Covid-19

JCon

"Manitoba also announced 12 new cases of more contagious coronavirus variants: 11 of the B117 variant first identified in the U.K., and one of the B1351 variant first reported in South Africa."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-update-march-18-1.5954754

Should we be concerned...? Probably...

But, yeah- let's open up and loosen more restrictions... 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Until everyone is vaccinated, I'd keep everything as locked down as they possibly can. We've made it this long, we can last another few months. The good news is that the vaccines appear to be very capable against the new variants. Just have to buy time until we can administer enough vaccines...

Immunocompromised guy here. Expecting my first child in a few weeks. There's my bias. "Our" decision to live with Covid has meant I haven't been able to go to any of the prenatal appointments. I'm concerned we are inviting another wave that may prevent me from being present at the birth. Not a big fan of loosening restrictions when mass vaccinations are underway and at least somewhat of an end is in sight. Would really like to feel comfortable being around friends again too. Thankfully all 3 of my 80+ year old grandparents have all received one vaccine shot though.

2 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I have seen a few reports that the AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffectual against the  B1351 variant first reported in South Africa. 

Like I said, there have only been a few reports- anyone have anything more concrete arguing either side?

There is so much bullshit being disseminated out there, and not just about COVID and variants, that it is increasingly difficult to tell what is true.

Having little ones in school- I found this to be a very useful tool, so I thought I would share:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/6e7af13b3ffb447a99734b0119b169d3/

This map that shows infections in schools for the last 14 days is awesome too:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/6e7af13b3ffb447a99734b0119b169d3/page/page_3/?views=view_10

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

28 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Having little ones in school- I found this to be a very useful tool, so I thought I would share:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/6e7af13b3ffb447a99734b0119b169d3/

It's still incomplete, unfortunately. They don't count the pre-schools that are in the schools and don't count every child that tests positive. It's good for those that were reported. 

On 2021-03-16 at 4:43 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No, I'm serious. When the kids in the USA went back to college/school all ya heard was outbreaks there and u look at the covid totals for Manitoba, it went up late Aug/early Sept.

What do you think Manitoba is? North Dakota, South Dakota? Montana? Nebraska? Give me a break. Most if not all are GOP governors who followed Trump's beck & call. No leadership on the Covid file from Washington so no leadership on Covid at the State level.

Trump didn't like masks. So, the GOP governors didn't like masks. Trump felt the virus was fake or at the very least the flu so the GOP Governors felt the same. Trump never followed the advice of experienced medical advisers like Fauci so the GOP governors didn't as well in their States or had a Yes Man or Woman in place that followed what their Governor wanted.

You can't compare what happened in the US to Canada. What is saving  America's ass is that they have vaccine production facilities & we don't. So the US can go all out vaccinating its citizens while we rely on vaccine delivery supply chains from Europe & India which have been & will be  interrupted in the future. Biden is hoarding vaccines while other countries suffer.  

Stats that can be skewed to the user's perspective  when comparing what has happened after schools in Manitoba reopened to what happened in the US. Trump politicized the virus. You were a Democrat if you wore a mask & Republican if you didn't. It cost hundreds of thousands of lives. Trump knows it but I bet he sleeps very well at night not sorry at all. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you think Manitoba is? North Dakota, South Dakota? Montana? Nebraska? Give me a break. Most if not all are GOP governors who followed Trump's beck & call. No leadership on the Covid file from Washington so no leadership on Covid at the State level.

Trump didn't like masks. So, the GOP governors didn't like masks. Trump felt the virus was fake or at the very least the flu so the GOP Governors felt the same. Trump never followed the advice of experienced medical advisers like Fauci so the GOP governors didn't as well in their States or had a Yes Man or Woman in place that followed what their Governor wanted.

You can't compare what happened in the US to Canada. What is saving  America's ass is that they have vaccine production facilities & we don't. So the US can go all out vaccinating its citizens while we rely on vaccine delivery supply chains from Europe & India which have been & will be  interrupted in the future. Biden is hoarding vaccines while other countries suffer.  

Other than stats that can be skewed to the user's perspective, you have no basis in scientific fact to back up what you say. Comparing what has happened after schools in Manitoba reopened to what happened in the US.

Overall I agree with what you're saying. But at one point we had a similar or high infection rate then North Dakota. Also Trump and the GOP never thought this was fake or just a flu. He/they knew early the severity of it, but didn't want to impact the economy so they purposefully down played it. 

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Overall I agree with what you're saying. But at one point we had a similar or high infection rate then North Dakota. Also Trump and the GOP never thought this was fake or just a flu. He/they knew early the severity of it, but didn't want to impact the economy so they purposefully down played it. 

Which is worse as Trump lied & it costs lives because of it. He put the economy ahead of preventing deaths. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Alberta, today was the first day my age group (65) could book. My vaccination appointment is for March 31st. 

seriously REALLY happy for you, Al! My old man is the same age, so he's got a bit yet (in MB), but should be in the next couple weeks, hopefully...

My parents and Grandparents will all have it by end of next week. Its a relief. My parents had the local pharmacy call them and say they could get the AstraZeneca and would be able to do their shots their.  Both just under 65 but both have underlying conditions that would leave them vulnerable so were one of the first people the pharmacy called.

Just now, iHeart said:

looks like at this rate both of my parents will be eligible by next week

Are they booking online themselves? If so, I would recommend that they set up their accounts now. It's really quick but it will delay them when they go to make their appointments. 

The way it's been going, 2 years each day. They should try logging in each morning, as they've been accepting the lower ages before the announcement is made. 

Now, that's just between you and me. Don't go telling everyone else. ;)