Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Another 14 RIP.

Well they are bypassing the usual protocols right? Peer review anyone?

Don't think so... see my message above.  Apparently everything is as usual without the red tape and time consuming process of getting money approved.  Everything else is following proper protocols.

Unfortunately I don't have a source for that, I think I heard it on CBC radio a week or so back.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Another 14 RIP.

Well they are bypassing the usual protocols right? Peer review anyone?

14 minutes ago, Sard said:

Don't think so... see my message above.  Apparently everything is as usual without the red tape and time consuming process of getting money approved.  Everything else is following proper protocols.

Unfortunately I don't have a source for that, I think I heard it on CBC radio a week or so back.

Good article here:

Ten years' vaccine work achieved in about 10 months. Yet no corners cut in designing, testing and manufacturing.

They are two statements that sound like a contradiction, and have led some to ask how we can be sure the Oxford vaccine - which has published its first results showing it is highly effective at stopping Covid-19 - is safe when it has been made so fast.

Dr Mark Toshner, who has been involved in the trials at sites in Cambridge, said the idea that it took 10 years to trial a vaccine was misleading.

He told the BBC: "Most of the time, it's a lot of nothing."

He describes it as a process of writing grant applications, having them rejected, writing them again, getting approval to do the trial, negotiating with manufacturers, and trying to recruit enough people to take part. It can take years to get from one phase to the next.

"The process is long, not because it needs to be and not because it's safe, but because of the real world," Dr Toshner said.

Safety has not been sacrificed. Instead the unparalleled scientific push to make the trials happen, the droves of people willing to take part, and of course the money blew many of the usual hold-ups aside.

That does not mean problems will not appear in the future - medical research cannot make those guarantees. Usually, side-effects of vaccines appear either at the time they are given or a few months afterwards. It is possible that rarer problems could emerge when millions of people are immunised, but this is true of every vaccine that has ever been developed.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

33 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yeah, no. I am going to get mine as soon as I can. I'll chance the possibility of becoming the "Undead" over the actual dead.

I think we will be a bit behind in Canada, compared to other countries. So we will benefit from that "testing". I will get it when I can, but am not at the front of the line as far as risk goes (not a healthcare worker or in a home).

7 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I think we will be a bit behind in Canada, compared to other countries. So we will benefit from that "testing". I will get it when I can, but am not at the front of the line as far as risk goes (not a healthcare worker or in a home).

Nah, it’ll be in the arm like everywhere else.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Seems to be working in Steinbach only 6 cases today and they have been steadily going down the past week or so. 

With a 40% test positivity rate. some level of herd immunity may have been achieved.  There will be numerous asymptomatic individuals who did not get tested. 

Alberta announced its vaccine rollout "plan" this afternoon. Long term care residents and front line workers get it between Jan-March. Summer will see general senior population get it. Everyone else, not till September at the earliest. 

Keep wearing your masks and distancing... We're a long way from over this thing. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Alberta announced its vaccine rollout "plan" this afternoon. Long term care residents and front line workers get it between Jan-March. Summer will see general senior population get it. Everyone else, not till September at the earliest. 

Keep wearing your masks and distancing... We're a long way from over this thing. 

CBC report says situation in hospitals is very serious. The province has requested field hospitals from both the Red Cross &  the federal government. This is what we get for putting the economy over peoples lives. 

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

CBC report says situation in hospitals is very serious. The province has requested field hospitals from both the Red Cross &  the federal government. This is what we get for putting the economy over peoples lives. 

How do you think the Notley government would have handled the Pandemic? 

Apparently the latest vaccine to be rolled out for approval has been vetted in Britain and will be distribuuted in a matter of days. It seems to me that their approval processes will be substantially the same as Canda's, so why would it not make sense to review their protocols. If they are essentially the same as what Canada would be using, why not rubber-stamp them and start bringing in the GB vaccine as soon as available rather than repeating the process?

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently the latest vaccine to be rolled out for approval has been vetted in Britain and will be distribuuted in a matter of days. It seems to me that their approval processes will be substantially the same as Canda's, so why would it not make sense to review their protocols. If they are essentially the same as what Canada would be using, why not rubber-stamp them and start bringing in the GB vaccine as soon as available rather than repeating the process?

True but January still the earliest we getting some.

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not economy first. Not getting rid of health care workers?

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not economy first. Not getting rid of health care workers?

Kenney is second lowest in popularity of the Premiers. He just has this air about him that he is an ideologue protecting his base & whether it's 500 deaths or 50,000 that he doesn't care one bit. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I think there is a huge issue with the Pfizer vaccine's logistics... to keep it refrigerated to minus 70 degrees, requires an insane amount of resources and infrastructure- it would make more sense to focus on approval for the Moderna one. That one, only requires minus 20 degrees refrigeration.

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

How do you think the Notley government would have handled the Pandemic? 

She never would have picked health care workers & physicians as scapegoats. That somehow they are responsible for out debt & deficit here in Alberta. I think we would have gone into some kind of lockdown by now. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

As bad as thing are here in Manitoba I can’t believe the shitshow that Alberta appears to be. Once a Mecca for Canadians wanting to make bank it is now below SK in places people would be willing to move.

They must be putting something new in the water out there, friends and family that have always been normal educated people have been posting some weird stuff lately.