Covid-19

JCon

Lots of good info in the MB Gov presser this morning, regarding the wait times at the convention centre, etc..... basically, "we're working on it...". They had some "casual" staff working who really didn't know what was going on, and that caused a lot of problems. They've now hired contract term staff who are there for realz and things should move a lot smoother now. I think it goes without saying, this is new for everyone...there's gonna be bugs to work out...but they'll get it figured. 

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

two women in their 40s have died after getting the illness, the province said in a news release Thursday.

One of the women was from the Northern Health Region while the other was from the Southern Health region, the release said.

The province also announced three more cases of coronavirus variants of concern, all in the Winnipeg health region.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-update-1.5972753

Pfizer Vaccine Is Effective for 6 Months, Works for South Africa Variant: Study

-Reuters
A new study has found that the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is effective on new variants, marking a step towards full FDA approval. In a clinical trial with 46,000 people, participants were at least 90% protected from symptomatic COVID-19 for six months after receiving a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Results show that 927 participants tested positive for the virus, and out of those, only 77 had received the vaccine, while 850 had received a placebo. The study also showed that Pfizer is effective against a virus mutation called B.1.351, more commonly known as the South Africa variant, which is said to be more contagious. “It’s really wonderful news that these vaccines continue to progress very rapidly toward licensure,” said Luciana Borio, a biotech official and former FDA scientist. The vaccine is currently authorized for emergency use only by the FDA.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

People in their 40s dying...man oh man. The further we get into this, with older generations being vaccinated, we're seeing younger and younger people being greatly affected by this virus. Absolutely terrifying...

Unfortunately, that's what has to happen for younger people to finally get scared & pay attention. Since January 2020, Covid was thought of as an "old person" disease. Anyone over 60-65. So, young people ignored health orders to keep everyone safe. They figured they'd never get sick & die. Well, guess what??

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Unfortunately, that's what has to happen for younger people to finally get scared & pay attention. Since January 2020, Covid was thought of as an "old person" disease. Anyone over 60-65. So, young people ignored health orders to keep everyone safe. They figured they'd never get sick & die. Well, guess what??

Most of them still won't get sick and die. 

There are certain trends that can already be seen:

1. Very few younger people had severe outcomes.  Even a 50% increase is not going to be significant.  

2. This will be mitigated further by vaccination. 

3. Many people are still being vigilant, which will also help with keeping things stable. 

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There are certain trends that can already be seen:

1. Very few younger people had severe outcomes.  Even a 50% increase is not going to be significant.  

2. This will be mitigated further by vaccination. 

3. Many people are still being vigilant, which will also help with keeping things stable. 

One thing I know about pandemics. Don't rely on trends as things change fast. You don't know what variants will mutate into in the months to come. 

I finally got my Pfizer Covid 19 vaccine Thursday, The clinic was in the old Greyhound Bus Station in downtown Calgary. No lineups. Didn't have to wait. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One thing I know about pandemics. Don't rely on trends as things change fast. You don't know what variants will mutate into in the months to come. 

I finally got my Pfizer Covid 19 vaccine Thursday, The clinic was in the old Greyhound Bus Station in downtown Calgary. No lineups. Didn't have to wait. 

There is a segment of the population that delves into the conspiracies.  But most people are just frustrated with the inconsistency of the regulations.  If own a restaurant, you better get every little thing right, or you will be closed. If you run a Big Box that sells groceries, you can stay open no matter what.  People working in ICUs are commenting on the high number of travel related cases.  Curbing that should be a bigger priority than shutting things down at home. 

Epidemiologist Who Helped Wipe Out Smallpox Issues Stark Warning About COVID-19 Variants

Epidemiologist Dr. Larry Brilliant, best known for his work eradicating smallpox, on Thursday expressed concerns over new coronavirus variants and stressed the need for a backup plan in addition to vaccinations to control the pandemic.

“I’m quite worried about the variants. We seem to be getting not only many variants, but variants of concern almost every week,” Brilliant told CNN’s Erin Burnett. Daily new infections in the United States have plateaued at around 60,000, and public health experts warn that a fourth wave of the virus could be about to crash down on the country.

A coronavirus strain that originated in South Africa, for example, renders the AstraZeneca vaccine 90% ineffective, Brilliant pointed out. A variant first seen in Brazil can allow reinfection, and one that emerged in the United Kingdom is more transmissible.

“I do think we have to have a backup plan in addition to vaccinating everybody as fast as we can,” said Brilliant. “I think we have to get really much better at outbreak containment, detecting of diseases, finding them, isolating them, and vaccinating them with the vaccine that matches the variant that our genomics tells us they have.”

Burnett asked if vaccine booster shots being developed against the variants would be enough.

“I think it could be that the booster does it,” Brilliant replied. “I’m hopeful that there’ll be boosters that vaccinate us and immunize us for everything since the last vaccine we had. But, in addition, we will have dozens of vaccines and some will match better against certain variants.”

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There is a segment of the population that delves into the conspiracies.  But most people are just frustrated with the inconsistency of the regulations.  If own a restaurant, you better get every little thing right, or you will be closed. If you run a Big Box that sells groceries, you can stay open no matter what.  People working in ICUs are commenting on the high number of travel related cases.  Curbing that should be a bigger priority than shutting things down at home. 

Or we can't have family over (in Alberta) yet churches can ignore health restrictions for gatherings indoor & nothing happens. 

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

For those choosing not to get the vaccine shot....good luck with that. 

Like 2 to 3 times a year, good luck with that.

The more people vaccinate the more dangerous it becomes for those that don't. I don't understand the fear or the conspiracy theories out there. I know a number of people who absolutely refuse to get it. They're in their 50's & 60's. It could be their funeral. 

37 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The more people vaccinate the more dangerous it becomes for those that don't. I don't understand the fear or the conspiracy theories out there. I know a number of people who absolutely refuse to get it. They're in their 50's & 60's. It could be their funeral. 

The same fear that there is about other vaccines.  The anti - Vax movement has influenced a significant portion of the population. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Or we can't have family over (in Alberta) yet churches can ignore health restrictions for gatherings indoor & nothing happens. 

Kenny does not want to alienate his base.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The same fear that there is about other vaccines.  The anti - Vax movement has influenced a significant portion of the population. 

You could consider that Darwin's theory in action.