks and lunch time without any issues.  She's to the point now that when we pick her up from school, we have to tell her she can take her mask off because she doesn't even really notice it's there anymore.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hmm I dunno that the science supports that.

https://www.cnet.com/health/mit-covid-study-shows-indoors-masks-may-be-more-important-than-social-distancing/

It seems like a multi-faceted approach is the best way, at least as far as indoor activities go.