Covid-19

JCon

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It hasn't even snowed or got cold yet. 

I know. It's really bad right now and it's not even cold. 

My kids are starting swimming next week. I'm getting apprehensive about sending them, balancing the need for physical activity and socialization with the risk of exposure.

They've been doing dance for the past month and I'm very pleased with the precautions that have been implemented from their arrival to their departure. But, I could see them moving to online classes very soon. 

Just now, JCon said:

My kids are starting swimming next week. I'm getting apprehensive about sending them, balancing the need for physical activity and socialization with the risk of exposure.

They've been doing dance for the past month and I'm very pleased with the precautions that have been implemented from their arrival to their departure. But, I could see them moving to online classes very soon. 

This is just me but I think people in general won't take Covid seriously until schools get closed down again. That seems to jar people into thinking this is serious. They stay open while health officials & politicians lecture us constantly. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, tough spot for you & your family. Glad we didn't have to fo through this when our kids were growing up. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sports was a big part of our kids life growing up. Both our kids played football & baseball. My youngest also played basketball. To have those taken away from them would have been sad. 

My oldest was set to play flag football in spring, youngest soccer. Both were expected to play basketball this fall along with indoor soccer (or something else). 

I bought a basketball net for them this year, which got good use. And, when the snow flies, I'll make them shovel and tell them it's training for something. 

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

"This government is telling people, keep these businesses open, keep these bars open, keep these restaurants open, business as usual. But then at the same time, they want to blame people for going to the bar," Dougald Lamont said.

The problem with Dougald's quote is that is patently false. Business as usual? The government has reduced capacity, mandated masks shortened the operating hours and is looking to regulate noise levels as well. They are trying everything they can to keep people employed while trying to balance public health. They have said time and time again that it is safe to go out IF you follow all the recommended public health directives. It will come to the point that people follow along and these business will be able to stay open under these guidelines or they will be forced to close. 

I still feel restaurant dining with family is safe, not sure I would want to go hang out in a lounge with 9 others that I only see occasionally and don't know what they do the rest of the time.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So the Florida-LSU football game got postponed because of a COVID outbreak amongst some Gator players, a few days after the coach called on students to “pack the swamp” (90,000 seat stadium). And now Alabama coach Nick Saban says he has contracted the virus. 

Who has been super serious and careful through the whole pandemic. He's been leading the way. 

38 minutes ago, JCon said:

Who has been super serious and careful through the whole pandemic. He's been leading the way. 

I watch college football & they don't seem to be social distancing at all in the stands. Some games look crowded & it is sad that these teams don't take a leadership role with Covid. These universities must all be run by Trump Republican syncophants. 

This has become a gongshow and the Gov'ts unwillingness to do anything about it tells you a lot about them.

Blame everyone else is the PCs motto. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I watch college football & they don't seem to be social distancing at all in the stands. Some games look crowded & it is sad that these teams don't take a leadership role with Covid. These universities must all be run by Trump Republican syncophants. 

Oh, I agree. They've been packing the stands and it's a mess. 

But, I think Saban, himself, has been a very good leader on the issue. 

I know it wouldn't be an easy thing to do...and expensive for the Feds, who'd have to pay out more CERB money......but I think we're getting close to that time where we go back to the beginning. Shut everything down for 2 or 3 months. Anything that's non-essential, shut it down. Everyone stays home...no gatherings of any kind. Let's nip this in the bud.

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know it wouldn't be an easy thing to do...and expensive for the Feds, who'd have to pay out more CERB money......but I think we're getting close to that time where we go back to the beginning. Shut everything down for 2 or 3 months. Anything that's non-essential, shut it down. Everyone stays home...no gatherings of any kind. Let's nip this in the bud.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be 2 or 3 months.  Twice the virus lifecycle is all that's really required to flatten the curve and get things under control.  That's only 28 days.

If we don't shut down soon, the hospitals are going to get crushed.

9 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The thing is, it doesn't have to be 2 or 3 months.  Twice the virus lifecycle is all that's really required to flatten the curve and get things under control.  That's only 28 days.

If we don't shut down soon, the hospitals are going to get crushed.

Yes, unlike at the beginning, before we knew much about the virus and before we were equipped to protect our frontline workers, we can do systematic shutdowns. We know more and don't need to close everything. Just some things. 

I don't want our economy to go back into the tank, so we need to kick this in the butt right now!

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thanks for the update. 

I just wanted to add the breakdown:

The new cases announced on Thursday include:

•  six cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  •  three cases in the Northern health region;
  •  eight cases in Prairie Mountain Health region;
  •  23 cases in the Southern Health – Santé Sud health region; and
  •  133 cases in the Winnipeg health region.