Covid-19

JCon

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

In all honesty, it seems likely that states reopening too fast and the protests have been factors in the spike in cases in the US. Not blaming one more than the other, nor do I think either is the only factor.

States opening up way too fast....with the approval and encouragement of the Federal Government, as a purely political calculation, to aid Trump's re-election chances.  
Simply immoral and Inexcusable.

1 minute ago, do or die said:

States opening up way too fast....with the approval and encouragement of the Federal Government, as a purely political calculation, to aid Trump's re-election chances.  

One epidemiologist in the US estimated that by September there would be 1000 fatalities from Covid19 by the end of September if harsh measures are not taken soon. Trump is willing to sacrifice Americans at home and abroad if he thinks there might be an advantage to him. He is showing every sign of being a sociopath.

19 minutes ago, do or die said:

I don't disagree with this at all but do you think that the protests didn't cause any cases? I agree many states opened too fast and for political reasons.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I was gonna say, perhaps report the store. If they're having people work with symptoms, covid or not that is grossly irresponsible. 

You bet I did. I called them Monday morning & spoke to a loss prevention officer. Then in the afternoon when I got home from my Covid test I got a call from a senior manager expressing her regrets & apologizing for what happened. She said protocols in place were not followed & that action will be taken. She said they know who the clerk is. She asked if I could call her once I get the test results back & I said yes.  I said I'd let her know. If I get sick I don't know if I can sue. I'm hoping my test will be negative. Meanwhile I've been told to self quarantine until we know for certain if I have Covid. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't disagree with this at all but do you think that the protests didn't cause any cases? I agree many states opened too fast and for political reasons.

Sure, no doubt the protests caused, and will continue to cause cases.  But the protests were far more of a spontaneous thing.... 

Also think that this anti-racist "mob" also consisted of people who generally felt disenfranchised for a variety of reasons  - low standard of living conditions,  facing eviction or uncertain housing conditions, dismal employment prospects, about to lose health insurance, lost loved ones and friends, "stacked deck" in regards to justice, etc...echos of the existing inequalities in America.  You could throw in some anti-Trump sentiment as well.  
As always... there is also an apolitical criminal sector, who simply sees any civil unrest, riots etc, as just a good opportunity to burn, loot and cause all sorts of mayhem. 
George Floyd's death and the other recent Police crimes....was a trigger....pulled on a already loaded gun.

Edited by do or die

Covaxin: India to hold human trial of coronavirus vaccine in July 

Tests in animals suggest the vaccine is safe and triggers an effective immune response.
The trials are among many across the world - there are around 120 vaccine programmes under way. Half a dozen Indian firms are developing vaccines.

India is among the largest manufacturer of generic drugs and vaccines in the world.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53230607?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_custom4=B1566B1C-BA88-11EA-97C6-67EF4744363C&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_medium=custom7&at_campaign=64

According to figures posted by CNN, there are 2,620,250 active cases and  127,272 deaths reported. That is a mortality rate of 4.8%- much higher than seasonal influenza deaths and this should put an end to the "it's just another harmless flu" rebuttal to how serious this really is. But it won't.The reality is that the mortality rate is probably higher.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

According to figures posted by CNN, there are 2,620,250 active cases and  127,272 deaths reported. That is a mortality rate of 4.8%- much higher than seasonal influenza deaths and this should put an end to the "it's just another harmless flu" rebuttal to how serious this really is. But it won't.The reality is that the mortality rate is probably higher.

I'm shocked its not 10%+ because of healthcare down there.

In 11 states with mask rules in place - including New York and Illinois - the number of new cases has declined 25% in the last two weeks, according to an analysis by the Philadelphia Inquirer. On the other hand, in states where only some employees have to wear masks, new cases have risen by an average of 70

Coronavirus: What's behind new US outbreaks?
 An informed, well explained piece

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53228134?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_campaign=64&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_custom4=2C19845A-BB16-11EA-97C6-67EF4744363C&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom2=twitter

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

You’re jumping the gun - they were just saying the actual number of cases is like 20-40 million based on the lack of testing

21 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You’re jumping the gun - they were just saying the actual number of cases is like 20-40 million based on the lack of testing

Anything other than reported figures is speculation- nothing more. There were probably a lot more deaths due to the virus that have gone unidentified because the victims were found deceased as well as many others who were misidentified before the virus was made public knowledge.

The GOP’s grotesque plan to cope with COVID-19

Harking back to the embarrassing days of Gov. Rick “Oops” Perry, my state of Texas is once again saddled with a Republican gubernatorial goober. Greg Abbott is this guy’s name, and he’s another incompetent right-wing ideologue whose botched handling of our state’s COVID-19 crisis makes President Donald Trump look like a master administrator of public health.

Unfortunately for you non-Texans, Gov. Abbott’s extreme gooberness is now surging across our borders to afflict people in your state. Before we go there, though, ponder his slapstick performance here, where he’s been swatting futilely at the fast-moving coronavirus.

First, as a small-minded, small-government zealot, he obsequiously followed Trump’s lead of do-nothingism, pretending the bad thing would just drift away. As a result, droves of Texans were dying, so he rushed out to express astonishment and concern. Yet, he cravenly refused to offend his corporate and far-right backers by implementing such life-saving measures as business closures, masks required in public and stay-at-home orders. Worse, the petty, little potentate infuriated local officials by banning them from taking protective actions in their communities.

Bizarrely, Abbott declared he was focused not on preventing infections but on making sure there were enough hospital beds for those who get infected. He might as well have bragged that providing an adequate number of graves was his priority. For sure enough, thousands more Texans were soon dying because of his incompetence.

Finally, the relentless death toll forced Abbott the Absent to enact a stay-at-home mandate … but he even bungled that by declaring it was not a stay-at-home order! Instead, he called its provisions “Essential Services and Activities Protocols.”
Then he got really strange. After banning local officials from requiring mask-wearing in public, he playfully hinted that he’d hidden a trick door in that executive order allowing locals to take action — IF they could divine the riddle. The trick was that while mayors and others could not require face masks in public, they could require stores, bars offices, factories and other businesses to require masks.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/07/the-gops-grotesque-plan-to-cope-with-covid-19/

Wednesday July 1

CNN
- Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech shows "encouraging" data in early study
- New York City is reopening its beaches today, mayor says
- California continues to set Covid-19 records. 
- Officials in California and Florida — two states where coronavirus cases are jumping — are taking different approaches toward reopening amid spikes in infections.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis told the reporters that there's no going back to stricter measures, meanwhile California Gov. Gavin Newsom hinted that on Wednesday he'll tighten restrictions this Independence Day weekend, especially at beaches.
- At least 19 US states have paused reopening plans as cases rise

- Mark Cuban to Sean Hannity: "Donald Trump can't answer your questions. You and every Fox News interviewer gives him the easiest questions, and he can't answer them. Why is that, Sean?" - Jeremy Barr

On 2020-06-30 at 1:17 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

You bet I did. I called them Monday morning & spoke to a loss prevention officer. Then in the afternoon when I got home from my Covid test I got a call from a senior manager expressing her regrets & apologizing for what happened. She said protocols in place were not followed & that action will be taken. She said they know who the clerk is. She asked if I could call her once I get the test results back & I said yes.  I said I'd let her know. If I get sick I don't know if I can sue. I'm hoping my test will be negative. Meanwhile I've been told to self quarantine until we know for certain if I have Covid. 

Just got a call from Alberta Health Services. I tested negative for the Covid 19 virus. Although I can now say that I do have a cold. Which tells me how easy it still is to pick up the virus as I have not gone out much the past 3 months & I carry hand sanitizer in my car. I also wash my hands as often as I can. The virus is invisible so we don't know where & when we touch it on an exposed surface. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just got a call from Alberta Health Services. I tested negative for the Covid 19 virus. Although I can now say that I do have a cold. Which tells me how easy it still is to pick up the virus as I have not gone out much the past 3 months & I carry hand sanitizer in my car. I also wash my hands as often as I can. The virus is invisible so we don't know where & when we touch it on an exposed surface. 

The virus cannot harm you unless you transport it into your body through inhalation or by picking it up on your hands and then into your mouth, nose or the surface of you eyes. And ordinary soap and water will kill the virus- you do not need the sanitizer unless you are outside your home and handling objects that have been contaminated by others.

U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Substantially Higher Than Official Tally, Study Shows

The true number of coronavirus-related deaths in the U.S. is likely much higher than the confirmed count, according to a new Yale University study. Researchers used data from the National Center for Health Statistics, comparing the number of excess deaths in the U.S. between March 1 and May 30 to the number of COVID-19 deaths. The researchers found that the number of excess deaths exceeded the number of confirmed coronavirus deaths, suggesting that there are far more deaths related to the virus than previously thoughts. The deaths in the U.S. numbered about 122,300 more than would typically be expected, but only 95,235 of those were attributed to COVID-19.

“Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Yale epidemiologist Dan Weinberger told CNBC.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-coronavirus-deaths-substantially-higher-than-official-tally-study-shows

(There is a pandemic flashpoint when so many are infected that the spread can no longer be contained unless by the harshest of measures)