Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

What is it going to take for Pallister to smarten up and institute more restrictions- 300 new cases and a dozen deaths per day? Is he taking advice from Premiers Ford and Kenney?

Yes. 

Kenney probably still thinks he can be federal Conservative leader & ultimately PM someday. Alberta has a way of destroying federal politicians dreams like that who think being Premier here is a piece of cake which it isn't. Jim Prentice found that out. We chew 'em up & spit them out. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

23 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Every time during this pandemic, when ever Kenny or the dire covid situation is brought up- i often wonder how well Notley would have done 

I'll say better... But it's a low bar. I feel like traditionally compassionate parties.... Progressives... Handle these things better than Conservatives who value money above all else. I thank Christ every single day (ironically) that we have a Liberal federal government during this thing rather than a Con, which wouldn't give a **** about bailout money and killed as many people as necessary in order to save businesses.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'll say better... But it's a low bar. I feel like traditionally compassionate parties.... Progressives... Handle these things better than Conservatives who value money above all else. I thank Christ every single day (ironically) that we have a Liberal federal government during this thing rather than a Con, which wouldn't give a **** about bailout money and killed as many people as necessary in order to save businesses.

Oh wow, I didn't even consider how Harper would have governed during this pandemic... oh wow, the muzzling of scientists alone... geez...

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

What is it going to take for Pallister to smarten up and institute more restrictions- 300 new cases and a dozen deaths per day? Is he taking advice from Premiers Ford and Kenney?

It's pointless when dozens of flights come in every day.  The lack of local restrictions did not cause what we're seeing now. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Oh wow, I didn't even consider how Harper would have governed during this pandemic... oh wow, the muzzling of scientists alone... geez...

Right?? I mean he's the reason we don't have vaccine manufacturing facilities in Canada... Was too expensive and we'll never need it. Oi. Vey. Absolutely terrifying. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Right?? I mean he's the reason we don't have vaccine manufacturing facilities in Canada... Was too expensive and we'll never need it. Oi. Vey. Absolutely terrifying. 

Actually not entirely true, if you go back and look at the history, we lost manufacturing capacity during Mulroney's regime and the Chretien regime's decision to offer short patent protection than other nations also had an huge impact. Harper deserves some of the blame but so does every other regime going back to the late 80s.

On 2021-04-23 at 1:02 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I mean I get it... it is a gamble and it might work, we might avoid the same fate as Alberta or Ontario. But that is what enrages me, that instead of betting on the path that would mitigate death, severe illness and crush our already over worked health care system... he and bets on the path that helps the economy and doubles down on blaming the citizens if his gamble doesn't work... this government is bankrupt of responsibility.

Yeah, across the country it's just Conservative premiers pandering to their base, once we inevitably find ourselves in the throes of a third (fourth?) wave, it'll be interesting to hear the excuses. I do find it interesting though.... does Mr. Pallister & Co realize that his base (which, demographically speaking, are older citizens) are more susceptible to COVID-19?

They do know dead voters can't vote, right?

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah, across the country it's just Conservative premiers pandering to their base, once we inevitably find ourselves in the throes of a third (fourth?) wave, it'll be interesting to hear the excuses. I do find it interesting though.... does Mr. Pallister & Co realize that his base (which, demographically speaking, are older citizens) are more susceptible to COVID-19?

Pallister's base are already inoculated. That is why he is holding restrictions back. 

I was kidding when I started writing... but it kind of rings true...

10 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

So you are saying that BC is handling this better ? I have children in BC, my wife has family in BC. They aren't doing things any better than Alberta or Ontario and not as well as Manitoba. It's just that it's the entitled youth there instead of the religious right in Manitoba. It's not a political party thing. It's people in power terrified of losing power. So terrified they will risk lives instead of upsetting their base. I'm not happy with our current PC leader in MB but our current federal PM. absolutly botched the vaccines and their procurement.The left blaming the right is just as bad as the right blaming the left. This should have nothing to do with politics. 

Edited by the watcher

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

We had the time to convert existing vaccine   facilities(  yes they do exist )  or build new ones ( like the UK ) and to develop  our own vaccine.( like the UK ) . Your lack of ability to lay this at the feet of our current federal government is amazing.. Their decision to snuggle up in bed with China is what doomed it. Then their slow response after that plan totally  collapsed  accentuated the problem. NONE of that was Harper's fault.  I will give the Feds credit for doing a good job at getting money out and doing a it quickly. They did it well. On vaccines they did not. Its just a fact. Blaming it on previous regimes is just politicizing the issue.

44 minutes ago, the watcher said:

So you are saying that BC is handling this better ? I have children in BC, my wife has family in BC. They aren't doing things any better than Alberta or Ontario and not as well as Manitoba. It's just that it's the entitled youth there instead of the religious right in Manitoba. It's not a political party thing. It's people in power terrified of losing power. So terrified they will risk lives instead of upsetting their base. I'm not happy with our current PC leader in MB but our current federal PM. absolutly botched the vaccines and their procurement.The left blaming the right is just as bad as the right blaming the left. This should have nothing to do with politics. 

Thank you. It is about time someone said this. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Part of his base... Old people... Are inoculated, but the other half.... Bible thumpers from south of the Trans Can... Will never take it because God will protect them. 

I live across from a vaccination pop clinic here in Steinbach and the parking lot is full everyday, with people waiting in line  to get in.

So I've vented my frustration on the lockdowns in the past, and I keep changing my mind back and forth and then back again.

My best friends dad has gotten covid. Early 60s. The man is attached to a breathing mask and was almost transferred to the IICU. Been in the hospital for 10 days. Sure hits different when somebody you care for is in the hospital.

So I suppose, if this means the end of my small business I hope it means were saving lives, like those of my friends father.

24 minutes ago, CodyT said:

So I've vented my frustration on the lockdowns in the past, and I keep changing my mind back and forth and then back again.

My best friends dad has gotten covid. Early 60s. The man is attached to a breathing mask and was almost transferred to the IICU. Been in the hospital for 10 days. Sure hits different when somebody you care for is in the hospital.

So I suppose, if this means the end of my small business I hope it means were saving lives, like those of my friends father.

In Saskatoon yesterday about a hundred demonstrators held a "Children's Festival" (that's what they claimed it was) even though it obviously was an anti mask event. These morons exposed their kids to Covid as no one wore masks.  Kids had games & science experiments although the 1 science fact that Covid can spread to all ages was overlooked. Saskatoon cops did nothing. No tickets given out although they said they might lay charges later. No bylaw officers there to hand out tickets. They said in a statement that they wanted to strike a balance between the right to demonstrate & the need for restrictions. Which is all a bunch of hogwash & they know it.  I used to be pro Cops on everything. Now, I'm all for defunding the Police & throwing some of these useless overpaid cops out of work. They don't do anything anyway. They can all be security guards as far as I'm concerned. Just a waste of my tax dollars & yours.