Covid-19

JCon

U.K. Variant Now the Dominant Strain of COVID in United States: CDC
-Reuters
The U.K. variant of COVID-19 is now making up the majority of new coronavirus cases in the United States, CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said Wednesday. “Based on our most recent estimates from CDC surveillance, the B.1.1.7 variant is now the most common lineage circulating in the United States,” she said. There are 16,275 confirmed cases of the strain, according to the CDC. The U.S. has seen a surge in cases in the last few weeks, partly because of the U.K. variant, Walensky said. Some research suggests that the strain is said to be more contagious, and possibly more deadly than other coronavirus mutations. Last month, experts anticipated that the variant would become dominant if it had not already taken over. At the time, the CDC did not release any information regarding the prevalence of the strain, but did agree that it was only a matter of time before it made up the majority of cases.

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

AB is 43% variants right now... We'll be well over 50 by the end of the month... May even be close to 100. Just bonkers how fast it transmits... 

Adler had a good interview with a Dr from Ontario talking about the Brazil variant.  Friggen scary as hell.  It's on a completely different level as far as transmisability.  He suggests N95 or doubled masks. It will transmit through the air rather than by droplet. 

41 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Adler had a good interview with a Dr from Ontario talking about the Brazil variant.  Friggen scary as hell.  It's on a completely different level as far as transmisability.  He suggests N95 or doubled masks. It will transmit through the air rather than by droplet. 

I've gone to double masking any time I'm in a business for any reason. I have the normal disposable as my inner layer and then a non-disposable filtered one as my outer layer. Definitely feel more comfortable/confident with this system now... 

I found this interesting because I found out the other day that someone I respect and admire has become a anti masker. She has fallen down the rabbit hole so to speak and I struggle to understand why a reasonable, intelligent, business woman could do that.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/08/among-covid-sceptics-we-are-being-manipulated-anti-lockdown

It helps a bit,.....maybe

12 hours ago, the watcher said:

It's insane... what happened to Adler? on his twitter feed, he has a retweet about baby cows becoming veal and that they should be with their mommy... this is a hard contrastt o the Charles Adler from CJOB...

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

It's insane... what happened to Adler? on his twitter feed, he has a retweet about baby cows becoming veal and that they should be with their mommy... this is a hard contrastt o the Charles Adler from CJOB...

He became "disillusioned" with the right. Gone back to his "liberal" roots. 

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Hey, I remember read his epiphany somewhere... his dad was a staunch progressive.

I'm always skeptical of anyone who peddles one thing, suddenly has an epiphany, and switches course. Feels like play to stay relevant. Don't know though. 

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently about a quarter of all the new cases reported yesterday are the variant.  The enemy is within our gates.

That should be a variant, not the variant... there are a few of them floating around (South Africa, UK, Brazil).  My understanding is that the Brazil one is the one of most concern, and hasn't arrived in Manitoba yet, but it's likely just a matter of time.

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

Keeping the restrictions in place is a great move. Big thumbs up. 

Winnipeg may need to look at adding further restrictions if the TPR continues to go up and if the variants of concern take over. 

We should go into another lock down. We always wait until the very last minute with always the same results... these VOCs are serious- that Bolosano Variant is pretty crazy. Lock it down before we join the ranks of all the provinces west of us and Ontario and Quebec.

Interesting opinion piece that kind of sounds familiar:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/opinion-lewis-muhajarine-neudorf-1.5978305

They underline what made other jurisdictions successful:

"The key to success was straight out of the preventive health manual: detect early and respond decisively. The east-Asian countries and Canada's Atlantic provinces that did so well locked down fast and hard when case numbers were still low, ramped up testing and tracing, and quickly flattened the curve. They could then lift restrictions and either keep them off permanently"

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Regarding "adding more restrictions": a word of caution from the west....... businesses (a large percentage) have told the government to shove it (essentially) and are staying open regardless of incoming restrictions. Mostly restaurants and fitness facilities that are fighting the rules. So far, Alberta Health Services have been lax in actually enforcing the rules. It took from December 17th until this past Tuesday for them to finally do something about the rogue church near Edmonton. Not sure what they'll do about all the restaurants and gyms that are claiming that they'll stay open unless physically shuttered by police and AHS. Hopefully MB is more rational and will just play by the rules a little bit longer!