Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Pandemics always hit nursing homes hardest. Closed communities full of the most vulnerable population. Yeah just ripe for spreading diseases around and having worse outcomes. 

I thought it wasn’t just a nursing home problem

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

It's a global pandemic and you are looking at it through a very narrow lens.  California and Michigan had their **** together and look what happened. 

I don't understand how your Manitoba solution resonates with opening things up.  Opening things up means opening up tourism too.  How do you think that's going to go?

And we didn't overwhelm the nursing home system.  That's where people died.  People got sick taking care of them.  Some nursing homes refused to release clients to hospitals.  Long term care and COVID-19 are actually 2 different issues and yet you keep conflating them.

Manitoba is so fortunate to be in the situation it is and people are clambering to screw it all up.

If you are the self-proclaimed lefty you purport to be, you'd be more concerned about the wealthy living off the government through tax-evasion than you are about the working poor who have caught a break.

Well in one response you accuse me of conflating two different issues and then say I should be upset about wealth tax evasion...

Ontario and Quebec transferred elderly patients from hospitals to care homes at the beginning of the lockdown and this inflated our numbers - that is not a pizzagate 5G conspiracy it’s just a basic fact - that in turn overwhelmed several care homes who were informed not to transfer patients back to hospitals - again a fact

you obviously have a job where you are getting paid to stay home so of course you’re fine with a cautious approach that is bankrupting future generations...

6 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Normally when I see a licence plate from out of country I’m kind of excited “I wonder what brought them here???” Today I saw and Arkansas plate and wanted to berate him with “Go the F Home!!!” 

Sad time to see fear overtake us like this

in the Yukon people have yelled at others at gas stations - fkn nuts

So tonight was supposed to be the Bomber home opener and banner raising. And I was not going to be there because we had planned a trip to Italy of all places to celebrate my youngest’s graduation. Needless to say COVID threw all of that and more out the window. So i am curious what people around here have missed the most, what they have not missed that much, and what they are looking forward to the most when the world gets back to some degree of normal again. 

For me although I am disappointed that sports are not going on, it isn’t killing me like I thought it would. I will enjoy being at a stadium or arena when it starts up again, and I am also looking forward to going out to a movie theatre again. I was able to go out for dinner, and realized how much I did NOT miss it and the money spent on it, and I suspect I’ll do much less of that going forward. Maybe it will be the same with movies and sports. Very disappointed my travel plans got scrapped, but the world will always be there and I will go later. The biggest thing I have missed is in fact something my son missed out on. Closing school is tough on kids, especially those in grad year. And of all the things he did not get to do, his senior year school play was the toughest on me. Having devoted years to drama at school and always playing lesser roles, he finally got the lead in his last ever play, and school shut down 5 days before he was to hit the stage. And that is something we will never get a chance to see later on. 

How about everyone else?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So tonight was supposed to be the Bomber home opener and banner raising. And I was not going to be there because we had planned a trip to Italy of all places to celebrate my youngest’s graduation. Needless to say COVID threw all of that and more out the window. So i am curious what people around here have missed the most, what they have not missed that much, and what they are looking forward to the most when the world gets back to some degree of normal again. 

For me although I am disappointed that sports are not going on, it isn’t killing me like I thought it would. I will enjoy being at a stadium or arena when it starts up again, and I am also looking forward to going out to a movie theatre again. I was able to go out for dinner, and realized how much I did NOT miss it and the money spent on it, and I suspect I’ll do much less of that going forward. Maybe it will be the same with movies and sports. Very disappointed my travel plans got scrapped, but the world will always be there and I will go later. The biggest thing I have missed is in fact something my son missed out on. Closing school is tough on kids, especially those in grad year. And of all the things he did not get to do, his senior year school play was the toughest on me. Having devoted years to drama at school and always playing lesser roles, he finally got the lead in his last ever play, and school **** down 5 days before he was to hit the stage. And that is something we will never get a chance to see later on. 

How about everyone else?

Sorry about that with your son. Sucks but better things to come.

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Pandemics always hit nursing homes hardest. Closed communities full of the most vulnerable population. Yeah just ripe for spreading diseases around and having worse outcomes. 

Actually 1919 pandemic young people were hit the worst. 

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Actually 1919 pandemic young people were hit the worst. 

Nursing homes exist tho? Do believe some info out there isn't pure fact tho. Did lots of elderly get it and die? Yup.. But lots of younger ppl got this 2 and some have died also. Women and men 30 to 90 have all died with this one. 

12 hours ago, Floyd said:

I thought it wasn’t just a nursing home problem

It isn't. Wherever people are living in close proximity with little access to soap and water, frequent transmission vectors and poor health care, it will happen. We are seeing explosions of cases in India, central America and the prison population in the US. The harsh measures taken by China and Viet Nam have prevented the rapid transmission into southeat Asia, but that seems alsmost inevitable.

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

For me although I am disappointed that sports are not going on, it isn’t killing me like I thought it would. I will enjoy being at a stadium or arena when it starts up again, and I am also looking forward to going out to a movie theatre again. I was able to go out for dinner, and realized how much I did NOT miss it and the money spent on it, and I suspect I’ll do much less of that going forward. Maybe it will be the same with movies and sports. Very disappointed my travel plans got scrapped, but the world will always be there and I will go later. The biggest thing I have missed is in fact something my son missed out on. Closing school is tough on kids, especially those in grad year. And of all the things he did not get to do, his senior year school play was the toughest on me. Having devoted years to drama at school and always playing lesser roles, he finally got the lead in his last ever play, and school **** down 5 days before he was to hit the stage. And that is something we will never get a chance to see later on. 

How about everyone else?

Everything costs something, and the American, British and Swedish examples show clearly that it is sort of a "pay me now or pay me a lot later" scenario. We have had to scrap our travel plans for this summer and fall- probably winter, too, but it is a sacrifice we have chosen to make. 

15 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Normally when I see a licence plate from out of country I’m kind of excited “I wonder what brought them here???” Today I saw and Arkansas plate and wanted to berate him with “Go the F Home!!!”

Of the 90% of the people i know in Oklahoma they are Dems but it's big Repub state so don't go accusing unless they got MAGA sticker on car.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Of the 90% of the people i know in Oklahoma they are Dems but it's big Repub state so don't go accusing unless they got MAGA sticker on car.

I’m not sure what people you know in OK have to do with me having a reaction to someone coming from Arkansas and possibly spreading the virus. 

My reaction to their presence in WPG was 100% Covid related and not political at all. 

I would venture to guess that with the exception of any members living in the USA I have more daily interaction and have more American friends than anyone here. As a Canadian it what truly surreal to be in the USA on the day Trump was sworn in and the cheers that sounded throughout the trade show I was at as he took the oath. 

I likely have more republican friends than dems and know we employ both as well. To judge individuals based on political beliefs is likely the most unCanadian thing I have ever seen here. The idea that we have members that have never had a personal interaction with an American judging an entire nation based on media is absurd. 

My original comment was meant to demonstrate how the virus and the handling of it in different areas has caused a visceral difference in how I reacted. Something we likely all need to be mindful of as we move forward in this new normal. 

I feel like we’ve become more judgy when really we need to be more understanding. 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

I’m not sure what people you know in OK have to do with me having a reaction to someone coming from Arkansas and possibly spreading the virus. 

My reaction to their presence in WPG was 100% Covid related and not political at all. 

I would venture to guess that with the exception of any members living in the USA I have more daily interaction and have more American friends than anyone here. As a Canadian it what truly surreal to be in the USA on the day Trump was sworn in and the cheers that sounded throughout the trade show I was at as he took the oath. 

I likely have more republican friends than dems and know we employ both as well. To judge individuals based on political beliefs is likely the most unCanadian thing I have ever seen here. The idea that we have members that have never had a personal interaction with an American judging an entire nation based on media is absurd. 

My original comment was meant to demonstrate how the virus and the handling of it in different areas has caused a visceral difference in how I reacted. Something we likely all need to be mindful of as we move forward in this new normal. 

I feel like we’ve become more judgy when really we need to be more understanding. 

Just as Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Poland etc should have been more understanding about the misunderstood Hitler. What is happening in the US is unconscionable to anyone who claims to have a conscience. There is a hair's difference between many Republicans and Democrats and  polls show that some 38 million Americans are willing to take up arms to defend Trump and his actions no matter what, and if that is not insanity, I do not know what is.