Covid-19

JCon

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/chief-of-peguis-first-nation-rejects-premier-s-call-to-end-holiday-gatherings-1.5234900

1 of many. 

Sometimes it's not the governments fault. Sometimes it's the people who are stupid. 

Peguis isn't in the North and, as of earlier this week, there were no cases linked to gatherings during the holidays on the reserve at Peguis. 

Peguis isn’t in the North but their have been cases due to gathering over the holidays. A friend of my wife visited over Christmas, when they came back to Winnipeg, the sister he was staying with in Peguis tested positive for COVID, it was pretty bad but she is recovering.  He and his family didn’t have any symptoms but were tested. Out of the 5 of them that went he and his 2 children tested positive. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/peguis-first-nation-zero-active-cases-covid-19-1.5869568

'A great achievement': Peguis First Nation marks 25 days without new case of COVID-19

From the article: 

Holiday visits

During the relaxed lockdown days, visitors had to register first and were screened with questions prior to entering the community. If eligible, they had to stick to one designated household during the visit. After they left, members of that household had to isolate for four days. 

In mid-December, Premier Brian Pallister condemned the plan, calling it a "massive mistake" and urged Hudson not to allow it to happen. Pallister also called on federal Minister of Indigenous Services Marc Miller to condemn the plan. 

But Hudson said the nation is equipped to handle visitors and can make its own decision. 

"We implemented a four-day isolation for those homes to make sure that there were no COVID cases in the community. So when you look at it from that standpoint, our protocols were more rigorous than what the province or the country has in place," he said.

Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said Monday there are currently 538 cases of COVID-19 linked to in-person holiday gatherings in Manitoba, and these cases had 2,879 close contacts.

Hudson said since the successful visitation period, he's had a handful of First Nations reach out to him and ask how the plan was implemented.  

"We made that information available and made recommendations to them," Hudson said. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I find it ironic that two of the premiers that I would have thought would have fumbled the COVID crisis have been two of the most adept. I have personal issues with the way Pallister has managed the province, but for the most part, I have to applaud his actions in the pandemic. 

51 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I find it ironic that two of the premiers that I would have thought would have fumbled the COVID crisis have been two of the most adept. I have personal issues with the way Pallister has managed the province, but for the most part, I have to applaud his actions in the pandemic. 

Only thing that #restartmb helped was the mortuary business.

CORONAVIRUS:  ‘The Idiocy Continues’: Nurses Refuse to Give COVID Shots

Kansas is in the middle of a coronavirus emergency, but some health-care workers are spreading misinformation instead of healing.
In a country where up to a third of health-care workers decline the COVID vaccine, all four nurses at a rural Kansas county health department have taken the unreasoning distrust of science a step further by refusing even to give the shots to those who want them.

“My staff is not comfortable with that,” Health Department administrator Lindsay Payer told the Coffey County Board of Commissioners at a meeting earlier this month.

A video of the meeting in the county courthouse shows that all five commissioners were wearing masks, but Payer was not. A majority of the board had deemed that to be her right when they voted to opt out of a statewide mask mandate in late November.

Coffey County, Kansas, Nurses Refuse to Give COVID-19 Vaccines (thedailybeast.com)