Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Over the last 2 weeks, cases have risen by 84% in states that don't require wearing masks in public. In states where mask wearing is mandatory, cases have fallen by 25%. inquirer.com/health/coronav…John Duchneskie - Philadelphia Enquirer

Fake news, deep state, masks are killing people, infringement on my freedoms, Covid hoax, all lives matter, my God is under attack, arrest Obama and Bil Gates, George Soros is trying to control us, Biden’s a pedo living in his basement etc etc etc.

That’s what 36% of Americans hear in their heads blustering it out loud when they ‘read’ information like this and do their ‘critical thinking’.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

13 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Fake news, deep state, masks are killing people, infringement on my freedoms, Covid hoax, all lives matter, my God is under attack, arrest Obama and Bil Gates, George Soros is trying to control us, Biden’s a pedo living in his basement etc etc etc.

That’s what 36% of Americans hear in their heads blustering it out loud when they ‘read’ information like this and do their ‘critical thinking’.

I’m a pretty left wing antifa guy... but what happens if the death rate does not rise in states with ‘covid spikes’ - I look at Canada and our covid rules are a gong show but we are not seeing a spike in deaths or anything

Right or wrong this will be another ‘flu’ next winter

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

I’m a pretty left wing antifa guy... but what happens if the death rate does not rise in states with ‘covid spikes’ - I look at Canada and our covid rules are a gong show but we are not seeing a spike in deaths or anything

Right or wrong this will be another ‘flu’ next winter

The answer hasn't changed since this started.  If health care systems are overwhelmed, we are in trouble.  People don't need to die from COVID-19 (even though they are) for this to be a significant health threat regardless of your (or my) politics.

• Daily confirmed coranvirus cases hit an all-time high of 40,000 in the United States.
  • 1.4 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, though the numbers are declining.
  • Canadian charities are asking for more government aid due to economic crisis and 'massive disruption.'
  • British Health Secretary warns the government may close beaches following mass gatherings.
  • India nears half a million confirmed cases after its biggest 24-hour increase on Friday
  • Trump administration seeks to invalidate the Affordable Care Act.
  • Texas shuts down bars again after a resurgence of cases.
  • Canada is nearly self-sufficient in PPE production, says Trudeau.

14 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Texas Governor in full retreat, Florida 9k in cases yesterday, Arizona's worst is yet to come and it's pretty bad right now, good thing they are going to have a update today so Trump can tell everyone what a great job he has done

Actually...

Briefing will not be at the WH.
Trump will not be there.....Pence running the show.  But he is certainly capable of blowing smoke, as well.

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

The answer hasn't changed since this started.  If health care systems are overwhelmed, we are in trouble.  People don't need to die from COVID-19 (even though they are) for this to be a significant health threat regardless of your (or my) politics.

Yes I understand the need to 'flatten the curve'...  we did it - but instead we overwhelmed the nursing home system accidentally at least in Ontario and Quebec

I'm not sure how long you think we need to take to prepare the health care system... if we haven't got our **** together by now then we never will.  Maybe some people have the luxury of living off the govt and always ready to have a free vacation if we shut down... but most I know don't.

56 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Yes I understand the need to 'flatten the curve'...  we did it - but instead we overwhelmed the nursing home system accidentally at least in Ontario and Quebec

I'm not sure how long you think we need to take to prepare the health care system... if we haven't got our **** together by now then we never will.  Maybe some people have the luxury of living off the govt and always ready to have a free vacation if we shut down... but most I know don't.

It's a global pandemic and you are looking at it through a very narrow lens.  California and Michigan had their **** together and look what happened. 

I don't understand how your Manitoba solution resonates with opening things up.  Opening things up means opening up tourism too.  How do you think that's going to go?

And we didn't overwhelm the nursing home system.  That's where people died.  People got sick taking care of them.  Some nursing homes refused to release clients to hospitals.  Long term care and COVID-19 are actually 2 different issues and yet you keep conflating them.

Manitoba is so fortunate to be in the situation it is and people are clambering to screw it all up.

If you are the self-proclaimed lefty you purport to be, you'd be more concerned about the wealthy living off the government through tax-evasion than you are about the working poor who have caught a break.

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

There does need to be a serious examination of the nursing home system in Canada. 81% of Covid deaths were from nursing home residents versus the OECD average of 42%.

Pandemics always hit nursing homes hardest. Closed communities full of the most vulnerable population. Yeah just ripe for spreading diseases around and having worse outcomes.