Covid-19

JCon

they probably won't do anything about schools until there is a bad outbreak in at least one school per division(but that's just what I think). Just because it sounds like there is something that will  be ready next year doesn't mean people have to act stupidly

Edited by iHeart

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm on the fence on this. We haven't seen much transmission in the schools, apparently, and they have made them safer (finally!!!) by reducing the class sizes. 

However, kids are still getting and transmitting Covid. Not as quickly as adults. But, they're not being truthful about the spread in schools. They keep saying that they're not seeing school transmissions but several students/teachers/staff are getting it somewhere. It can't only be during recreation and outside. 

I wonder about the asymptomatic kids who pass it on the asymptomatic parents who then spread it to the rest? Our testing is horrible and slow but we are supposed to believe that we have a handle on where the spread is? March numbers were better but now the schools stay open? I guess we wait and see.....

Just now, bb1 said:

I wonder about the asymptomatic kids who pass it on the asymptomatic parents who then spread it to the rest? Our testing is horrible and slow but we are supposed to believe that we have a handle on where the spread is? March numbers were better but now the schools stay open? I guess we wait and see.....

RE: March. We went full lockdown because we didn't know how quickly this would spread or how quickly our health system would be overwhelmed. It seems contradictory on the surface but the circumstances matter. 

But, we've been slow to react, in my opinion. So, our healthcare system is overwhelmed. 

I still think that quick test results and quick contract tracing is the only way we're going to get this under control. Since we don't have that, they're shutting things down. That's the only alternative. Our health system has been spread thin and has been since before the pandemic hit. It's a concerted effort to reduce costs in healthcare by reducing capacity. 

Schools are the next place to go, I guess, if these measures don't work. 

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

RE: March. We went full lockdown because we didn't know how quickly this would spread or how quickly our health system would be overwhelmed. It seems contradictory on the surface but the circumstances matter. 

But, we've been slow to react, in my opinion. So, our healthcare system is overwhelmed. 

I still think that quick test results and quick contract tracing is the only way we're going to get this under control. Since we don't have that, they're shutting things down. That's the only alternative. Our health system has been spread thin and has been since before the pandemic hit. It's a concerted effort to reduce costs in healthcare by reducing capacity. 

Schools are the next place to go, I guess, if these measures don't work. 

Yep here is where i saw these concerns. https://www.forbes.com/sites/mishagajewski/2020/10/26/school-reopenings-and-relaxed-gathering-limits-have-the-biggest-impact-on-covid-19-cases/?sh=5c93dbab6f2c

3 hours ago, JCon said:

But, they're not being truthful about the spread in schools. They keep saying that they're not seeing school transmissions but several students/teachers/staff are getting it somewhere. It can't only be during recreation and outside. 

Maybe when less than 10 of their friends came over to the house for a visit? Just a thought.

Just now, Stretch said:

Maybe when less than 10 of their friends came over to the house for a visit? Just a thought.

I have no doubt that some of the transmission is occurring outside the schools but within the cohort (socializing). But, since they're so far behind and so poor at contact tracing, maybe some of it is happening inside the school. 

They say that there's little evidence of school transmission but they can't tell you where it's happening, that's an issue. 

26 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

If everyone would download the tracing app it would seem like it would be easier to do contract tracing.

But, the app will only be effective when contract tracers give the infected person the code, quickly. They're still behind and people are not getting their codes. 

For the sake of one of my childs sanity... I hope the schools remain open.   The children really are not mentally coping well with being locked down at home.    I spoke with a few other parents who decided to homeschool and they are severely regretting the decision with the main reason that the childrens mental health is really poor being isolated by themselves.   

Thankfully our school division is good and the school and the teachers are really doing a bang up job of keeping the kids in cohorts and teaching in a new manner. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

Schools are now actively gathering information on essential workers, breaking them into tier 1 & 2. Frontline workers and essential workers. 

The lockdown is coming. 

I was more than a little surprised that they didn't mention schools.  March 23 was the day we shut down in Spring, with 24 cases.  But remote learning is such a gong show - and a hybrid model is even worse.  They are being informed about this every day by MTS.  

Also, many parents who chose homeschooling and remote learning are seriously regretting their decision.  

My prediction: unless the situation gets even worse, they will have as 'tough it out' until December, then make it an extended Christmas Break. 

36 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I had some doomsday stuff all typed up and ready to post but I thought screw it, why ruin what little optimism you guys seem to have left. We're all going to see soon enough anyways...

tumblr_ncxdy1mAmC1qhvd5so1_500.gif

Optimism gif posts start meow.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Two Winnipeg teams in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League have been surreptitiously booking ice time outside the city to get around COVID-19 restrictions.

The Winnipeg Blues and Winnipeg Freeze — both owned by 50 Below Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the Western Hockey League's Winnipeg Ice — have been booking ice in Warren under a different name, an anonymous source reported.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/junior/winnipeg-blues-freeze-caught-on-video-breaking-mjhls-covid-lockdown-rules-573034151.html

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

22 hours ago, Brandon said:

For the sake of one of my childs sanity... I hope the schools remain open.   The children really are not mentally coping well with being locked down at home.    I spoke with a few other parents who decided to homeschool and they are severely regretting the decision with the main reason that the childrens mental health is really poor being isolated by themselves.   

Thankfully our school division is good and the school and the teachers are really doing a bang up job of keeping the kids in cohorts and teaching in a new manner. 

I dunno. When I was in high school, I did what I could to skip classes. I liked school as my friends were there but that was it & we liked to leave when we wanted or stay away if we could. Now, we'll have student who will be appalled to skip school. ;)