Covid-19

JCon

We have a looming problem- there is either a shortage or rationing of N95 masks, as well as PPE gowns and gloves in many of the hospitals and nursing homes . This is so prevalent that nurses are not eating or going to the bathroom often for fear that there will be no replacement PPEs when they have to gown up again. Often the staff are using the non-N95 masks and some are contracting the virus. This is entirely preventable and comes down to attempted cost-saving by management.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

We have a looming problem- there is either a shortage or rationing of N95 masks, as well as PPE gowns and gloves in many of the hospitals and nursing homes . This is so prevalent that nurses are not eating or going to the bathroom often for fear that there will be no replacement PPEs when they have to gown up again. Often the staff are using the non-N95 masks and some are contracting the virus. This is entirely preventable and comes down to attempted cost-saving by management.

I thought we were blaming alcohol and drugs today? 

So, my kid woke up with a sore throat and runny nose on Monday, and given then new guidelines that means our entire family has to self isolate until his test results come back. The timeline I was given is 2-4 days. I am sorry but that is insane. Either a) both my kids miss a week of school and our work lives are disrupted because one of them has a cold, or b) 4 days from now we have to trace our steps to notify recent contacts they might have been exposed to covid over a week ago.

Neither of these is acceptable. Until test results are available same day, you are going to have parents and caregivers ignoring the rules because it is just not sustainable.

Upside is I get to watch my largely healthy kids fight over the Playstation while I try to listen to a Teams call.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

So, my kid woke up with a sore throat and runny nose on Monday, and given then new guidelines that means our entire family has to self isolate until his test results come back. The timeline I was given is 2-4 days. I am sorry but that is insane. Either a) both my kids miss a week of school and our work lives are disrupted because one of them has a cold, or b) 4 days from now we have to trace our steps to notify recent contacts they might have been exposed to covid over a week ago.

Neither of these is acceptable. Until test results are available same day, you are going to have parents and caregivers ignoring the rules because it is just not sustainable.

Upside is I get to watch my largely healthy kids fight over the Playstation while I try to listen to a Teams call.

I agree. It's an impossible situation. I'm thankful my work situation allows me to be flexible but this is not the case for most. And, for those that need to work to get paid and need to be paid to keep up with the bills, this is a disaster. 

But, let's blame alcohol and drugs for the government's inability to address the problems and react in a crisis. 

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Yeah I ran into that problem on a Thursday a while back- My youngest was sick, so My wife and I took both our kids and made a day out of it. We had a Covid test day and then had a long weekend. 

Sorry about your inconvenience- it sucks, I know.  But know that, I (and I am sure a lot of others) really appreciate you being responsible, considerate of other people and an all around good egg. Thanks dude!

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Have you ever tried to homeschool kids during this pandemic- its like herding cats.

Remote learning has only been possible starting this week at our school and I'm not even sure it's happening yet. 

NEW Last updated: November 3, 2020

Public health officials advise five additional deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported today, including:

• a female in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region;
  •  female in her 80s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region, related to an outbreak at Maples personal care home.
  • a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region; and
  • a male in his 90s from the Winnipeg health region.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 8.6 per cent and 103 new cases of the virus have been identified as of 9:30 a.m. However, a case was removed as it was from out of province. This brings the total net new cases today to 102 and number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 6,377.

The test positivity rate in Winnipeg is 9.3 per cent. Officials advise this number does not reflect the situation in other parts of the province, as cases continue to be identified outside Winnipeg.

Today’s data shows:

• 13 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 12 cases in the Northern health region;
  • two cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • 15 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
  • 61cases in the Winnipeg health region.

The data also shows:

• 3,495 active cases and 2,797 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
  • there are 130 people in hospital and 20 people in intensive care; and
  • the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 85.

Laboratory testing numbers show 2,410 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 265,264. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

We need to get the hospitalizations down and get all those in icu to recover, a glimmer of hope for the cases but the deaths keep happening and people are still being admitted into the hospitals

Agreed, that was what the lockdowns were originally for back in March- to keep the health care system from being overrun. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

NEW Last updated: November 3, 2020

Public health officials advise five additional deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported today, including:

• a female in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region;
  •  female in her 80s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region, related to an outbreak at Maples personal care home.
  • a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region; and
  • a male in his 90s from the Winnipeg health region.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 8.6 per cent and 103 new cases of the virus have been identified as of 9:30 a.m. However, a case was removed as it was from out of province. This brings the total net new cases today to 102 and number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 6,377.

The test positivity rate in Winnipeg is 9.3 per cent. Officials advise this number does not reflect the situation in other parts of the province, as cases continue to be identified outside Winnipeg.

Today’s data shows:

• 13 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 12 cases in the Northern health region;
  • two cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • 15 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
  • 61cases in the Winnipeg health region.

The data also shows:

• 3,495 active cases and 2,797 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
  • there are 130 people in hospital and 20 people in intensive care; and
  • the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 85.

Laboratory testing numbers show 2,410 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 265,264. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

Better but a long way from good.

Three Winnipeg businesses have  been fined for violating provincial COVID-19 restrictions.

Bar Italia Cafe, at 737 Corydon Ave., has been slapped with a $5,000 fine for serving liquor to patrons there on Nov. 2, the first day provincial restrictions ordered restaurants and bars to close to patrons indoors. Take out and curb side pickup is allowed.

The Pony Corral Restaurant and Bar was fined $5,000 for still having patrons in its premises after 11 p.m., not making sure people were seated, and allowing dancing. It is not known when this incident took place but the restaurant was fined on Monday.

And the Pembina Hotel was fined $5,000 on Monday for not making sure its customers had left by 11 p.m. Once again it is not known when the incident took place.

I'm hearing schools in Winnipeg will be moving to remote this week. I guess this would mean remote schooling on Monday.

This will be the recommendation and we'll see what the province does with it. 

Edited by JCon