Covid-19

JCon

23 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

According to the source, those officials think Fauci doesn't have the best interest of the President,

No ****! he's got the best interests of the people! You know, like all public servants are supposed to. Just because Trump is a **** head doesn't mean anything. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Phenomenal.....I love you Manitoba. Meanwhile, in the cess pool that is Alberta, we've got thousands jamming the beach at Sylvan Lake because people are "over it" re: COVID. From the mouth of the premier, it's time to get back to normal, apparently. Caseloads reaching new highs daily, with outbreaks at care homes. F***, I hate this place sometimes. 

I went to Grand Beach on the weekend and can confirm it was very busy and that minimal social distancing was being practiced on the boardwalk.  You would never think that any sort of pandemic was going on based on what I saw.     A few weeks back my co worker posted pictures of Grand Beach and it was jam packed where you couldn't find a spot on the beach to lay a towel down.  

I've gone to the mall and shopping only a few times and the older folks are either overly paranoid or else completely oblivious and disregarding any  social distancing.  The malls I went to have been really bad outside of a few stores that were pro-active in cleaning.  The people shopping don't give a **** at all.

Grocery stores have stickers with arrows and sanitizer but most people ignore them. 

The walking paths near my house are full and people are not moving over or doing anything out of the ordinary. 

The dog park that I drive by is full of people huddled together whenever I do drive by. 

Go back to the BLM protest where they had 10 000 people contained in a small area where a large amount of folks were not even wearing masks.   

I'd say we are more lucky then anything else. 

I will say that the stand alone stores,  strip malls, restaurants have all been top notch in enforcing and sanitizing. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

it's the alberta advantage!

Apparently 5 of the 10 worst weather-related disasters in Canada's recorded history have happened in the Calgary area and the recent rain/hail storm is expected to be the costliest insurance payout in Canadian history. Some advantage. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Phenomenal.....I love you Manitoba. Meanwhile, in the cess pool that is Alberta, we've got thousands jamming the beach at Sylvan Lake because people are "over it" re: COVID. From the mouth of the premier, it's time to get back to normal, apparently. Caseloads reaching new highs daily, with outbreaks at care homes. F***, I hate this place sometimes. 

I can tell you I have never disliked  Alberta and growing up used to visit family every summer and I looked forward to it all year. 

Now Albertans have been so self centred and not caring about others I have been forced to change plans to visit family and friends in BC. Smaller communities are so fed up with Albertans that they aren’t welcoming of any visitors right now. 

F U Alberta!!!

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Go back to the BLM protest where they had 10 000 people contained in a small area where a large amount of folks were not even wearing masks.   

Not sure what you were watching, but I remember being rather impressed with the amount of people wearing masks during those protest. The only place where I saw a smattering of poeple in the protest not wearing masks, was on fox news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-july-14-covid-19-1.5648575

The latest:

A top member of the White House coronavirus task force said Tuesday that "none of us lie" to the public, an accusation U.S. President Donald Trump had retweeted, and that while kids need to be back in school as Trump insists, the virus must first be under control.

Admiral Brett Giroir's comment came a day after Trump shared a Twitter post from a former game show host who, without evidence, accused government medical experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, among others, of lying.

Trump himself has at times disregarded the advice of his medical experts on the task force and continues to play down the threat from the virus as it spikes across the country, forcing some states to slow or reverse steps to reopen their economies.

The United States has become a cautionary tale across the globe, with once-falling cases now rising quickly. However, Trump suggests the severity of the pandemic that has killed more than 135,000 Americans is being overstated by critics to damage his re-election chances.

The U.S. is the worst-affected country in terms of infections, followed by Brazil and India. As of 9:15 a.m. ET on Tuesday, the global coronavirus case count stood at 13,127,030, with 573,664 deaths due to the virus, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Be sure to take all this factual, objective reporting with a grain of salt, though. CBC has a massive agenda. /s

And to add to that ^^^^

Millions go back into lockdown around the world

-Cities and states on several continents reimpose restrictions as cases surge again
-France awards health workers pay rises worth €8bn (£7.2bn; $9bn) after a series of protests
-The number of confirmed global infections since the outbreak began passes 13m
-In England, face masks will be compulsory in shops from 24 July
-The UK could see about 120,000 new coronavirus deaths in a second wave of infections this winter
-Singapore's economy plunges by 41% compared to the previous quarter
-Hong Kong Disneyland to close less than a month after reopening, as the city reimposes distancing rules

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53399539?at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=1D78C218-C5A6-11EA-8B91-DC7A4D484DA4

Some raw data to chew on, courtesy of worldometers.com:

USA cases -

Jan. 21 - first case

Apr. 10 - 500,000 (80 days)

Apr. 27 - 1,000,000 (17 days) (97 days for first 1,000,000)

May 16 - 1,500,000 (19 days)

Jun. 7 - 2,000,000 (22 days) (41 days for next 1,000,000)

Jun 25 - 2,500,000 (18 days)

Jul. 6 - 3,000,000 (11 days) (29 days for next 1,000,000)

Jul. 14 - 3,500,000 (8 days) (on pace for 16 days for next 1,000,000 based on the last 7 days average)

USA deaths -

Feb. 29 - first death

Apr. 4 - 10,000 (35 days)

Apr. 9 - 20,000 (5 days)

Apr. 14 - 30,000 (5 days)

Apr. 18 - 40,000 (4 days)

Apr. 23 - 50,000 (5 days)

Apr. 28 - 60,000 (5 days)

May 4 - 70,000 (6 days)

May 8 - 80,000 (4 days)

May 15 - 90,000 (7 days)

May 23 - 100,000 (8 days)

Jun. 2 - 110,000 (10 days)

Jun. 13 - 120,000 (11 days)

Jun. 30 - 130,000 (17 days)

Jul. 13 end of day - 138,247 (based on the last 7 day average of 750 cases per day, will hit 140,000 Jul. 16 or 16 days later; based on last 2 day average of 430 cases per day, will hit it Jul. 17)

Deaths always lag behind cases. Waiting to see if death rate will spike due to capacity in ICUs as is being reported in many states, or if treatments have improved. But some commenters who said it looked like the US just up and quit trying to protect against the virus as July hit may be on to something.

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

A major no to this! DO NOT open that border up until they get their **** together.... We have flattened the curve, I don't want anyone from THE global COVID-19 hotspot to cross freely here.

Yep, they not only bringing Covid they bringing their guns. That's said if immediate family coming for health reasons im down with it.

32 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yep, they not only bringing Covid they bringing their guns. That's said if immediate family coming for health reasons im down with it.

I have no problem with US health officials visiting Canada- God knows they can learn a lot from the Canadian handling of the pandemic. On the other hand, they probably know what needs to be done but are not being allowed to. It strikes me that the US having the worst record on the pandemic, followed by India and Brazil is even worse than it first appears. India and Brazil have rudimentary healthcare systems and yet they are in better shape than the US with their gazillion-dollar system.

BTW: Trump is still fixated on destroying the ACA without pretending he has a better plan. Ironically, his base will suffer and die the most if Trump succeeds, but that doesn't seem to have occurred to them. No doubt the current crisis would be a lot worse if the ACA was not in place.