Covid-19

JCon

22 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Any concerns about the doubts of the AZ vaccine efficacy vs. the variants? That is the only reason I am hesitating right now...

From what I have read, it works well against The UK variant and the P1 variant in terms of transmissibility and mild to severe symptoms. 

The south African variant is where things get dicey. it has a 10,9 % efficacy in preventing mild to moderate symptoms. The good news is, so far it has a track record of 100% efficacy against SEVERE symptoms. 

ANd that is kind of what we want to do... take the shot so we don't die.

Sure there are concerns, but the benefits FAR outweigh the miniscule chance of clots. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-56665396

Handy little chart here:

_117887872_vaccine_death_comparison_640-

Here are few more articles:

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-blood-clot/

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-benefits-still-outweigh-risks-despite-possible-link-rare-blood-clots

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

44 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Yeah, not worried about clots. Just worried about getting a vaccine that might be useless against the variant du jour when compared to alternatives.

It is hard to get any reliable data on that...

All that said, I booked it anyways. Going Friday!

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So... vaccine hesitancy seems to be an issue with the vaccine rollout.

Has anyone seen any sort of campaign to reduce the hesitancy? I haven't seen any. 

If that's the case that is a huge failure in the roll out... and needs to be addressed.

The biggest "effort" I've seen to that effect is having the higher profile people (Dr. Roussen, Premier Pallister, etc.) getting their AstraZenecca vaccinations posted online and on the news.

34 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Has anyone seen any sort of campaign to reduce the hesitancy? I haven't seen any. 

If that's the case that is a huge failure in the roll out... and needs to be addressed.

I've seen some billboards around the city.   Suspect those aren't hugely successful to people who have already made up their mind against them, but it is never a bad thing to have those things mentioned and mentioned often.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

It's no surprise that there is vaccine hesitancy. Most of that can be probably attributed to the absolute garbage being regurgitated on social media. Most people of even average intelligence know that social media is a swamp land of misinformation, unfortunately half the people are of below average intelligence and gobble up every meme and bit of ridiculousness with fervor as if it were the truth.

there was too much mixed-messaging regarding AZ vaxx. It's just ridiculous. For what the vaccine is trying to accomplish, it's every bit as good as the others. This narrative of AZ somehow being a "lesser" vaxx is crazy. Don't get caught up in all the efficacy numbers...

7 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Any concerns about the doubts of the AZ vaccine efficacy vs. the variants? That is the only reason I am hesitating right now...

None.  Glad to see you booked one. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What i remember about the efficacy of AZ being low is that it was low due to them not testing it on people over 65. Otherwise its 90%.

I believe it was the opposite. Oxford university conducted studies on all ages and in England had a higher proportion of elderly in their studies. 

As has been said just about all have near 100% efficacy against severe illness or death. Give me whatever jab I can get as soon as I can get it. That is AZ on Monday. 

Trump Dreams Up Nefarious Plot That Pfizer and FDA Are Behind J&J Pause

During his first on-camera interview since leaving office three months ago, former President Donald Trump did what he does best on Monday night: make unsubstantiated claims and provide little to no evidence to back them up.

Speaking to Fox News’ Sean Hannity, Trump suggested that federal health agencies recommended a pause of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because the Food and Drug Administration is in bed with Pfizer, the manufacturer of one of the other federally approved COVID-19 vaccines. And that is the reason why Trump won’t “do a commercial” promoting the efficacy and safety of the shots.

Trump Dreams Up Nefarious Plot That Pfizer and FDA Are Behind Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Pause (thedailybeast.com)

Just now, 17to85 said:

My sincere hope is that this rush of people getting vaccinated wakes up the people being picky about which vaccine they get and the ones just normally hesitant. Make it seem like they're missing out and get everyone clamoring to get a shot.

Let's hope so. 

We have (had) 55,000 AZ vaccines in freezers in Manitoba not being used. Now, they're going to be scooped up very fast. 

I have a bit of anxiety about skipping in front of some that need it more than I do but the Gov't is enacting a plan to get doses to those communities.

I couldn't believe social media yesterday among my peers. It was like Xmas. Some were sharing pics and others were sharing that they had upcoming appointments. It felt good. 

I sent a message to a co-worker that it was available and she made an appointment for her and her husband. They were giddy. 

Can't be surprised that the counts are going up, it's all around us and people are still traveling

NEW Last updated: April 20, 2021

Public health officials advise that one new death in a person with COVID -19 have been reported today:

• a female in her 90s from Prairie Mountain Health region and linked to the outbreak at Russell Health Centre.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is six per cent provincially and 6.3 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 211 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, eight cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 203 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 36,470. 

Today’s COVID-19 data shows:

• 14 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region; 
  • 25 cases in the Northern health region;  
  • 27 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;  
  • seven cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and  
  • 138 cases in the Winnipeg health region.

The data also shows:

• 1,783 active cases and 33,727 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
  • 66 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 66 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 132 hospitalizations; 
  • 18 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 15 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 33 ICU patients;
  • 2,194 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 627,113; and
  • the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 960.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

have a bit of anxiety about skipping in front of some that need it more than I do but the Gov't is enacting a plan to get doses to those communities.

The most vulnerable already have shots, the rest of us are as in need as anyone. Honestly I think it is time to shift the focus away from age groups and get the people out in public their shots. You want schools and businesses and restaurants open you better vaccinate the people working in those places.