Covid-19

JCon

Teah... yeah that the Bolsonaro (P1) variant is the one I have been dreading. That **** is nasty and is going to muck up any plans to going back to normal.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/brazils-p1-coronavirus-variant-mutating-may-become-more-dangerous-study-2021-04-14/

"Naveca said the changes appeared to be similar to the mutations seen in the even more aggressive South African variant, against which studies have shown some vaccines have substantially reduced efficacy.

"This is particularly worrying because the virus is continuing to accelerate in its evolution," he added.

Studies have shown the P1 variant to be as much as 2.5 times more contagious than the original coronavirus and more resistant to antibodies."

A little information on the variants and where they come from:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Does it not just feel like we're living an a horror  movie?

To me, it feels more like the exposition of some dystopian sci-fi survival film. Maybe in a flashback on how it all started... then flash forward to present day in the movie...

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I think it would be better if they released info when they are certain about it.  There's really no need for anyone to know that a third dose 'might' be needed. It's TMI and it feeds the skeptics as well as the 'and you thought vaccine would protect you' crowd. 

I totally expect to continue to get Covid vaccine shots. Vaccine boosts will be needed. 

The only reason to hold this info back is the wacko anti-vaxxer talking heads who would rather die a slow painful Covid death than get a needle in their arm. 

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I think it would be better if they released info when they are certain about it.  There's really no need for anyone to know that a third dose 'might' be needed. It's TMI and it feeds the skeptics as well as the 'and you thought vaccine would protect you' crowd. 

I'd rather the medical community be forthright with the public than not, regardless of the certainty; science is ever evolving, anyway.

And let's be honest: skeptics and deniers are by and large lost causes.

Some troubling news regarding yet another variant (B1617): https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/india-has-a-double-mutant-virus-variant-should-we-be-worried

This variant has been detected in at least 10 other countries, including the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand...

These variant strains can **** right off.

Ontario is sure going into a hard lockdown. Some people are questioning the power they have given the police to enforce it but their hospital situation is desperate. I just wish that were stopping traffic going out as well as in. There's no way Manitoba dodges this. Get ready.

By the way I read about a variant of the Brazilian variant that has shown up in Brazil.  The big noticble difference is it also seems to be hitting children as well. Its also hits mildly to start then after 10 or 12 days hits very hard. Sorry I have no link as I can't remember where I read it. Maybe the Guardian.