Covid-19

JCon

45 minutes ago, Floyd said:

That’s my entire concern with lockdown - I supported lockdown at the start... but we are watching it morph into government over reach - trump and kenney tearing apart env regs for example... yes kenney would have tried to do it but I doubt he would have got away with it without using the guise of covid

Are you kidding? Kenney has been acting with impunity the entire time. He truly believes that he has the unquestionable support of 70% of the population here.

55 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Are you kidding? Kenney has been acting with impunity the entire time. He truly believes that he has the unquestionable support of 70% of the population here.

If you’re trying to argue that I don’t think Jason kenney is a fascist ******* then you’re barking up the wrong tree...

Here’s a better way to put it - kenney got a gimme on his environmental monitoring rollback because of covid no one really went after him or howled about it

same as Doug Ford now - covid has highlighted major major problems with privatized seniors care - a big chunk of which Ford pushes ahead last year - but no one seems to be mentioning that because we’re focusing on this ethereal threat of covid rather than the actual clusters and issues within our system

read any of my posts at the start of covid - I’m not against a firm concise lockdown - but I am bewildered by large parts of our phase two responses and the second wave bogeyman

Coronavirus infections in younger people are skyrocketing —While those under 40 still have a lower mortality rate, they're suddenly contracting coronavirus in greater numbers

In the initial days of the pandemic, some skeptics wrote off the coronavirus as something that mostly affected seniors. The higher death rates for the elderly, coupled with numerous stories of tragic outbreaks in nursing homes both here and abroad, contributed to that public perception. 

Yet a new series of reports reveals that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the young should not assume that they are safe from coronavirus infection. Indeed, in the past two months, the rate at which people under 40 are testing positive for coronavirus has shot up in many locales. While younger people remain at much lower risk for dying of coronavirus, they can still transmit the virus to others of any age group.

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/09/coronavirus-infections-in-younger-people-are-skyrocketing--heres-why/

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/who-covid-19-asymptomatic-spread-1.5604353

even WHO experts get shouted down if they don’t tow the ‘fear’ line...

theres no second wave coming - all these protests won’t even be a blip in the data 

Obviously the whole world hopes that’s right. However, there is a lot people who are on edge and want to do everything they can to be cautious and help prevent things we can prevent to protect our own and the vulnerable and get back to our lives like I’m sure you are. No matter ones  viewpoint and how one interprets all the information overload out there on the inter webz around getting back to some normalcy,  critical thinking doesn’t have to be articulated in a condescending way and we all do it here, including me but my critical thinking tells me it really isn’t helpful, especially with making history with the shiteshow called Trump deranged idiot and Covid19.

On 2020-06-04 at 7:56 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Im hoping as well as it impacts my pro wrestling business.  Small potatoes compared to others with greater concerns but still a thing for me.

So I hear you're good to start running shows again.  CWE got the green light today and will be live again as of this Friday.

I understand Danny put forth a very compelling argument and he was able to convince government officials to give them the go ahead.  I'm sure Goldstein's experience dealing with the government was a tremendous help in getting this done.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Obviously the whole world hopes that’s right. However, there is a lot people who are on edge and want to do everything they can to be cautious and help prevent things we can prevent to protect our own and the vulnerable and get back to our lives like I’m sure you are. No matter ones  viewpoint and how one interprets all the information overload out there on the inter webz around getting back to some normalcy,  critical thinking doesn’t have to be articulated in a condescending way and we all do it here, including me but my critical thinking tells me it really isn’t helpful, especially with making history with the shiteshow called Trump deranged idiot and Covid19.

I've thought for a long time about your compassion comment... and here is my answer

Lockdown is a western world privilege - so I can't meaningfully express condolences for the elderly who died here when third world lifespan is 15-20 years shorter - or when Africa is facing 300k+ more deaths from malaria - directly because we hogged all the PPE and meds in the world.... etc etc

We can sit in lockdown because the govt is paying us - India, Phillipines, Malaysia... all those people were just thrown out of cities just so they are not statistics...

My parents and some of my best friends are a high risk covid... however my cousin died of of cancer without a real funeral, another cousin is young but has dementia and can't have visitors and other relatives/friends are having treatments/diagnoses delayed and cancelled...  I see drug deaths, people dying alone, businesses dying as slow death. national debt wracking up at a record pace etc etc... 

Singling out covid deaths for compassion seems meaningless...  how did covid deaths become so much more important than any other deaths?  I would like to know that.

I would love to post information and have it dealt with the way you and Mark H respond... but that's not the world we live in (and this forum is a magnified little bubble of that)... there are posters that pick and choose small parts of an overall argument and run with it... they start labelling and distort rational debate - this is the world Trump's divisions have left us with...

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Coronavirus infections in younger people are skyrocketing —While those under 40 still have a lower mortality rate, they're suddenly contracting coronavirus in greater numbers

In the initial days of the pandemic, some skeptics wrote off the coronavirus as something that mostly affected seniors. The higher death rates for the elderly, coupled with numerous stories of tragic outbreaks in nursing homes both here and abroad, contributed to that public perception. 

Yet a new series of reports reveals that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the young should not assume that they are safe from coronavirus infection. Indeed, in the past two months, the rate at which people under 40 are testing positive for coronavirus has shot up in many locales. While younger people remain at much lower risk for dying of coronavirus, they can still transmit the virus to others of any age group.

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/09/coronavirus-infections-in-younger-people-are-skyrocketing--heres-why/

We WANT this to happen to gain the herd immunity that we are told is non-existent... yet herd immunity occurred with every other SARS-type virus we have encountered in the last 30 years

There was always going to be an increase in cases when we go back to normal... its the critical cases that we have to watch for and identify the cluster/contact tracing

Twenty-one US states report weekly rise in new cases

Cases are spiking in parts of California and the southwest of the US, with 21 states reporting weekly increases in new cases.

It could lead authorities to reimpose or tighten public health restrictions, with Arizona having already reactivated its emergency plan for medical facilities while California has placed counties where half of its 39 million residents live on a watch list.

"Many of the cases that are showing up in hospitals are linked to gatherings that are taking place in homes - birthday parties and funerals," said Olivia Kasirye, public health director of Sacramento County, one of the nine counties on California's watch list.

Arizona, Utah and New Mexico all posted rises of 40% or higher for the week ending on Sunday, compared with the prior seven days.

-bbc.com/news

Emergency COVID-19 measures prevented more than 500 million infections, study finds

A person in protective clothing walks through an empty 2,000-bed medical facility for COVID-19 patients in Iran.
Emergency public health measures designed to slow the COVID-19 pandemic in Iran and five other countries have prevented hundreds of millions of infections — and helped to avert a global catastrophe, says new research by a team from the Global Policy Lab at UC Berkeley. (AP photo by Ebrahim Noroozi)

Emergency health measures implemented in six major countries have “significantly and substantially slowed” the spread of the novel coronavirus, according to research from a UC Berkeley team published today in the journal Nature. The findings come as leaders worldwide struggle to balance the enormous and highly visible economic costs of emergency health measures against their public health benefits, which are difficult to see.

In the first peer-reviewed analysis of local, regional and national policies, the researchers found that travel restrictions, business and school closures, shelter-in-place orders and other non-pharmaceutical interventions averted roughly 530 million COVID-19 infections across the six countries in the study period ending April 6. Of these infections, 62 million would likely have been “confirmed cases,” given limited testing in each country.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/06/08/emergency-covid-19-measures-prevented-more-than-500-million-infections-study-finds/

Elon Musk reopened his Tesla factory in defiance of county orders. Then an outbreak happened

Last months, Tesla CEO Elon Musk openly defied stay-at-home orders in Alameda County in order to reopen his car factory in Fremont, California. The oppositional billionaire, who had been skeptical of public health recommendations — and who previously dismissed the pandemic as “dumb” —first filed a lawsuit for injunctive relief; then threatened to take his factory to another state; then called Alameda County’s interim health officer “ignorant.” Musk even said he was willing to be arrested for the noble “cause” of restarting production.

And what did that get him? According to a new report by the Washington Post, a coronavirus outbreak in the factory.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/06/elon-musk-reopened-his-tesla-factory-in-defiance-of-county-orders-then-an-outbreak-happened/

Pandemic.  You ignore social distancing, and then open things up, in some areas, before the curve flattens.......and you get fresh outbreaks.    Mystified why this is so hard for some folks to grasp. 

For instance, the Southern US is about pay a heavy price, for their ignorance.

7 minutes ago, do or die said:

Pandemic.  You ignore social distancing, and then open things up, in some areas, before the curve flattens.......and you get fresh outbreaks.    Mystified why this is so hard for some folks to grasp. 

For instance, the Southern US is about pay a heavy price, for their ignorance.

They already have in electing Trump who wants to take away what little Medicare they have under ACA, but yes, this is poised to devastate the South. 

In Florida, home to millions of retirees, 1 of every 4 covid-19 deaths has been associated with a long-term care facility. Nationwide, the virus has killed at least 26,000 nursing home residents, according to numbers released June 1. Most deaths worldwide have occurred among people older than 50 and those with underlying health problems, as they are often most vulnerable to respiratory disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=sn_coronavirus_2

Is it a long term care facility problem in Florida if 75% of the people dying from COVID-19 don't live in one?  Incidentally, these numbers match pretty well with the U.S. national figures.

Edited by Wideleft

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

In Florida, home to millions of retirees, 1 of every 4 covid-19 deaths has been associated with a long-term care facility. Nationwide, the virus has killed at least 26,000 nursing home residents, according to numbers released June 1. Most deaths worldwide have occurred among people older than 50 and those with underlying health problems, as they are often most vulnerable to respiratory disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=sn_coronavirus_2

Is it a long term care facility problem in Florida if 75% of the people dying from COVID-19 don't live in one?  Incidentally, these numbers match pretty well with the U.S. national figures.

But Florida is basically a long-term care facility in itself </sarcasm>

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I understand that Covid 19 is wreaking havoc in some Indigenous communities, for example.  

Do you have a source for this? In Manitoba it has been confirmed that not a single case has been in a first nations community.

35 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Do you have a source for this? In Manitoba it has been confirmed that not a single case has been in a first nations community.

I'd love to see that info as well because the official numbers tell a much different story:

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 On First Nations reserves in provinces, as of June 9, ISC is aware of:

• 237 confirmed positive COVID-19
  • 22 hospitalizations
  • 206 recovered cases
  • 6 deaths

Case numbers per region:

• British Columbia: 43
  • Alberta: 53
  • Saskatchewan: 54
  • Ontario: 52
  • Quebec: 35

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1581964230816/1581964277298

I would caution against everyone panicking about Florida, Arkansas and Texas numbers...  as I stated from day one - we are lucky to have a structured response in Canada as opposed to the chaos in the US

Comparing Canadian numbers (universal healthcare) with the US would be a terrible way to make policy here

Minnesota numbers indicate a massive percentage of cases in nursing homes while Florida says 1 in 4... yet we were just talking about how Florida is drastically under-reporting cases

The US is relying solely on private nursing homes to inform relatives and government of covid cases - if you want to think we're getting firm numbers out of the US, then go right ahead.

All of my opinions and arguments are primarily based on Canadian data for Canadian solutions.

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I'd love to see that info as well because the official numbers tell a much different story:

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 On First Nations reserves in provinces, as of June 9, ISC is aware of:

• 237 confirmed positive COVID-19
  • 22 hospitalizations
  • 206 recovered cases
  • 6 deaths

Case numbers per region:

• British Columbia: 43
  • Alberta: 53
  • Saskatchewan: 54
  • Ontario: 52
  • Quebec: 35

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1581964230816/1581964277298

There are no cases of community spread covid in the Yukon first nations communities or anywhere in the territories.

BC has no current cases in northern FN

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/covid-19-outbreaks-in-23-first-nations-prompt-worries-1.4920181

Looks like 130 covid cases in First Nations communities a month ago... seems like most have recovered - many related to the meat packing plant in AB

Edited by Floyd

re: First Nations cases..... not sure if Iso meant the Siksika First Nation east of Calgary, which did have a minor outbreak, but they had a COVID Management Team in the community from Day 1 with their own testing site and everything, and it was snuffed out relatively quickly....or is my understanding from the daily Dr Hinshaw pressers....

Edited by Noeller