Covid-19

JCon

On 2020-07-24 at 1:07 PM, Fred C Dobbs said:

Unless you're our ******* Alberta Premier. Kenney is sending all kids back to school. Huge class sizes of 35-40 kids per class.No social distancing or masks in class or on school buses insisting it's safe based on some old study that is now outdated. I drive a school bus. I expected at least the kids would be wearing masks but nope. I carry 55-65 kids each on 4 different runs morning & afternoon. So over & above 200 students each day. All breathing the same air. All touching the same things. Yes, we all feel so safe. He just lost me as a supporter. **** him. **** the UCP.  Utter madness to just ignore the virus in schools in an entire province of nearly 5 million people with over 10,000 cases. How long before the lawsuits start flying after people get sick??

Edited by SpeedFlex27

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Unless you're our ******* Alberta Premier. Kenney is sending all kids back to school. Huge class sizes of 35-40 kids per class.No social distancing or masks in class or on school buses insisting it's safe based on some old study that is now outdated. I drive a school bus. I expected at least the kids would be wearing masks but nope. I carry 55-65 kids each on 4 different runs morning & afternoon. So over & above 200 students each day. All breathing the same air. All touching the same things. Yes, we all feel so safe. He just lost me as a supporter. **** him. **** the UCP.  Utter madness to just ignore the virus in schools in an entire province of nearly 5 million people with over 10,000 cases. How long before the lawsuits start flying after people get sick??

I mean, I guess you can wear a mask but that is nothing short of lunacy at this point, especially with case numbers rising. I know we don't always see eye to eye on this board but man - stay safe.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

I mean, I guess you can wear a mask but that is nothing short of lunacy at this point, especially with case numbers rising. I know we don't always see eye to eye on this board but man - stay safe.

Thanks. We're In This Together has now become You're On Your Own. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you are going to be wearing a mask and the kids are not- I highly recommend you get N95 masks, as these are the only ones that will filter and protect you from the virus. I would even go as far as having a hand sanitizing station at the front of the bus so the kids can sanitize their hands before sitting down. 

I would also recommend taking the issue of the cost of the masks and sanitizer to your school division, and if nothing comes from that, talk to the school trustees. There should be no reason that you should be out of pocket for your safety. 

Anyways, I hope all works out for you and that you remain safe. 

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

If you are going to be wearing a mask and the kids are not- I highly recommend you get N95 masks, as these are the only ones that will filter and protect you from the virus. I would even go as far as having a hand sanitizing station at the front of the bus so the kids can sanitize their hands before sitting down. 

I would also recommend taking the issue of the cost of the masks and sanitizer to your school division, and if nothing comes from that, talk to the school trustees. There should be no reason that you should be out of pocket for your safety. 

Anyways, I hope all works out for you and that you remain safe. 

N95 masks are only used once, unfortunately & are expensive. They have to be form fitted. I doubt we'll get any compensation for using them. I'll certainly have hand sanitizer in my personal bag I carry on the bus everyday. I think our employer might do that on our buses. At least I hope so. Thanks for the kind words. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

N95 masks are only used once, unfortunately & are expensive. They have to be form fitted. I doubt we'll get any compensation for using them. I'll certainly have hand sanitizer in my personal bag I carry on the bus everyday. I think our employer might do that on our buses. At least I hope so. Thanks for the kind words. 

Could you inquire about getting a shield installed on the bus? I know in Winnipeg they have them (mind it is to prevent passengers from assaulting the drivers) - but wouldn't it at least help against the virus...?

Nearly half of all Alberta doctors are planning on leaving the province because the current government decided to rip up their agreement and create a new billing plan. In the midst of a pandemic. Just ******* moronic. They're trying to basically break any union that exists in the province. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My stepdaughter works at a dental clinic... you can reuse n95 masks if you put them in a paper bag overnight.  I would ask someone in the medical field for a second opinion but this is what their office is doing based on their experts.

Just now, Floyd said:

My stepdaughter works at a dental clinic... you can reuse n95 masks if you put them in a paper bag overnight.  I would ask someone in the medical field for a second opinion but this is what their office is doing based on their experts.

My wife is an RN & says they can only be used once. She also says once you touch your mask after you put it on  (which we all do) it's contaminated. 

7 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I think that applies to surgeries. I think you can reuse N95s.

That's not what she told me as I asked. Even the N95's. They're all one time only masks. As an RN since 1985 she is horrified seeing the way people treat masks. Like always fidgeting with them. Or pulled halfway down their face... so their nose is exposed.