Covid-19

JCon

Didn't see anyone post today's update, so I thought I would post some updates:

Bartley's got the goods- click on the tweet for the thread- it's pretty comprehensive.

CBC update:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid19-update-brent-roussin-1.5968088

Manitoba is also reporting 53 more COVID-19 cases and no new deaths from the illness on Monday.

Of those cases, most are in the Northern Health region — 27 — and in the Winnipeg area — 21. There are also two cases in both the Interlake-Eastern and Prairie Mountain health regions, and one case in the Southern Health region.

Manitoba's test positivity rate is 4.2 per cent, up from 3.9 per cent on Sunday. Winnipeg's rate is up to 3.3 per cent, from 3.1 the day before.

The total number of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Manitoba is up to 149 on Monday, from 140 the day before. That includes 27 patients in intensive care units.

The province now has 1,177 active cases of COVID-19, and 31,864 people have recovered from the illness.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

‘I'm Scared’: CDC Director Warns of ‘Impending Doom’ as COVID-19 Cases Climb
-Reuters
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention head Rochelle Walensky said she feels a sense of “impending doom” as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations tick back up, and pleaded with the public to continue masking up until a majority of the population is vaccinated, NBC News reported.

“I’m going to lose the script, and I’m going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom,” an emotional Walensky said at a Monday press conference. “We have so much to look forward to, so much promise and potential of where we are, and so much reason for hope. But right now I’m scared. I know what it’s like, as a physician, to stand in that patient room gowned, gloved, masked, shielded, and to be the last person to touch someone else’s loved ones, because their loved ones couldn’t be there.”

The recent increase in COVID infections comes as roughly 2.5 million Americans a day are being inoculated against the coronavirus. Walensky pointed to the emergence of more contagious variants, more people traveling, and governors reopening their states too quickly.

“We are not powerless,” said Walensky. “We can change this trajectory of the pandemic, but it will take all of us recommitting to following the public health prevention strategies consistently, while we work to get the American public vaccinated.”

• Jpan85 pinned and unpinned this topic
53 minutes ago, Tracker said:

‘I'm Scared’: CDC Director Warns of ‘Impending Doom’ as COVID-19 Cases Climb
-Reuters
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention head Rochelle Walensky said she feels a sense of “impending doom” as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations tick back up, and pleaded with the public to continue masking up until a majority of the population is vaccinated, NBC News reported.

“I’m going to lose the script, and I’m going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom,” an emotional Walensky said at a Monday press conference. “We have so much to look forward to, so much promise and potential of where we are, and so much reason for hope. But right now I’m scared. I know what it’s like, as a physician, to stand in that patient room gowned, gloved, masked, shielded, and to be the last person to touch someone else’s loved ones, because their loved ones couldn’t be there.”

The recent increase in COVID infections comes as roughly 2.5 million Americans a day are being inoculated against the coronavirus. Walensky pointed to the emergence of more contagious variants, more people traveling, and governors reopening their states too quickly.

“We are not powerless,” said Walensky. “We can change this trajectory of the pandemic, but it will take all of us recommitting to following the public health prevention strategies consistently, while we work to get the American public vaccinated.”

Yeah, it was pretty sincere... here is the video:

fire hose of vaccines incoming. Millions of Pfizer/Moderna per month, AZ shots from USA arrive today (and as soon as they're allowed again - hopefully soon - will be put to use), and now Pfizer says they're going to be upping their June shipment from 4.5 million doses to nearly 10 million. This summer, we's gettin' silly *******.... let's all stay safe till then. 

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

fire hose of vaccines incoming. Millions of Pfizer/Moderna per month, AZ shots from USA arrive today (and as soon as they're allowed again - hopefully soon - will be put to use), and now Pfizer says they're going to be upping their June shipment from 4.5 million doses to nearly 10 million. This summer, we's gettin' silly *******.... let's all stay safe till then. 

Manitoba Government needs to get ready and open at least another super site in Winnipeg, with the age qualification going down more and more younger people will be eligible and having 1 downtown location was a bad idea, the placement of that super site has also affected older folks especially ones with mobility issues from getting the vaccine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/covid-19-update-manitoba-march-30-1.5969661

Manitoba is reporting 77 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and no new deaths from the illness, a provincial news release says.

Of the new cases, 43 are in the Winnipeg health region. There are also 27 cases in the Northern Health region, five cases in the Southern Health region, and one case each in the Interlake-Eastern and Prairie Mountain health regions.

Another 11 screened or sequenced cases stemming from the more contagious coronavirus variants have also been identified, the province said Tuesday.

Of the newly identified variant cases, seven are in the Winnipeg health region, three are in the Southern Health region and one is in the Interlake-Eastern health region.

The newly announced cases involving coronavirus variants are not included in the province's daily total of new COVID-19 cases. Variant numbers are announced after a variant has been identified through screening or sequencing, which means they involve COVID-19 cases that were previously reported.

The total number of variant of concern cases in Manitoba is now 250.

Manitoba's test positivity rate is now 4.3 per cent, up from 4.2 per cent on Monday. Winnipeg's rate is up to 3.5 per cent, from 3.3 the day before.

The total number of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Manitoba is up to 150 on Tuesday, from 149 on Monday. That includes 31 patients in intensive care units.

The latest update comes after the province announced Monday that 136 cases of the more contagious coronavirus variants of concern had been identified in Manitoba.

24 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Manitoba Government needs to get ready and open at least another super site in Winnipeg, with the age qualification going down more and more younger people will be eligible and having 1 downtown location was a bad idea, the placement of that super site has also affected older folks especially ones with mobility issues from getting the vaccine.

Yeah, my office is a block away from the convention centre. It's been a virtual traffic jam trying to get to the convention centre, cars coming from every direction. My wife got the shot on Sunday, thank goodness she could use my parking space. They need to come up with a better plan.

16 minutes ago, itchy said:

Yeah, my office is a block away from the convention centre. It's been a virtual traffic jam trying to get to the convention centre, cars coming from every direction. My wife got the shot on Sunday, thank goodness she could use my parking space. They need to come up with a better plan.

Have to agree here.

I've been downtown a few times over the past few weeks, evening and weekends only, and finding a close spot to the Convention Centre is challenging. Seniors with walkers, canes and other mobility issues trying to get to and from their vehicles blocks away. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Have to agree here.

I've been downtown a few times over the past few weeks, evening and weekends only, and finding a close spot to the Convention Centre is challenging. Seniors with walkers, canes and other mobility issues trying to get to and from their vehicles blocks away. 

They are doing a poor job of letting people know but if you are going to the convention center for the vaccine, you can park for free in the parkade.

https://www.wcc.mb.ca/covid-immunization-clinic/

Indoor parking will be free for clients. A voucher will be handed out in the recovery area. Just present both the parking ticket and free parking voucher when exiting the parkade.

55 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

They are doing a poor job of letting people know but if you are going to the convention center for the vaccine, you can park for free in the parkade.

https://www.wcc.mb.ca/covid-immunization-clinic/

Which is great, except there's probably 100 cars waiting to get in there, and as JCon said, there's so little parking available in the surrounding area. It only seems to be getting worse. I've seen the line up down St. Mary almost to Main, a bunch of cars waiting to turn on to St. Mary from Hargrave, and a bunch more coming down Edmonton I believe. Add to that very little street parking in the surrounding area.

I think they're not advertising it because they can't manage it.

If I was in charge which I'm not but should be I would of put 4 super sites in the 4 corners of the city in unused city arena's for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. yes you might have to procure 3 more freezers for the storage but maybe you wouldn't and a centralized location would be suitable for housing the vaccines until needed at these sites. The ease of using these arena with a short walk and parking you would of been able to get many more people in and out, sure it would cost more but in these times is money more important that life.

7 minutes ago, itchy said:

Which is great, except there's probably 100 cars waiting to get in there, and as JCon said, there's so little parking available in the surrounding area. It only seems to be getting worse. I've seen the line up down St. Mary almost to Main, a bunch of cars waiting to turn on to St. Mary from Hargrave, and a bunch more coming down Edmonton I believe. Add to that very little street parking in the surrounding area.

I think they're not advertising it because they can't manage it.

Depends on the time of day I guess because when I went for my 1st dose on Sunday night, there was no line for the parkade.  Even the drop-off/pick-up area in front of the convention center only had a couple cars waiting to get in.  Street parking was fairly full on Edmonton & Carlton but there was lots open on Broadway, which is where I parked & walked from.  I fully expected it to be busier and I showed up early in case I needed to walk from a distance but I was able to find parking easily.

'These numbers are incredibly encouraging': Vaccines show major success in protecting nursing homes

Jacksonville, Fla. - Barbara Bufano gets the COVID-19 vaccine at Naval Hospital Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 15, 2021. Vaccines are currently being offered to on-base health care personnel and first responders assigned to Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Naval Station Mayport and critical national capabilities forces, deploying forces, frontline essential workers, and beneficiaries age 75 and older. COVID-19 vaccines are not available by walk-in for non-hospital personnel.

New Covid-19 cases have plummeted by 96% in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities since late December, a report published Tuesday by the industry group American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living revealed.

AHCA/NCAL reports (pdf) a decline in new U.S. weekly nursing home cases from 33,540 on December 20 to 1,349 on March 7, according to data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Widespread coronavirus vaccinations began in early January, when new nursing home cases dropped precipitously.

The industry groups also said there has been a 91% decline in coronavirus-related deaths in nursing homes, dropping from over 6,000 in December to 547 this month.