Covid-19

JCon

Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do atm about the elderly and infirmed as this virus seems to take them quickly, even worse we will just have to ride out these deaths for a while longer to get thru this cycle, going forward they must be protected with strict regulations so that this can never happen again.

At least a glimmer of good news there. Recovered cases outpaced new cases for the first time since September I believe, so total cases are down. Deaths are going to increase for a bit I fear since they always lag behind case increases, but hopefully the measures are starting to take effect in terms of lessening transmission. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

TP is slowly going down. That's good news but I thought it would have dropped a lot more after the Code Red restrictions implemented a month ago. 

There is a 2-3 weeks lag between identifying an infected person and them becoming ill. We need to watch the % of positives and the number of recovereds vs newly infected. We will see the significant drop (if it happens) next week if the restrictions are working.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

TP is slowly going down. That's good news but I thought it would have dropped a lot more after the Code Red restrictions implemented a month ago. 

There is a 2-3 weeks lag between identifying an infected person and them becoming ill. We need to watch the % of positives and the number of recovereds vs newly infected. We will see the significant drop (if it happens) next week if the restrictions are working.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Any people that I'm aware of who got ill and/or seriously ill from Covid 19, were sick within a week of their exposure.  Asymptomatic people will generally test negative.  

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

Lewis Hamilton tests positive and will miss the race this weekend, his car says no problem I can win the race myself

He' going to miss out on the most wins in a season because of this. I know his performance tends to make F1 a bit boring (but what a crash Sunday), but he certainly has talent.

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Any people that I'm aware of who got ill and/or seriously ill from Covid 19, were sick within a week of their exposure.  Asymptomatic people will generally test negative.  

The research shows that once an individual has contracted the virus, illnesses show up (rarely) in 2 days but most began to display symptoms at 12 days but a few as late as 14 days.

14 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The research shows that once an individual has contracted the virus, illnesses show up (rarely) in 2 days but most began to display symptoms at 12 days but a few as late as 14 days.

Man, I don’t know.  I’m aware of a scenario where two people were exposed at the same event.  They both got tested, one of them was negative initially, but later tested positive, once he had symptoms.  This was all within 7 days of exposure. 

Further, CDC indicates a range of 2 - 14 days, with a median of 5 - 6 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

When we look back at this we are going to be amazed at how fast the vaccines came out. I remember in the spring in this very thread people where saying that it would take years before there would be a vaccine. It's a amazing what can be done when a major crisis like this happens.

I remember reading a thing back in March/April, when this first all went down, about the scientists working on the vaccine. It said, essentially, "It's like a hockey team full of Connor McDavid's and Sidney Crosby's all shooting at the same goal. Good things will happen and they'll happen fast. Never before have all the smartest people in the world been working together on a common goal..." 

Just now, Noeller said:

I remember reading a thing back in March/April, when this first all went down, about the scientists working on the vaccine. It said, essentially, "It's like a hockey team full of Connor McDavid's and Sidney Crosby's all shooting at the same goal. Good things will happen and they'll happen fast. Never before have all the smartest people in the world been working together on a common goal..." 

I've heard that another contributing factor was that nobody had to stop between stages to try and raise money for the next stage because it had already been allocated, unlike when they are doing other vaccines.  All of the trials and stages are taking the usual amount of time without the red tape to slow things down.

I do get Christmas break off but I still have to come in during the extended break. It would be nice to get a little extra work done in peace and quiet and if I can be able to move the tables blocking most of the book shelves because the multi media lab had to spread out because of social distancing and since most of them are in the way it's making it difficult for me to shelve books. 
Edited by iHeart

So, up until today, I hadn't heard of anyone I know that had/has covid. I just found out my Uncle was intubated on the weekend. I talked to a few people about it and most of them had vastly different experiences as many of them have had lots of people they know personally been affected by Covid...

How about you guys? What are some of your experiences? It seems me and mine have been very fortunate, and as a result of that fortune- have a very skewed perception of the pandemic.

Looking forward to the responses.

Stay safe and healthy my fellow board members. 

Know tons of people that have had it. Some with mild symptoms, some with life threatening illness. Late 40s woman with no underlying conditions was scared she was going to die. It was that bad. Happened to them in July and they're still seeing symptoms. It's incredibly scary stuff that you do NOT want any part of. Wear your mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, and stay healthy....

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

When we look back at this we are going to be amazed at how fast the vaccines came out. I remember in the spring in this very thread people where saying that it would take years before there would be a vaccine. It's a amazing what can be done when a major crisis like this happens.

This. It's almost as if the human race and thus civilization as a whole functions more efficiently when we put aside our differences and work together towards a common goal during a world-altering event. Cooperation and compassion can do wonders for us all. Here's hoping this sort of collective mindset can be applied to solving other important global issues in the 21st century.

Another 14 RIP.

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Well they are bypassing the usual protocols right? Peer review anyone?