Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There's also a story about people in Manitoba who were together during a pandemic.

During the first lockdown, most people bought in and the restrictions worked.

During second the lockdown, people began to realize:

That travel was not allowed unless you were flying.

That it was mostly big box retailers who were allowed to stay open. I mean, come on, Dollorama sells very few essentials. 

I could go on all day...

This and other exceptions led to people seeking out loopholes for themselves.

In the third lockdown - like it or not - there's going to be more people digging a hole in the floor of the cabin.

We're seeing it in AB right now. Lotta selfish assholes all across this country for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

They are not all selfish - many are just frustrated and disillusioned with the unequal application of the public health orders.  

Couldn't agree with this more. Last year when they shut my business down, I was all for the good of the people.

Being in the event industry I'm completely fed up. Enough is enough. Get the vaccines out. I'm beyond frustrated.  I understand people's concerns but most of the people saying we need to tighten up or continue with heavy restrictions are the same people's financial well being isn't being wrecked beyond belief.

Sorry. I know this may come across as inconsiderate but this ain't ebola. 8 billion people and 3 million deaths world wide and those numbers are likely exaggerated. I want people's safety first but if that's the case then none of these rules make any sense.

10 hours ago, CodyT said:

8 billion people and 3 million deaths world wide and those numbers are likely exaggerated. I want people's safety first but if that's the case then none of these rules make any sense.

If anything they're probably underreported. But I do feel for business owners who keep getting jerked around. Governments needed to do more for the business forced to shut their doors. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If anything they're probably underreported. But I do feel for business owners who keep getting jerked around. Governments needed to do more for the businesses forced to shut their doors. 

They do.  But unfortunately, that is also not sustainable. 

Agreed, the government needs to do more for the small business community - through no fault of their own, they lose money, close up shop and are financially strapped. 

With that being said, if things aren't locked down now, they will most certainly be locked down in a few weeks when our health care system is on the verge of collapsing. Better to get ahead of what we know is coming and get more shots in arms before we are trying to weather the worst of it.

Just now, Mark H. said:

We are?  My dad turned 75 last month - he's getting his first dose on Saturday

Yes, but I'm certain they're booking several weeks out now. I remember reading someone, who's number came up last week, booking for the last week of April. 

So, if you're 59 and can book, I bet you're getting May dates now. Hope it's not that far out. Anyone check today? 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, thanks.  Dad got contacted late last week, filled out paperwork today, getting jabbed on Saturday.

So, the answer seems to be - the process is expedited when you're older. 

Outside Winnipeg, I think it's faster. Is your dad visiting a doctor or pharmacist? 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

With the province approaching 1/4 of the population vaccinated - one would think many vulnerable citizens (older, underlying conditions, et. al.) already have at least one dose. 

I really think we need to change this narrative. ******* Kenney does the same in Alberta. But call it what it is, 1/4 have got their first dose. They're not fully vaccinated until they get the 2nd dose.

54 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I really think we need to change this narrative. ******* Kenney does the same in Alberta. But call it what it is, 1/4 have got their first dose. They're not fully vaccinated until they get the 2nd dose.

This. Until people get the second shot, they're not fully protected. This whole concept of we've done our job for 25% or 25% the way through so far is crap. Let's also not forget that the immunization is only anticipated to be good for 6 months.

My wife works at HSC and has no idea when she's getting shot #2.

Dr. Joss Reimer, with the province's Vaccine Implementation Task Force says the vaccinations are proving to be very effective in Manitoba. She says of the hundreds of thousands of Manitobans who have been vaccinated, there have been only 111 cases of individuals getting COVID-19 after being administered with the vaccine.

Also on the risk of Astrazenca, probably the best I have heard it explained as to why it should still be used.

On Tuesday of this week, the Public Health Agency of Canada received a report of an individual living in Canada who experienced a combination of blood clots and low platelets after being immunized with AstraZeneca. Dr. Reimer says though there have been other cases in Europe, this is the only reported case so far in Canada.

"Based on all of the evidence available internationally to date, we continue to believe that the benefits of AstraZeneca to protect against COVID-19 far outweigh the risks associated with it," says Dr. Reimer.

She says based on data from the UK, the risk of serious harm from AstraZeneca is about one per 100,000 doses. And, that risk becomes smaller as you get older.

"However, even amongst people who are low risk of being exposed to COVID, the UK still estimates that the AstraZeneca vaccine would prevent 141 ICU admissions for every million doses," adds Dr. Reimer. "If you are age 60-69 and you have a high risk of exposure, the benefits are even greater because the AstraZeneca in that high risk scenario according to the UK data would tell us that over one thousand ICU admissions can be prevented in those million doses."

Yeah, it's really a shame there's been so much mixed-messaging re: AZ from the get-go because it's a very good vaccine to get (ANY vaccine is a good one to get) but people got caught up in "the efficacy is lower than Pfizer/Moderna, therefore it's not as good" and "blood clots!!11!" which are extremely rare. I would have absolutely no problem taking AZ if that's what's offered. I've seen the line "The best vaccine to get is whichever one is offered to you when it's your turn" a lot, and that's 100% accurate. Just get the ******* jab, regardless of what it is. 

2 hours ago, itchy said:

Let's also not forget that the immunization is only anticipated to be good for 6 months.

Hmm I don't think this is accurate, I think the 6 months thing is because that is how long it has been studied. As in still good after 6 months. Probably see still effective at 12 months when they have studied these for a year.