Covid-19

JCon

Reported on CBC news this morning that there are two massive outbreaks in the Calgary area yesterday related to two workplaces, but the frightening thing is that 46%- almost half of the new cases are variants.  The epidemiologist interviewed said that Alberta is on the verge of a full-blown crisis and that (provincial) government inaction was mostly to blame,

Ya it's a ******* mess in AB. I'm tucked away in a small town but we still have 35 cases in a pop of less than 15k including rural. Way too high. The premier won't do anything about it because he's terrified of his hard right base that wants to just go wide open like Fla/TX (he actually mentioned this during his last presser). I also truly believe that they're intentionally going slow with the vaxx rollout so they can further blame the Feds. They have the doses but are very slowly getting them into arms and crying that they don't have enough doses. It's a horror movie right now... 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Well, at least someone is getting the shot. Wish it was more. 

Interesting that it was reported recently that a independent study found  that Manitoba had one of the best vaccine rollouts in Canada. It was reported in several news outlets. Bartley Kives questioning at the press conferences  borders on ignorant and belligerent.  And repeatedly when called on for his turn there is dead air which has happened enough that I suspect he walks away from his computer and isn't there when called upon. One of the worst reporter's in Winnipeg in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Interesting that it was reported recently that a independent study found  that Manitoba had one of the best vaccine rollouts in Canada. It was reported in several news outlets. Bartley Kives questioning at the press conferences  borders on ignorant and belligerent.  And repeatedly when called on for his turn there is dead air which has happened enough that I suspect he walks away from his computer and isn't there when called upon. One of the worst reporter's in Winnipeg in my opinion.

I would love to see that study. 

And, Bartley is an exceptional reporter. Unfortunately, they're really restricting access to reporters. 

I wonder where Brian is with his fire hose? 

Edited by JCon

Pretty sure Bart's take is based on simple math.....and therefore accurate. I saw Scott Billeck Tweet similar thoughts. They know how many doses have been shipped to each province...they know how many doses have been injected by the province.....the math isn't very difficult to find out that Manitoba is leaving a lot of doses in the freezer.

9 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Can you post a link?

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Can you post a link?

I'll have a look later. I'm heading out on the road now

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

I would love to see that study. 

And, Bartley is an exceptional reporter. Unfortunately, they're really restricting access to reporters. 

I wonder where Brian is with his fire hose? 

On Bart we will have to agree to disagree.  Questions are questions. Accusations,  and firing unanswerable  opinions are not my cup of tea. Or leaving a press conference with dead air multiple times to the point that they have to move on and come back later.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Pretty sure Bart's take is based on simple math.....and therefore accurate. I saw Scott Billeck Tweet similar thoughts. They know how many doses have been shipped to each province...they know how many doses have been injected by the province.....the math isn't very difficult to find out that Manitoba is leaving a lot of doses in the freezer.

yeah, here is a site that has pretty omprehensive data and stats on vaccine roll out in Canada and by province too.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

The Doses By Province graph backs up what Bart says.

Province Total Doses Administered Total Doses Delivered % of Doses Administered  Doses Administered / 100k Population People Fully Vaccinated 
Canada 6710588 (+155199 today) 10081750 66.6% 17655.72 721687
Ontario 2,621,839 (+76199 today) 4,022,875 65.17% 17,795.54 323,148
Quebec 1,592,197 (+39982 today) 2,334,695 68.19% 18,566.2 N/A
British Columbia 893,590 1,289,060 69.32% 17,365.25 87,472
Alberta 707,482 1,078,215 65.61% 15,977.05 116,198
Saskatchewan 227,471 (+5938 today) 284,995 79.81% 19,311.83 39,148
Manitoba 216,718 (+6630 today) 372,030 58.25% 15,708.93 62,656
New Brunswick 124,122 (+1893 today) 190,485 65.16% 15,886.29 12,257
Nova Scotia 116,436 (+2965 today) 200,250 58.14% 11,891.96 29,677
Newfoundland and Labrador 88,397 (+18546 today) 129,060 68.49% 16,966.85 9,654
Northwest Territories 37,655 51,600 72.97% 83,540.4 13,933
Yukon 35,470 51,400 69% 84,099.96 11,592
Prince Edward Island 27,448 (+2295 today) 39,585 69.33% 17,185.82 7,615
Nunavut 21,763 (+751 today) 37,500 58.03% 55,397.73 8,337
Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

I'm generally pretty supportive of the feds end of the vaxx rollout (the biggest problems lie with mistakes Harper made) but man, stories like that really make us look bad... also have read stuff online about how zoos in the states are vaxx-ing animals already......yeeeesh. 

I don't think its fair to put all the blame on Harper. I think Trudeau deserves blame for not building the capacity to manufacture vaccines in this country and for wasting time striking a deal with a State owned Chinese company and being later ordering than many other nations. Harper deserves blame for not building manufactering capacity and for the companies that scaled back or left during his tenure. Chretien deserves blame for lowering the amount of time that new drugs are under patent in Canada, making it less than many other nations which drives away these companies and Mulroney deserves blame for the privtiziation which took place in the late 80s which led to among other Connaught Laboratories being privatized. Its an issue going back over three decades that multiple PMs and both major parties deserve blame for.

Edited by rebusrankin

21 hours ago, JCon said:

Back in January/February, I think they started okay, when they were getting very few vaccines. They rolled those out the assisted living homes with teams of nurses. But, recently? I think they're sitting on a lot of doses. 

ml9WKbr.jpg

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2021-04-04 at 10:07 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If the Calgary City Police Chief won't let his force do their jobs then they shouldn't get funded. 

How Austin is actually responding to the call to transform its police budget

Homelessness in the U.S., which was already on the rise prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, increased in 2020, exacerbated by the economic realities of the pandemic. Austin, Texas, is no exception, with an estimated 11 percent increase in homeless people counted in the city and Travis County between 2019 and 2020, according to the point-in-time (PIT) count reported in the Austin American-Statesman. Of Austin's population of roughly 1 million, an estimated 2,500 people experience homelessness on any given night, according to the 2020 PIT count. Austin City Council member Gregorio Casar says this is a number "a community of [more than] a million folks should be able to care [for]."

In an effort to do so, the city of Austin has been purchasing underutilized hotels and transforming them into housing and services for people experiencing homelessness. In a February 4 meeting, the Austin City Council approved the purchase of a fourth hotel—which will provide 150 new homes to the homeless population in the city. Casar says the city plans to move forward on purchasing a fifth and a sixth hotel in the future.

"We have found sufficient resources in the city budget to acquire more hotels because we really believe that it's a strategy for significantly reducing homelessness in the city," he says.

In addition to providing long-term and transitional housing to people experiencing homelessness, the hotels purchased by the city will also provide supportive services, including mental health services, trauma services and job services.

How Austin is actually responding to the call to transform its police budget - Alternet.org

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Alberta back into restrictions. Who didn't see this coming when they eased them a few weeks ago? 

tenor.gif

Ehhhh "restrictions"... Not much changing and it definitely won't help the overall situation. We're gonna lose a lot more people before the vaccines take hold. Thankfully, for me, new vaxx rules make me eligible in AB tomorrow. Hoping I can get an appointment booked tomorrow morning... 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ehhhh "restrictions"... Not much changing and it definitely won't help the overall situation. We're gonna lose a lot more people before the vaccines take hold. Thankfully, for me, new vaxx rules make me eligible in AB tomorrow. Hoping I can get an appointment booked tomorrow morning... 

My wife is eligible tomorrow as well. Hope you both get in quick. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

you know what, the restrictions for restaurants will help. It is crazy how busy those places have become and none of the staff care about households (and I don't blame them, they don't need to deal with that crap) 

I feel bad for business owners who keep getting jerked around but people have proven time and time again in the past year that they can't be trusted to do the right thing. 

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm generally pretty supportive of the feds end of the vaxx rollout (the biggest problems lie with mistakes Harper made) but man, stories like that really make us look bad... also have read stuff online about how zoos in the states are vaxx-ing animals already......yeeeesh. 

I think the Feds did a good job of getting money out there and in a timely fashion. They did a terrible job on procurement. A huge mistake by getting in bed with the Chinese to jointly make one. Why deal with a country that was already upset with us ? The whole deal was bungled and it appears that China was just mining for technology. Then they switched to straight purchasing vaccines . But they were slow to do that. 

As far as blaming previous Govs for a lack of facility's  the UK had no production facilities when Covid hit.  They developed a vaccine and built a production facility. The UK is at about  %55 vaccination rate. Theres no reason we with a far more stable political situation shouldn't be.

14 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Edited by the watcher