Covid-19

JCon

A tale from rural MB:

We do most of our shopping in Winkler. Here are some things from our last 2 trips. We had things to pick up at Wal-Mart and the maskless lady in front of us was stopped and given the choice of buying one for a buck or leaving . She left. In the entire store there was maybe 2 or 3 that were not masked.Probably %99 compliance.  We went to the Super Store for groceries.Despite the big sign claiming they have made masks mandatory there was no one watching the front. I would estimate less than %50 of customers were wearing masks. Worse yet , maskless staff with carts blocking half the aisle restocking shelves. Canadian Tire ? Maybe % 5 of customers with masks and not a single solitary worker had one on . I have a deep suspicion that comes from management. I fully expect a massive outbreak in Southern Health.

Some unfortunate news regarding a potential vaccine in Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/oxford-vaccine-covid-19-pause-1.5717719

Another front-running team in the race to develop a COVID-19 vaccine has put a late-stage trial on hold after a reported "unexplained illness" in one of the trial volunteers. Here's a look at the two pauses and what they mean for the quick development of a COVID-19 vaccine.

The two vaccine makers that paused the trials are:

• The University of Oxford and pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, which announced their pause on Sept. 8. The company is running Phase 3 trials involving thousands of people in the United Kingdom and smaller numbers of people in Brazil and South Africa. It is also recruiting 30,000 people in the United States for its largest study. The trials have since resumed in the U.K., Brazil and South Africa, but regulators have not yet approved them to resume in the U.S.
  • Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, which announced their pause on Oct. 12. The company is running both early and late-stage clinical trials and did not say which the volunteer participated in. However, Johnson & Johnson said it was pausing all its COVID-19 vaccine trials. That includes a Phase 3 trial that started in late September and aimed to enroll 60,000 volunteers in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, South Africa and the U.S.

Canada has deals to purchase tens of millions of doses of vaccine from each of the two companies if they make it through clinical trials and are approved.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Some unfortunate news regarding a potential vaccine in Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/oxford-vaccine-covid-19-pause-1.5717719

It is unfortunate, but expected. If these trials didn't come up with any hiccups, I would be ver suspect in the safety of the vaccine- the large clinical trials are working as intended.

A 1 in 2000 chance to develope a debilitating or fatal side effect would have devastating consequences of it slipped through the clinical trial process. Its a good thing that they are investigating these "mysterious illnesses".

NEW Last updated: October 13, 2020

Public health officials advise the 35th death due to COVID-19 have been reported, a male in his 70s from the rural east district in Southern Health. This was a previously announced case.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 3.5 per cent and 124 new cases of the virus have been identified as of 9:30 a.m. bringing the total number of cases in Manitoba to 2,779. Of the 124 news cases, 26 were identified Monday, 83 were identified Sunday, and 15 were identified Saturday due to a backlog of cases.

Today’s data shows:

• 16 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 1 case in the Northern health region;
  • three cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • nine cases in the Southern Health - Santé Sud health region; and
  • 95 cases in the Winnipeg health region.

The data also shows:

• 1,248 active cases and 1,496 individuals have recovered from COVID-19;
  • there are 28 people in hospital and five people in intensive care; and
  • the number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 35.

Laboratory testing numbers show 2,383 tests were completed Friday, 3311 were completed Saturday, 2049 were completed Sunday and 2188 were completed yesterday bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 213,669. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

As I see it not all new case happen in 1 day, lets wait and see what happens in the coming weeks to see if mask wearing and earlier closings will have any effect.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/world-canada-covid-19-oct-14-1.5761430

The latest:

• Manitoba hits new high in daily COVID-19 case counts.
  • New Brunswick declares outbreak at second special-care home.
  • 5 hand sanitizers added to Health Canada's evolving recall list.
  • U.K. resists national lockdown despite study suggesting it could save lives.
  • Iran virus death toll hits record high, 3rd time in week.
  • Japanese study suggests use of humidifiers may help limit infections in winter.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-covid-pandemic-lockdown-1.5761244

I agree with this:

"But we can't simply lock down things every time because, really, it's not going to be a two-week lockdown. After two weeks, we'll be right back to where we were, if we go back to the same activities."

In other words, the key to getting the Winnipeg outbreak under control is getting Winnipegers to change their behaviour and actually choose to stay the heck away from each other as much as possible before they're ordered to do so.

But I also can see the point:

"This government is telling people, keep these businesses open, keep these bars open, keep these restaurants open, business as usual. But then at the same time, they want to blame people for going to the bar," Dougald Lamont said.

It's a catch 22 and I would not want to be in the position of decision making for this. 

But, there is one silver lining here:

The saving grace right now are the health-care indicators — hospital capacity, intensive-care capacity and the supply of protective equipment — are all looking good at the moment.

"One of the biggest goals of a pandemic response is to minimize severe outcomes and the burden on the health care system," Roussin said Tuesday. "Right now, we're not seeing that strain on our health-care system."

It's really a mix-bag of nuts right now... sheesh.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lock downs are short term answers. What we need is a reliable treatment. Anyone expecting a vaccine within a year...can I also interest you in a bridge i have for sale?

I'm sure there will be vaccines in some countries with slightly skeptical testing methods.

The next big clusterfudge should be Stoney. Up to 10 or so.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lock downs are short term answers. What we need is a reliable treatment. Anyone expecting a vaccine within a year...can I also interest you in a bridge i have for sale?

It isn't only vaccines though. It is also better treatments. That was a big part of the initial reason for a lock down. Learn about the virus and how to better treat it.

Just in case people have been listening to the idiot down south, no it's not going to disappear like a miracle, and no a vaccine is not on the horizon, it's going to be us for a long time and kill many more, be smart be safe wear a mask wash your hands, use sanitizer and it you don't need to go out don't, but if you do minimal contact is your best bet. Oh and one more thing is you fell sick or un well don't go to work and stay the hell home.

6 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Just in case people have been listening to the idiot down south, no it's not going to disappear like a miracle, and no a vaccine is not on the horizon, it's going to be us for a long time and kill many more, be smart be safe wear a mask wash your hands, use sanitizer and it you don't need to go out don't, but if you do minimal contact is your best bet. Oh and one more thing is you fell sick or un well don't go to work and stay the hell home.

and someone needs to tell him that he is not immune from it, this ain't chicken pox, catching COVID again IS possible

I'm guessing they aren't accepting donations either

On 2020-10-13 at 1:07 PM, JCon said:

4.4% 5-day test positivity rate in Winnipeg. 

This was the test positivity rate for Winnipeg yesterday. It's now the test positivity rate for Manitoba. Winnipeg is likely even higher now but I haven't seen the figure.