Covid-19

JCon

Bombshell Sun Sentinel investigation reveals DeSantis ordered Florida health officials ‘not to discuss’ COVID with public

In contrast to the governors who aggressively promote social distancing measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic — from Republican Larry Hogan in Maryland to Democrat Gavin Newsom in California — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has often joined President Donald Trump in downplaying the pandemic's severity. A recent South Florida Sun Sentinel investigation showed how badly DeSantis misled Floridians on COVID-19's dangers, and CBS 4 Miami (the CBS television affiliate in that city) interviewed one of the reporters who worked on that investigation: Mario Ariza.

Ariza told CBS 4 Miami, "In the weeks leading up to the election, we essentially discovered that the DeSantis Administration had ordered public health officials not to discuss the COVID-19 virus with the public. So, no press releases about COVID-19 were coming out from the Florida Department of Health. And the Florida Department of Health's messaging to the public shifted remarkably online. The term that we kept hearing again and again for this was 'blue sky' messaging, in the lead up to the election."

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Bombshell Sun Sentinel investigation reveals DeSantis ordered Florida health officials ‘not to discuss’ COVID with public

In contrast to the governors who aggressively promote social distancing measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic — from Republican Larry Hogan in Maryland to Democrat Gavin Newsom in California — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has often joined President Donald Trump in downplaying the pandemic's severity. A recent South Florida Sun Sentinel investigation showed how badly DeSantis misled Floridians on COVID-19's dangers, and CBS 4 Miami (the CBS television affiliate in that city) interviewed one of the reporters who worked on that investigation: Mario Ariza.

Ariza told CBS 4 Miami, "In the weeks leading up to the election, we essentially discovered that the DeSantis Administration had ordered public health officials not to discuss the COVID-19 virus with the public. So, no press releases about COVID-19 were coming out from the Florida Department of Health. And the Florida Department of Health's messaging to the public shifted remarkably online. The term that we kept hearing again and again for this was 'blue sky' messaging, in the lead up to the election."

How can this not be a crime? What a broken system.

Ecstatic about this. My mother in law is in LTCH because of MS (she's only 63, but functions essentially like an 80 year old...******* MS...) and will be among the first to receive in AB. It's really the only thing I wanted for Christmas. 

15 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I agree. We need to be better at complying with the orders they have in front of us now. Took the dog for a walk late evening yesterday and saw several houses that had small groups together. Saw someone I know that sells to our company visiting friends, gathered around the island. I saw him visiting the same friends in the summer, no question in my mind who it was. Not letting him in the building anytime soon. 

People should realize if their house backs on to a park with walking trails it is very easy to see inside your house. 

As best as I can understand it we have a growing number of outbreaks in PCH’s and the “ under housed population”. TPR isn’t going to go down until we start doing more wide spread general testing. 

There needs to be more focus on what is necessary, rather wondering why the government is not announcing this or that.  We're all aware that some things are arbitrary, that does not give us an excuse to not follow regulations. 

I mean, if a Police Officer decides to be arbitrary and gives us a warning instead of a speeding ticket - do we then look for situations where we might not get caught speeding?

29 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Batty, I tell you. All Senate Republicans are batty.

I don't know...did you read the article? Someone having questions about the side effects of a new drug are labelled conspiracy theorists and anti vaxers...? That's bullshit. Having concerns is 100% needed and necessary. We need people who question things. That's good science. I'm also 100% against government making this mandatory. I'm sure if I stopped there, loads of people would be willing to right me off as anti vaxer. But I'll be getting the vaccine when it's available. Because I trust science. Not because the government told me to. Doing anything that way is dangerous and not acceptable in a free society.

Edited by Bigblue204

31 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

We need people who question things.

She also a proponent of hydroxychloroquine, so that’s quite a stance right there. Hear her and tell me she’s not “out there”.

Besides do they really want more questions about the vaccines after they’ve been deemed safe? They want as many people as possible to take the vaccine. This would help in fighting the virus. 

I agree, we always need more information, just not from some quack.

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that the level of dishonesty and corruption in US politics has increased slowly and inevitably to the point where almost anything that happens now is greeted with a shrug. 

I get that but I thought Justice was blind. Putting aside the politicians for a sec, some in our legal community need to be held more accountable and we need to question the validity of their ‘objectivity’ and ‘I only look at the rule of law’ horsesh*t.

18 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I wonder if they can restrict travel for people who decline the vaccination... international or domestic, coming or going....

This is just my two pennies but within one's own country, I'd say highly unlikely. Here in Canada, I think that would violate one's Mobility Rights as per the Charter. I'd expect similar instances in other developed/first world countries.

Internationally is another story altogether, though. I think it'll be up to individual countries to determine what's required for travel, such as the MMR vaccine being required to enter certain European countries or yellow fever vaccination in certain African countries.

In the case of COVID-19, I fully expect a number of countries to make vaccination a requirement for entry. Travel beyond one's borders is a privilege, IMO.

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I desperately want the idea of a Covid Passport to come about. You can't attend any live large gathering event or travel anywhere without proving that you've been vaccinated. Why should the sane suffer at the hands of the crazy?

People crazy enough to not get the vaccine once widely available would also be crazy enough to forge legal documents like, say... a COVID passport?