Covid-19

JCon

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That is a bit dismissive. Religion is important to a lot of people and that community they get in church is a big part of their life...

Now that being said churches are about the worst place to loosen restrictions. Old people, lots of close contact... yeah everyone has to make sacrifices to keep things under control and that means finding alternate ways to express their faith. 

I'm being pedantic about the use of the word "essential".  Important is not the same as essential.

I am in full support of the sense of community people gain from religious-based gatherings, but I don't condone the attack on science and medicine that these religious leaders are making.

Edited by Wideleft

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That is a bit dismissive. Religion is important to a lot of people and that community they get in church is a big part of their life...

It really isn't, though. Religion is not an essential service. I get the importance of religion to many people but deeming religious services or attendance of a place of faith as essential is simply ridiculous. And presenting the premier with some petition to allow for such services that basically fly in the face of restrictions in place is just a demonstration of ignorance of those who either don't understand science or refuse to acknowledge its importance during this time, not to mention completely baseless entitlement. 

These men of god ought to find an alternative way to do their work, instead of wasting a politician's time with frivolity like a petition.

35 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It really isn't, though. Religion is not an essential service. I get the importance of religion to many people but deeming religious services or attendance of a place of faith as essential is simply ridiculous. And presenting the premier with some petition to allow for such services that basically fly in the face of restrictions in place is just a demonstration of ignorance of those who either don't understand science or refuse to acknowledge its importance during this time, not to mention completely baseless entitlement. 

These men of god ought to find an alternative way to do their work, instead of wasting a politician's time with frivolity like a petition.

Hey a lot of what was essential wasn't really essential to start with either... 

Remember, the Bible Never Mentions a Building Called ‘Church’

The Church was never meant to be a place.

Recently, I wrote this piece, encouraging people who love God but who for any number of reasons find themselves outside of a traditional church.

A number of Fundamentalist Christians objected. So I thought I’d take a few moments to share why the Church as a building was never the point to Jesus and the early Church:

Jesus teaches Kingdom, not building. The Gospel biographies are filled with evocative, vivid parables, all about the Kingdom of God. They were Jesus’ central teaching. But this kingdom He speaks about is not a where but a when.

It is the state of the world when people acknowledge God; when God is honored and worshipped and respected—the Kingdom is present.

Throughout the Gospels, you can find Jesus teaching on the characteristics of His Kingdom people as they reflect the character of God in the world. The Church was never about brick and mortar. It was always greater than that. It was about a way of being in the world.

https://relevantmagazine.com/god/remember-bible-never-mentions-building-called-church/

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Well said. 

Churches are not exempt from such safety precautions. Gatherings at Masses are practically the worst for physical distancing when they’re held indoors. 
To propose re-opening, raise suspicions as to motivations. If the powers that be, in these Churches, can promise that nothing will happen, then so be it. But they can’t. It’s already been proven down South. 
Why on earth won’t you even consider it? 
I cannot believe that, whatever God they believe in, would sanction such a move.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Most churches have found alternative methods (web streams, preaching in the parking lot with social distancing) ....  I'm guessing the  big issue is directly related to the donations going down.....

But what would happen if the world and societies didn't go to Hell (literally and figuratively) if it became obvious that we could get by without religion? The Rex Humbugs and Jerry Feelwells would have to go out and get real jobs.

‘Heartbreaking’: Global experts alarmed at signs US has ‘given up’ fight to stop COVID-19

Global public health experts are looking on in “alarm and disbelief” as the U.S. economy reopens even as Covid-19 case numbers continue to rise in a number of states, with President Donald Trump signaling he has no intention of calling for more economic shutdowns regardless of the outcome.

As The Washington Post reported Friday, newspapers across Europe have recently published articles and editorials expressing shock at the Trump administration’s approach to the pandemic.

“U.S. Increasingly Accepts Rising Covid-19 Numbers,” read a headline this week in the Swiss paper Neue Zürcher Zeitung.

“I’m becoming convinced that Covid is not far from taking on the characteristics of gun violence. The U.S. will endure much higher, persistent negative effects from something that other countries have solved; we’ll normalize it and convince ourselves nothing can be done.”
—Michael Rozier, St. Louis University

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm amazed that Florida Governor DeSantis is allowed to do what he does unfettered. That there's no political opposition or backlash.

The House and Senate are both controlled by the GOP so little opposition. And Florida is... well, it's Florida. The stupidest crap is done in Florida and no one is ever surprised. There was a thing going on Twitter last year where you were to google "Florida man" and your birthday to see what stupidity happened. One of the stories I got for my birthday was a Florida man being charged with manslaughter after he accidentally shot a woman while having sex. They were using guns as part of foreplay.

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

The House and Senate are both controlled by the GOP so little opposition. And Florida is... well, it's Florida. The stupidest crap is done in Florida and no one is ever surprised. There was a thing going on Twitter last year where you were to google "Florida man" and your birthday to see what stupidity happened. One of the stories I got for my birthday was a Florida man being charged with manslaughter after he accidentally shot a woman while having sex. They were using guns as part of foreplay.

Republicans used to be the party of business & common sense. Now, they make no sense at all. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Republicans used to be the party of business & common sense. Now, they make no sense at all. 

Donald Trump Lol GIF by NowThis - Find & Share on GIPHY

When was that? The Garbage Oldboys Party has been devoid of anything but corruption, coddling the 1%, and trampling on people's rights for decades unless they're privileged, rich, straight, white Christians hell bent on defending mUh LiBeRtIeS.

48 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Donald Trump Lol GIF by NowThis - Find & Share on GIPHY

When was that? The Garbage Oldboys Party has been devoid of anything but corruption, coddling the 1%, and trampling on people's rights for decades unless they're privileged, rich, straight, white Christians hell bent on defending mUh LiBeRtIeS.

yeah I was gonna say, is he referencing the 50s? Cause Republicans have been a criminal organization for the over 50 years. 

Today, Trump was asked to clarify how he said in his rally diatribe that he had ordered a reduction in COVID testing, but his department of health had said they had not been so instructed. Trump refused to answer whether or not he had ordered a reduction in testing.