Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

GFs mom tested positive 2 days ago. I had to go tested yesterday. Not fun. She had no symptoms.. Zero none. Waiting for my results. Should be today. Personally feeling a bit off. 

Turns out.. No corona. Thank god. 

Awesome! Happy to hear that!

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So on the issue of the Hutterite group possibly filing a human rights complaint, I don't see the government mentioning that many of the cases can be linked back to a few colonies as discriminatory but am curious what others, especially @Mark H. thinks.

Unfortunately it is due to the stupidity of the general public. There was no rational reason to attack the Asian community in Canada for causing the "Wuhan" virus, yet it happened anyways (more in the states, but there were stories here). Similarly, identifying an outbreak on a Hutterite colony stigmatizes Hutterites. Saying an outbreak occurred in Brandon doesn't have the same effect, because a Brandon resident wandering around in public isn't as readily identifiable, otherwise I am sure people would crap on them too.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So on the issue of the Hutterite group possibly filing a human rights complaint, I don't see the government mentioning that many of the cases can be linked back to a few colonies as discriminatory but am curious what others, especially @Mark H. thinks.

It is discriminatory because it leads to stigmatization.  There are 3 Hutterite colonies with Covid 19 cases in Manitoba, but some people act like there’s 100 colonies infected.  I’ll probably only experience it online, as we have no reasons for essential travel and will be staying home.  

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Hopefully things are "locked down" as much as possible with our Hutterian friends, and the daily updates will just feature "general public" cases, which should be much lower....

Tight as a drum, according to what I have been hearing.  One colony is having a funeral where only members of that colony will be able to attend. Tough call to make, but at the same time really a no brainer. 

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It is discriminatory because it leads to stigmatization.  There are 3 Hutterite colonies with Covid 19 cases in Manitoba, but some people act like there’s 100 colonies infected.  I’ll probably only experience it online, as we have no reasons for essential travel and will be staying home.  

Well, just like the asshat Mayor of Kelowna yesterday telling non residents to stay away as he doesn't want anyone bringing the virus in. The idiot doesn't realize that his citizens travel & they may have brought cases in themselves as the city has 150,000 people. And the dumbass twentysomethings just have to still party & ignoring social distancing... But blame all the out of towners for their trouble. Get the locals all worked up against anyone with an out of province license plate. People from BC are so holier than thou stuck up pieces of ****. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Twitter trending that Stephen Miller’s grandmother died of COVID, Miller’s uncle blames the Trump administration, and the White House Says the report is false (She died of natural causes, not COVID) despite the death certificate saying it was COVID. 

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/stephen-millers-grandmother-died-of-covid-19-her-son-blames-the-trump-administration/

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Tight as a drum, according to what I have been hearing. 

How many different hutterite colonies do we have in Manitoba.... I have no idea if itt's something small like 5 or large such as 100?

I will say that today at Tinkertown I saw around 75- 100  hutterites around the park so I assume that not every colony is staying at home. 

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Nice spin.

11 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The colonies are not seriously filing a human rights complaint...  this has to be fake news.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

The colonies are not seriously filing a human rights complaint...  this has to be fake news.

I'm curious about the claim there is a store that said NO HUTTERITES ALLOWED!

You would think they would name it. Do some shaming 🤔

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Tight as a drum, according to what I have been hearing.  One colony is having a funeral where only members of that colony will be able to attend. Tough call to make, but at the same time really a no brainer. 

Except you obviously were not 'tight as a drum' when the rest of the province was...  you are not 'forced' to live communally  - you do it by choice and yes you are doing it the best that you can - but you have a religious exemption that has now caused a spike and is now affecting everyone else who did obey the rules.

This is not persecuting a culture - its dealing with a relgious group's exemption that has now ****** the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I'm curious about the claim there is a store that said NO HUTTERITES ALLOWED!

You would think they would name it. Do some shaming 🤔

Again - through all of covid - rational arguments have to deal with these outlier arguments... of course no store should say 'no hutterite allowed'... but if we are keeping with covid rules then everyone in an infected hutterite colony should have to quarantine for two weeks if they leave that colony.

We do it province by province... why allow covid to spread from a known cluster.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

How many different hutterite colonies do we have in Manitoba.... I have no idea if itt's something small like 5 or large such as 100?

I will say that today at Tinkertown I saw around 75- 100  hutterites around the park so I assume that not every colony is staying at home. 

Around 120.  I was referring to colonies with cases and/or those who have had contact with them.  And those of us who had no contact, but are locking down voluntarily. 

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

Except you obviously were not 'tight as a drum' when the rest of the province was...  you are not 'forced' to live communally  - you do it by choice and yes you are doing it the best that you can - but you have a religious exemption that has now caused a spike and is now affecting everyone else who did obey the rules.

This is not persecuting a culture - its dealing with a relgious group's exemption that has now ****** the rest of us.

You are absolutely exhausting.  We followed the public health orders just like everyone else did, it was a few exceptions that messed up.  We ate at home, we did not eat or worship communally until the public orders said we could.  Our school was closed, other than Highschool, which was already a remote learning format.  I am tired of your blanket statements - this is my final response - so you may as well stop baiting me. 

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Around 120.  I was referring to colonies with cases and/or those who have had contact with them.  And those of us who had no contact, but are locking down voluntarily. 

So it makes the people look even more silly when they start picking on them when in reality the vast majority of colonies are healthy. 🤣

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

So it makes the people look even more silly when they start picking on them when in reality the vast majority of colonies are healthy. 🤣

And I have no problem being honest about that.  There are a total of 5 colonies infected, 3 of which took immediate action and kept the virus contained to 1 or 2 individuals.  Fingers crossed that everyone can recover in the two more seriously infected communities.  

The symptoms we are hearing about show just how dangerous and unpredictable this virus is.  Some had a stomach flu that lasted for about a week.  Others described a horrible flu, where for a couple of days you wondered if you would pull through.  Others got tested due to contact tracing, tested positive, but were asymptomatic. 

Good article:

Left, right, and center, Canadians wear coats when it gets cold. Left, right, and center, they wear masks during a pandemic spread by airborne droplets. It’s just not something to argue over.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/i-moved-canada-during-pandemic/614569/