Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

I cautiously agree, we have to be careful with what's going on in Ontatrio and what 's starting to happen in Saskatchewan  

Totally agree. I'd love for the gyms to be open but can wait. I feel like 25% capacity allows us to buy some non essentials (I need some new pants too) and allows small businesses to make some money (worried about people losing jobs, businesses, homes etc) but in a controlled way. I suggested the travel ban/quarantine due to Ontario and Saskatchewan's numbers. I don't want to see us open it up like say July right away.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-uk-variant-ontario-couple-charges-1.5869379

The first known cases in Canada of the U.K. variant of the coronavirus were discovered only by fluke, and the couple who fell ill are now facing public-health charges, CBC News has learned. 

The woman and man, from Durham Region east of Toronto, had contact with a traveller from the U.K. prior to falling ill, the provincial Health Ministry said last month. 

But the ministry also indicated the man and woman initially withheld that information. 

"Additional investigation and follow-up case and contact management has revealed that the couple had indeed been in contact with a recent traveller from the U.K., which is new information not provided in earlier interviews," the ministry said in a Dec. 27 statement, one day after it said the couple had had "no known travel history, exposure or high-risk contacts."

The Durham Region Health Department confirmed to CBC News that both are facing charges, but would not comment further on the case, citing that the matter is before the courts. The couple has not been named publicly

18 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Seems like the North is having its problems while rest of the province is on the right track.

This is why there was the fear of the virus getting into remote communities and First Nations, because it's like a shrapnel grenade going off in a phone booth. Not much different than PCH's - both are very vulnerable populations.

Edited by Stretch

There is optimism as we see fewer cases across the province. This is because “YOU” have made good decisions in regards to your activities and gatherings. There will always be those who choose not to adhere to the rules, but the majority of people did the right thing during Christmas and New Years and the numbers are reflecting that. That means we can prepare for reopening at a slow pace. We don’t want to return to this type of lockdown. This process will be slow but productive if done correctly.

All provinces (except the Maritimes) are now seeing alarming increases because they did not impose restrictions during Christmas and have only done so recently.
I’m happy to share as you can see that Manitoba is on the right track and cases are down substantially. This also means we have to proceed with caution and we will.
This is far from over but as I said before, we feel cautiously optimistic. There will be information shared sometime next week.

- MLA Eileen Clarke

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:
There is optimism as we see fewer cases across the province. This is because “YOU” have made good decisions in regards to your activities and gatherings. There will always be those who choose not to adhere to the rules, but the majority of people did the right thing during Christmas and New Years and the numbers are reflecting that. That means we can prepare for reopening at a slow pace. We don’t want to return to this type of lockdown. This process will be slow but productive if done correctly.

All provinces (except the Maritimes) are now seeing alarming increases because they did not impose restrictions during Christmas and have only done so recently.
I’m happy to share as you can see that Manitoba is on the right track and cases are down substantially. This also means we have to proceed with caution and we will.
This is far from over but as I said before, we feel cautiously optimistic. There will be information shared sometime next week.

- MLA Eileen Clarke

Subtext: We were such a disaster for so long, our government completely botching the restrictions, that we were already in a full Code Red for a month and a half before Xmas came and so, only by our mismanagement of the pandemic, we were in lockdown. We remain a shameful embarrassment. 

Lung damage after COVID-19 is worse than smokers' lungs: surgeon

U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Ian Krug, left, a registered nurse with the 59th Medical Wing, stationed in Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, works with U.S. Air Force Capt. Ramil Labiran, right, a registered nurse with Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and Staff Sgt. LaShauna Brown, center, a medical technician and noncommissioned officer in charge of the pediatric intensive care unit of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., in a makeshift expansion of the intensive care unit at University Medical Center in El Paso, Texas, Nov. 16, 2020. U.S. Northern Command, through U.S. Army North, remains committed to providing flexible Department of Defense support to the Federal Emergency Management Agency in support of the whole-of-America COVID-19 response.

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to ravage states across America, one surgeon has issued a warning that may serve as a reminder to stay vigilant. According to CBS News, Dr. Brittany Bankhead-Kendall, a Lubbock, Texas trauma surgeon, tweeted an observation of COVID's impact on the lungs as she highlighted the likely long-term difficulties people will face.

"Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

During an interview with CBS Dallas-Fort Worth, Bankhead-Kendall revealed what she thinks is far worse than the mortality rate that most people focus on. She expressed concern about the long-term impacts COVID-positive and even asymptomatic people may face.

"Everyone's just so worried about the mortality thing and that's terrible and it's awful," she told the publication. "But man, for all the survivors and the people who have tested positive this is — it's going to be a problem."

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Subtext: We were such a disaster for so long, our government completely botching the restrictions, that we were already in a full Code Red for a month and a half before Xmas came and so, only by our mismanagement of the pandemic, we were in lockdown. We remain a shameful embarrassment. 

Lol.  And a month later some of the heralded provinces are a disaster. 

I think if the tpr continues to fall and the hospitals continue to release patients then the Code Red Restrictions will be lifted in Winnipeg and the surrounding areas next Friday, I don't think that restaurants will be allowed for dine in just yet but some other businesses will be allowed to reopen with distancing and limits

Edited by bustamente