Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

At what point do they shut down maple leaf for a bit. 67 cases there alone. And growing

With Cargill, it didn't happen till they had over 100 cases.  And that was with beef cattle, that can just be left on pasture.

There will be thousands of hogs euthanized if (when) Maple Leaf shuts down.

We used to have dozens of slaughter houses in Manitoba, with employees who were well compensated, but I guess the current model is more progressive. /sarcasm

So, I spent a crazy time of my life working at the Maple Leaf plant in Brandon in my late teens. A stint on the "loin trim line" and another doing "ham (de) -boning". One thing to mention about the people who work "on the floor" (basically anywhere that isn't office work...the manual labour folks) is that they all wear masks already. Full lab coat, a white hood thing and a mask (from what I recall...this was 1999/2000ish for me). They also wear gloves at all times. They're pretty hyper about sanitization as it is.....so in theory, it should be (relatively) easy to get/keep things under control. The issue, I think, is during lunch breaks. As I recall, everyone goes upstairs and takes their gear off and hang out in a giant mess-hall style room. So that might be where things have to change. 

Anyhow, just some recollections of how things are at Maple Leaf....or were, I suppose......

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

this is exactly why AB has had "open testing" (anyone, regardless of symptoms or not) since May. My biggest fear is not that I'll get sick and die, but that I'll unknowingly pass it to someone else. This thing spreads like wildfire if left unchecked. That's precisely why the wife and I are going to get a test done before we come home to Manitoba in September, and maybe again when we return.... just to be safe. 

So much this. My mother-in-law wasn't taking COVID seriously then I explained to her that if I unknowingly contracted it, I would probably be fine, however if I then passed it on to my 2-year old daughter, and she were to become critically ill, she would end up in the hospital.

She wouldn't understand. She would die. Alone. Alone and scared.

How anyone can justify anything less than utmost precaution is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So, I spent a crazy time of my life working at the Maple Leaf plant in Brandon in my late teens. A stint on the "loin trim line" and another doing "ham (de) -boning". One thing to mention about the people who work "on the floor" (basically anywhere that isn't office work...the manual labour folks) is that they all wear masks already. Full lab coat, a white hood thing and a mask (from what I recall...this was 1999/2000ish for me). They also wear gloves at all times. They're pretty hyper about sanitization as it is.....so in theory, it should be (relatively) easy to get/keep things under control. The issue, I think, is during lunch breaks. As I recall, everyone goes upstairs and takes their gear off and hang out in a giant mess-hall style room. So that might be where things have to change. 

Anyhow, just some recollections of how things are at Maple Leaf....or were, I suppose......

My understanding is that this was not spread at the plant but outside, during non-work hours. These are migrant workers who live in close quarters, where social distancing is simply not possible. They live together and socialize together. The families rely on one-another. 

That was case when the outbreak started but I'm not sure if it's spread beyond that to the community. 

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

So much this. My mother-in-law wasn't taking COVID seriously then I explained to her that if I unknowingly contracted it, I would probably be fine, however if I then passed it on to my 2-year old daughter, and she were to become critically ill, she would end up in the hospital.

I used to think this but more and more research is suggesting that there may be long term health effects of contracting the virus. If I'm going to die of heart attack it better be because Bombers find a way to bring back Joe Mack and not because I got Covid-19 years earlier. 

Somebody gets it..

Presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden emerged from his and Sen. Kamala Harris' coronavirus health briefing from experts Thursday afternoon advocating that a mask mandate be instituted nationwide. 

"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum. Every governor should mandate — every governor should mandate mandatory mask wearing," Biden said, adding that experts advised it could save over 40,000 lives over the same time span. 

https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-13-20-intl/h_e18c953da1c7e03b79f3e2470cf32005

10 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

She wouldn't understand. She would die. Alone. Alone and scared.

How anyone can justify anything less than utmost precaution is beyond me.

I have an uncle in ICU, and my aunt or any other family can't even visit.  I think anyone still not taking Covid seriously - should be required to explain their actions to people who have been impacted like that.  

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

They have staggered lunch breaks and social distancing is enforced.  They also have dividers setup too so close contact with others during their breaks is limited as much as possible.  Masks are worn at all other times and you get your temp taken before you can even enter the plant.  Anyone with symptoms gets sent home or isn't allowed to come to work until they get tested.  Up to this point no covid cases can be traced to someone actually catching it at Maple Leaf.  But with 2000+/- employees there was always going to be a chance there would be outbreaks outside of work.  Outbreaks from people carpooling to work, working part time jobs together at places that don't enforce distancing and mask wearing, having backyard parties over the long weekend and then testing positive a week later, flying back from Montreal and hanging out with friends instead of self isolating, etc.  Can't speak for other parts of the province but we got pretty complacent here in Westman.  Now we're paying for it.  

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Somebody gets it..

Presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden emerged from his and Sen. Kamala Harris' coronavirus health briefing from experts Thursday afternoon advocating that a mask mandate be instituted nationwide. 

"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum. Every governor should mandate — every governor should mandate mandatory mask wearing," Biden said, adding that experts advised it could save over 40,000 lives over the same time span. 

https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-13-20-intl/h_e18c953da1c7e03b79f3e2470cf32005

What is the reasoning for wearing them outside?

37 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

What is the reasoning for wearing them outside?

Whenever I see pictures of the countries who have mostly worn masks in the past, they also have worn them outside, and it reminds me that they’re the countries that seemed to have handled this crisis the best. 
Once you’ve made that decision, it’s a piece of cake..just don’t try to eat it.
My take is wear them whenever you are headed into a crowd or public place or...protesting? and the like. 
Going for a somewhat isolated stroll? Nah.
It’s leadership they’re providing, and we haven’t seen that in this present administration.

38 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

🙄

See, the biggest issue I see around that is even if you do consider her a health-care provider, it goes against the spirit of why people are being asked to self-isolate.  Just because you aren't required to self-isolate, not doing so is somewhat ignorant and selfish as far as I'm concerned.

27 minutes ago, Sard said:

See, the biggest issue I see around that is even if you do consider her a health-care provider, it goes against the spirit of why people are being asked to self-isolate.  Just because you aren't required to self-isolate, not doing so is somewhat ignorant and selfish as far as I'm concerned.

She's been working in QC since April. Surely, she could have worked from home to two more weeks. 

Way to tell you staff, I don't care about you or your families. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

Public health officials advise the current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 1.25 per cent. Forty new cases of the virus have been identified as of 9:30 a.m. today. This brings the total number of lab-confirmed positive and probable positive cases in Manitoba to 643.

The data shows there were:

• 25 new cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • five new cases in Southern Health-Sante Sud; and
  • 10 new cases in the Winnipeg region.

Preliminary investigations are ongoing but indicate that the majority of Prairie Mountain Health cases continue to be linked to previously-announced cases in Brandon with early indications of community transmission. Case investigations are ongoing and when they are completed, additional information will be provided as needed to inform of any public health risks.

The data also shows:

• nine current hospitalizations, with three individuals in intensive care;
  • 246 active cases and 389 individuals have recovered from COVID-19; and
  • the number of deaths due to COVID-19 remains at eight.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Time to close the border. 

It's an easy thing to do since they are incapable of coming up with any sort of plan. 

If your cases were travel based, that might make sense. The only travel related COVID info is the person who came back from Montreal (already part of the "lockdown" for MB) and didn't isolate properly. Your issues aren't really from outside the province...it's Manitobans, themselves, causing this.