Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Here's some sobering news. If true, the world as we know it will cease to exist. 

When Will Covid Pandemic End? Vaccine Calculator Shows 7 Years at Current Rate - Bloomberg

A lot of "ifs", but if we here in Canada vaccinate a high percentage of us, herd immunity will ensure that any inbound transmission will likely die out quickly (poor choice of words) or be very localized.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

A lot of "ifs", but if we here in Canada vaccinate a high percentage of us, herd immunity will ensure that any inbound transmission will likely die out quickly (poor choice of words) or be very localized.

Viruses mutate that's why we'll never have herd immunity. Just like the flu. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Will depend. I have read that some of these new strains are stopped, or at least slowed down by the current vaccines. It all depends.

Mutations occur within living hosts- not in the environment. Therefore, if you prevent the initial virus from surviving in the host long enough to mutate, the problem is prevented.

20 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Now THAT is a dip

Here's how it works this week...

I think i got covid.

You should get tested.

Too damn cold to go out.

Therefore low numbers.

Doses received: 66,090
Doses administered: 48,187
Proportion administered: 72.9 per cent

Manitobans fully immunized: 14,533
Manitobans aged 18 and up: ~1,032,145
Proportion of Manitobans 18 and up fully immunized: 1.4 per cent

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Here's how it works this week...

I think i got covid.

You should get tested.

Too damn cold to go out.

Therefore low numbers.

Doses received: 66,090
Doses administered: 48,187
Proportion administered: 72.9 per cent

Manitobans fully immunized: 14,533
Manitobans aged 18 and up: ~1,032,145
Proportion of Manitobans 18 and up fully immunized: 1.4 per cent

Here’s the progression of the test positivity rate and the trends in the last week:

Mon. - 89 cases/1603 tests=5.55%, 3 deaths, 104 hospital, 27 ICU

Tue. -  83/1410=5.89%, 0 deaths, 99 hospital, 24 ICU

Wed. - 126/1833=6.87%, 3 deaths, 105 hospital, 22 ICU

Thu. - 110/2183=5.04%, 2 deaths, 109 hospital, 20 ICU

Fri. - 110/2232=4.93%, 1 death, 115 hospital, 23 ICU

Sat. - 82/1529=5.36%, 4 deaths, 101 hospital, 23 ICU

Sun. - 80/1434=5.58%, 4 deaths, 105 hospital, 21 ICU

Today - 53/1373=3.86%, 4 deaths, 105 hospital, 15 ICU 

And active cases got cut in half over yesterday, so clearly some data backlog clearing. So we ARE seeing a drop in new cases that is not just because of fewer tests, even though tasting was lower (probably due to the cold as you say). Besides, if people won’t go out and test because of the cold, then they are at least socially distancing by staying at home as well, so that will keep infection rates down. 

New Variants Raise Worry About COVID-19 Virus Reinfections.  Scientists discovered a new version of the virus in South Africa that’s more contagious and less susceptible to certain treatments.

Evidence is mounting that having COVID-19 may not protect against getting infected again with some of the new variants. People also can get second infections with earlier versions of the coronavirus if they mounted a weak defense the first time, new research suggests.

How long immunity lasts from natural infection is one of the big questions in the pandemic. Scientists still think reinfections are fairly rare and usually less serious than initial ones, but recent developments around the world have raised concerns.

In South Africa, a vaccine study found new infections with a variant in 2% of people who previously had an earlier version of the virus.

In Brazil, several similar cases were documented with a new variant there. Researchers are exploring whether reinfections help explain a recent surge in the city of Manaus, where three-fourths of residents were thought to have been previously infected.

In the United States, a study found that 10% of Marine recruits who had evidence of prior infection and repeatedly tested negative before starting basic training were later infected again. That work was done before the new variants began to spread, said one study leader, Dr. Stuart Sealfon of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

“Previous infection does not give you a free pass,” he said. “A substantial risk of reinfection remains.”

New Variants Raise Worry About COVID-19 Virus Reinfections | HuffPost

WHO Says It’s Found No Evidence That the Coronavirus Came From Wuhan Lab

Reuters/
World Health Organization investigators working in China say they’ve found absolutely no evidence to support the theory that the coronavirus originated in a Wuhan laboratory—and they think it’s such an outlandish theory that they’re going to bring an end to their research into it. Peter Ben Embarek, an animal-diseases expert, announced the decision during a press conference following a long-awaited visit by WHO experts to the city of Wuhan, where the virus was first identified. Embarek said it’s “extremely unlikely” that the virus came from a lab, and that the most likely cause of the initial outbreak was the virus jumping from an undetermined “intermediary host species” to humans. The lab-origin theory was fueled by the U.S. State Department under President Donald Trump, which claimed last month that it had obtained intelligence that researchers at the lab became sick with COVID-19-like symptoms in autumn 2019.

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So much for hotel stay and the negative test before flying.

Name and shame. 

But, they probably came back before the new protocols come in. 

If I read one more sob story piece about snowbirds having troubles getting back into Canada, I'm going to barf. 

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

Name and shame. 

But, they probably came back before the new protocols come in. 

If I read one more sob story piece about snowbirds having troubles getting back into Canada, I'm going to barf. 

I noticed over the weekend that Pallister's BTT director was in Vegas for a UFC event... that counts as essential travel right? 🙄

Edited by bigg jay

9 hours ago, JCon said:

And they hid this info and have a very limited press conference. 

Live broadcast conference with Roussin and Pallister at the desks. Questions from media. How is this hiding the info? Roussin said he found out about the result approx 9pm Monday night, 11am Tuesday they are telling us. Just proves that you can do everything right and someone is still going to **** on you.