Covid-19

JCon

34 minutes ago, bustamente said:

United States had over 4,000 deaths yesterday for the first and they say it's going to get much worse, they also are having a tough rolling out the vaccines.

With the situation and attitudes the way they are in the US, I doubt if they will make any dent in the COVID for a long time to come.

NEW Last updated: January 9, 2021

Public health officials advise seven additional deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today including:

• a male in his 50s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region;
  • a male in his 40s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • a male in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • a female in her 80s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • a female in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre;
  • a female in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Deer Lodge Centre; and
  • a female in her 100s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Oakview Place Personal Care Home.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 9.9 per cent provincially and 9.4 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 203 new cases of the virus have been identified, bringing the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 26,166.

Today’s COVID-19 data shows:

• seven cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
  • 54 cases in the Northern health region;
  • 38 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • 19 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
  • 85 cases in the Winnipeg health region.

The data also shows:

• 4,664 active cases and 20,769 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
  • there are 229 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 84 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 313 hospitalizations;
  • there are 33 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as four people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care for a total of 37 ICU patients; and
  • the total number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 733.

Laboratory testing numbers show 2,181 tests were completed yesterday bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 437,412. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

I had a sister in law who is in hospital waiting to be admitted to the COVID ward for two days and was finally transferred today. She had two false positives before a third confirmed the infection. Even so, she is in a high-risk group and is far from being out of the woods.

Calgary pastor says church will continue to break COVID-19 rules, days after health order issued

Sarah Rieger · CBC News · Posted: Jan 10, 2021 2:26 PM MT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Pastor Tim Stephens of Fairview Baptist Church in southeast Calgary was issued a public health order, after an inspection found almost no attendees or church staff wearing masks or distancing. (Fairview Baptist Church/YouTube)
Police and Alberta Health Services responded to a southeast Calgary church on Sunday, after the pastor continued to encourage congregants to break public health rules following a fine and health inspection order. 

Pastor Tim Stephens wrote in an emailed newsletter to Fairview Baptist Church congregants on Wednesday that he had received a $1,200 fine from Calgary bylaw officers for violating public health orders. 

"I addressed the regulations theologically, scientifically, legally, and politically. I knew that receiving a fine would be a real possibility. Having received one now, the course is unchanged," he wrote, adding that he would not be following the restrictions and reducing capacity to ensure physical distancing or enforcing mask use within the church.

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Both.  I’m just tired of large retailers being able to operate. 

It is pretty bogus. A tattoo is about as non-essential as a thing can be, but tattoo parlors (any good ones) are as sterile as a dentist's office. If Canadian Tire gets to sell pup tentsand BMXs in the middle of winter.... why can't this guy tattoo butterflies on ankles?

44 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

It is pretty bogus. A tattoo is about as non-essential as a thing can be, but tattoo parlors (any good ones) are as sterile as a dentist's office. If Canadian Tire gets to sell pup tentsand BMXs in the middle of winter.... why can't this guy tattoo butterflies on ankles?

That's just it. You can't tell me 1000's of people a day going through a Walmart, Costco, or Canadian tire is safer than being in a small store, or an establishment such as this that already had stringent protocols in place. Restaurants and bars (or family gatherings) I get- they've been proven to be spreaders. That's what I've seen and heard from a lot of people that are pissed off about the lockdown. It's not often that they deny, it's a hoax, or what ever, it's that the decisions made seem so arbitrary, do not appear to be with thoughts to actually protect the community, and favour large corporations over smaller workplaces. 

I did like that guy's response though. He certainly didn't come off as being entitled or above the law.