Covid-19

JCon

22 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/marketplace/marketplace-covid-conspiracy-boot-camp-1.5963503

Imagine being such an ignorant, misinformed piece of **** that you'd willingly waste your time and money on helping spread lies and conspiracy theories peddled by an American anti-vaxxer.

Human stupidity is the pandemic for which there seems to be no cure.

I hate being a cranky old man but when I read that  I just want to go on a old man rant about people having no common sense. I KNOW people that have spent their life using crutches because of polio. It's not that long ago. Vaccines saved everyone from that. F##k people are stupid !

"The new variant quickly spread from Kent across London and southern England, going from an estimated 3% of cases in England at the end of October to 96% at the start of February.  The surge pushed Britain’s Covid death toll into six figures; it now stands at 126,000. Two-thirds of those deaths have occurred since Sept. 20, when the variant was first detected.  "

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-uk-variant/

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, JCon said:

It's like 36% of all active cases.

The variants are three times more deadly? (I need to find the source for this. Just heard it.)

well the UK variant is more transmissible but not as deadly (but I heard this early in that things discovery so, god knows what changed)

Edited by iHeart

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's like 36% of all active cases.

The variants are three times more deadly? (I need to find the source for this. Just heard it.)

"U.K. scientists now say the variant is probably 30 to 70 percent more deadly, based on a follow-up study by the government released Friday that assessed a larger sample size of covid-19 patients and also found a higher rate of hospitalization."

(Article from late February, so things may have changed.)  (Also post above about its spread through England.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/02/13/virus-variant-first-detected-uk-has-been-deadlier-study-confirms/

Edited by Wideleft

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I had heard they weren't more deadly...please share if you find it.

First thing I've found. I'm looking for more. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/b117-explainer-variant-alberta-1.5962924

Is it more deadly?

There is evidence that suggests B117 is more likely to result in severe illness compared to the wild type, but experts caution more research is needed. 

In a study published in Nature earlier this month, U.K. researchers found the variant increased the risk of death by 55 per cent. While that number is concerning, the researchers note it translated to an absolute risk of death from 0.6 per cent to 0.9 per cent in men aged 55 to 69.

An analysis by Danish researchers, meanwhile, found a 64 per cent greater risk of hospitalization among variant cases.

Existing research led U.K. government scientists to conclude the variant was "likely" linked to an increased risk in hospitalization and death. 

But Smith says the data from the U.K. comes from a time when that country's health-care resources were stretched, which could have contributed to higher rates of severe outcomes. 

This does not address the mortality but it does have some info on the number of variants are of concern (in the US). 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/variant-surveillance/variant-info.html

Edited by JCon

it's ******* scary, no matter how you slice it, and you absolutely do not want any part of it. Stay home unless you absolutely HAVE to be out and avoid contact with as many people as possible. In AB, where we're a giant tire fire, I am really wishing for another "lock down" (meh) until June, when a lot more people are vaccinated. Things could get really really bad over the next two months if they don't do something...

The variant B117 is really starting to ramp up in terms of cases, looking West is seems like is was a good idea for the MB Gov to not loosen restrictions, more vaccines coming into Canada next week and next month so we need to get those into the arms as soon as possible cause this variant is close to getting out of control

Holy mother of **** balls... during this entire pandemic- for this last year, I have not heard news or reports that frightened me, concerned sure- frightened? Never. 

Until now... this is pretty scary- this newer P1 variant out of Brazil... here is a thread:

The most concerning part of this, BC:

Damn...

2 to 2.5 TIMES more contagious

Chance of reinfection for those who already had the "wild" Covid19 strain...

many more people aged 20 to 30 dying

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy