Covid-19

JCon

How Covid-19 myths are merging with the QAnon conspiracy theory

Online and in real-life demonstrations, two viral conspiracy theories are increasingly coming together.

At first glance the only thing they appear to have in common is their vast distance from reality.

On one hand, QAnon: a convoluted conspiracy theory that contends that President Trump is waging a secret war against Satan-worshipping elite paedophiles.

On the other, a swirling mass of pseudoscience claiming that coronavirus does not exist, or is not fatal, or any number of other baseless claims.

These two ideas are now increasingly coming together, in a grand conspiracy mash-up.

Linked up

It was apparent on the streets of London last weekend, where speakers addressing thousands of followers at an anti-mask, anti-lockdown demonstration touched on both themes. Posters promoting QAnon and a range of other conspiracy theories were on display.

On Sunday, President Trump retweeted a message claiming the true number of Covid-19 deaths in the United States was a small fraction of the official numbers. The tweet was later deleted by Twitter under its policy on misinformation.

The account that posted it - "Mel Q" - is still live, and is a copious spreader of QAnon ideas.

QAnon's main strand of thought is that President Trump is leading a fight against child trafficking that will end in a day of reckoning with prominent politicians and journalists being arrested and executed.

Mel Q is just one of many QAnon influencers who have also been plugging coronavirus disinformation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-53997203

13 minutes ago, Stretch said:

5 day test positivity rate is now 1.4% (was 1.3% yesterday). Maybe that will make Noeller feel a little more comfortable about visiting Manitoba. Maybe...😀

my asymptomatic test result came back this morning -- negative, of course -- so I promise I'm not bringing anything with me. The wife and I are pretty hyper-vigilant about COVID protection. BRING ON MY VICTORIA BEACH CABIN!!!

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

my asymptomatic test result came back this morning -- negative, of course -- so I promise I'm not bringing anything with me. The wife and I are pretty hyper-vigilant about COVID protection. BRING ON MY VICTORIA BEACH CABIN!!!

CBC Breaking News: 

Travel Restrictions Back In Place For Travellers

cbc.ca/news/Manitoba/New_Travel_Restrictions

1 minute ago, JCon said:

CBC Breaking News: 

Man, if you're gonna tell me that I'm forced to stay in MB for 14 days and not go back to AB...........twist my arm. The fishing is just starting to get good.....

4 hours ago, JCon said:

CBC Breaking News: 

Oh you filthy Bastard.... i read it and went " oooooh nooooooo" and wife said "what's up?" - I reply "I think we need to see isolate when we get home"  then I click on the link.... now I have to explain to my wife why I am getting my covid news from "a football site"... 

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Oh you filthy Bastard.... i read it and went " oooooh nooooooo" and wife said "what's up?" - I reply "I think we need to see isolate when we get home"  then I click on the link.... now I have to explain to my wife why I am getting my covid news from "a football site"... 

Honestly, we're as informed about Covid as any Facebook news group. 

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

I mean if you want to get really technical the test doesn't mean you aren't bringing anything, just that it was negative when you got the test. Says nothing about what happens after that. 

But let's be honest, the total active cases are still such a small percentage of the population the odds of coming into contact with it are highly unlikely if you are being smart and hand washing and wearing masks. 

There is no need to be paranoid, just make good choices. Now that might all change once kids are back in school for a while but we will see. Either way you small towners will see it later than the cities anyway. Are there even any active cases in Olds? 

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I mean if you want to get really technical the test doesn't mean you aren't bringing anything, just that it was negative when you got the test. Says nothing about what happens after that. 

But let's be honest, the total active cases are still such a small percentage of the population the odds of coming into contact with it are highly unlikely if you are being smart and hand washing and wearing masks. 

There is no need to be paranoid, just make good choices. Now that might all change once kids are back in school for a while but we will see. Either way you small towners will see it later than the cities anyway. Are there even any active cases in Olds? 

No and have never had more than one or two at a time. Less than 5 total since March I think.... 

I think everyone needs to get off the rollercoaster ride of daily numbers. It's gonna be up and down for a long time. Get over it. The T.P. % is extremely low (Dr Tam said all along that keeping it under 10% nationally is the goal) and the health system isn't in danger. Stick to the basics... Distancing, hand sanitizing and masks.... And we'll ride this out together, in time. 

I don't like her. She never took the lead on directions from the feds right from the start. That was left up to every province to find a way to do it themselves. Leadership from her wasn't there from her office. Good thing some of the provinces didn't go the way of Republican states down south. First, the mixed messaging from her about masks in the spring. Now the zany message she sent late last week about being better to have sex with yourself, no kissing & better mask up during sex. Like WTF? Since the provinces have been setting the pace since March, I'll go with what the CMO of Alberta says. Not Tam. Especially after that last golden nugget of advice.

I've been masking in public now since it became mandatory in Calgary in early August. Being a schoolbus driver, I mask pretty much all day now. Use a face shield & gloves when kids embark & disembark. Disinfect my bus twice a day. after the morning & afternoon run. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27