Covid-19

JCon

20 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

What is the deal with them mulling over an outdoor mask mandate? All the science I have read pegs outdoor transmission as a very low risk, unless that has changed with the variants?

For example: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/risk-of-covid-19-transmission-outdoors-explained-1.5981935

The variants are definitely more contagious. Even gatherings outdoors, they recommend masks now, along with social distancing. 

not sure what Roussin has said for you guys, but our CMOH in AB has talked a lot about wearing masks outdoors now because they're discovering more and more variant transmission outdoors. It's very airborne and not just droplets, as with the original strain. I've taken to wearing a single reusable mask outdoors, and I double mask (with a disposable as base layer) when I go into a business (which is extremely limited for me...groceries once a week on Sundays) 

there was lots of chatter on #COVID19MB today about Roussin talking about how they're seeing spread via house parties, kids sleepovers, and other in-house gatherings which are strictly banned right now. Just insane to me that people can't hold on a couple more months...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

there was lots of chatter on #COVID19MB today about Roussin talking about how they're seeing spread via house parties, kids sleepovers, and other in-house gatherings which are strictly banned right now. Just insane to me that people can't hold on a couple more months...

The amount of people posting about stuff like that on social media is crazy.  No f**ks given about not following the guidelines and then complaining about another lockdown coming.  🙄

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

not sure what Roussin has said for you guys, but our CMOH in AB has talked a lot about wearing masks outdoors now because they're discovering more and more variant transmission outdoors. It's very airborne and not just droplets, as with the original strain. I've taken to wearing a single reusable mask outdoors, and I double mask (with a disposable as base layer) when I go into a business (which is extremely limited for me...groceries once a week on Sundays) 

It's been known to be airborne for a long time now. The issue with the variants is they are more easily transmitted, and perhaps the talk of outdoor masking is to protect people from themselves thinking that it's ok to get all up in each other's faces outdoors.

Oh boy, 67 of the 135 cases are the UK variant- looks like it is soon the defacto dominant strain... hey look- we are following exactly in the footsteps of our neighbours... Maybe we should... oh I dont know- lock it down and impose stricter regulations? 

I swear we are letting that 2-4 week grace period of "lessons learned" from our neighbours go to complete waste...

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Oh boy, 67 of the 135 cases are the UK variant- looks like it is soon the defacto dominant strain... hey look- we are following exactly in the footsteps of our neighbours... Maybe we should... oh I dont know- lock it down and impose stricter regulations? 

I swear we are letting that 2-4 week grace period of "lessons learned" from our neighbours go to complete waste...

We're about to get further restrictions. Not sure what they will be but they're announcing them this week. Cabinet meeting tomorrow, so after that. 

Unfortunately more restrictions are a coming it's the go to move for them, but lets not let the Governments off the hook for being woefully unprepared at the beginning of the pandemic, during the pandemic and now with the slow roll out of vaccines, thinking the people will do the right thing in terms of restriction is something only fools believe in.

Just now, bustamente said:

Unfortunately more restrictions are a coming it's the go to move for them, but lets not let the Governments off the hook for being woefully unprepared at the beginning of the pandemic, during the pandemic and now with the slow roll out of vaccines, thinking the people will do the right thing in terms of restriction is something only fools believe in.

Oh, yeah, our gov'ts have been a case study in poor leadership and crisis management. 

We're 13 months into this and they still seemed perplexed by the simplest of human actions. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

We're about to get further restrictions. Not sure what they will be but they're announcing them this week. Cabinet meeting tomorrow, so after that. 

Good. Do it now to prevent the over load. Don't ******* wait until ICU are almost at capacity and the new cases are in the 400s daily and lock it down then while everyone is freaking out.

Edit:

We are only 10 weeks out from the second wave which saw crazy overload and stress on Healthcare workers... we should not wait until its too late and have those same/more stresses on the healthcare workers...

If you look at the peak of the second wave in Canada... it was:

Jan 9th with 8716 new cases and 7915 7 day average...

yesterday, it was 8541 new cases and 8091 seven day average... and we haven't even peaked yet...

So...

tenor.gif?itemid=14290414

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

There's also a story about people in Manitoba who were together during a pandemic.

During the first lockdown, most people bought in and the restrictions worked.

During second the lockdown, people began to realize:

That travel was not allowed unless you were flying.

That it was mostly big box retailers who were allowed to stay open. I mean, come on, Dollorama sells very few essentials. 

I could go on all day...

This and other exceptions led to people seeking out loopholes for themselves.

In the third lockdown - like it or not - there's going to be more people digging a hole in the floor of the cabin.