Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Demonstrating empathy isn't usually excessive and people feeling bad when other people die can't be assumed unfortunately. 

I didn't really read anyone specifically joking about someone dying for a haircut but I might have missed it.

Maybe citing stats doesn't seem cold to you but if you don't preface it with some sort context it can come across as cold to others. But that may not be an issue for you in how others see that. 

You missed all the 'well that's natural selection' comments when the Trumpers were protesting their right to freedom of movement (what I call the haircut protests) and not social distancing...  no one stopped and said 'wow I really hope they are okay they are just protesting for what they believe in'...  we laughed about them possibly dying because they don't believe in the same things we do

I'm interested in your angle - it just seems strange that you would want me to start all posts with 'my condolences'...  Empathy is usually saved for real life not a football forum - especially not this one 

But I will be clear - I think online empathy and causes are bogus and typing/sharing 'thoughts and prayers' is pretty lame

I think trying to educate people that covid really is primarily a nursing home issue does more to help people than just saying home and typing 'my condolences'...  I mean Ottawa just approved the sale of a Canadian nursing home chain to a sh*tty Chineses corporation - obviously the message is not sinking in

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

OK but where is the source for your comment about it not spreading like we thought? 

Cause everything spreads much less easily outdoors....

That's why we closed parks, trails and campgrounds at the start of lockdown?

Clear data showing children's resilience, the low outdoor risk, the low risk of severe cases in people under 60...  this is all different from what we thought at the start - there are multiple sources - any mainstream media in Canada or any provincial covid page - feel free.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I guess if we need another answer as to why the protests were allowed - they were OUTSIDE.  OUTDOORS. NOT INDOORS. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Let's not forget that it wasn't in a nursing home!

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

And I’m 83% sure of that.

HaHA... YES...!!!  I love it when my original arguments are slowly co-opted... its the small victories that count

This thread is so much like the old 'In Mack We Trust' days ha

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No new probable cases of COVID-19 (coronavirus) were reported in Manitoba on Saturday or Sunday, leaving the provincial total at...

maxresdefault.jpg

Quantifying the efficacy of preventative measures is and will be challenging. (physical distancing, better and consistent social hygiene practices, wearing masks, self isolation when feeling sick, testing for hot spots and testing people who don’t have symptoms, industry changes to their work environments etc etc).

However I would assume these measures are having varying and significant levels of success but because we can’t measure this effectiveness it does not give us the big picture of what they have prevented for all different types of human beings.

Manitobans are the least likely to say their provincial government has done a good job handling COVID-19, according to a new Angus Reid poll.

Just 70 per cent of Manitobans approve of how their province is responding to the pandemic, compared with an 80 per cent average elsewhere in the country.

Alberta, which ranked second last, had 75 per cent approval. |

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/manitoba-government-has-canadas-worst-approval-rating-on-pandemic-response-illicit-drug-issues-poll-571104312.html

Guess good thing the election was last year ;) Still this is puzzling.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

HaHA... YES...!!!  I love it when my original arguments are slowly co-opted... its the small victories that count

This thread is so much like the old 'In Mack We Trust' days ha

Ok man, good comeback.  For the record, I was done with Mack after his first year. 

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

👁‍🗨 Think about this one..

I can absolutely believe this, and I'll tell you why.

As most of you know by now, I'm a Hutterite.  We are sort of the perfect test case for the spreading of germs.  We eat communally three times daily (buffet style), we sit just a few feet apart in church, and when it comes to the children, there literally is no separation at any time.  

Now, when schools closed on March 23, we all started eating at home, one person from each family went to get food, and this was coordinated so that we had low numbers of people in the kitchen at any given time.  School was online / home school and church was over the public address system.  People from other communities could not visit us, and vice versa. 

During March and April, which tend to still be prime cold and flu season due to weather and temperature variations - can you guess what happened?  I'm sure you can - colds and flus were (and still are) drastically reduced, almost non - existent. 

We probably won't be able to maintain these practices indefinitely, but some of them will certainly stay in place. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I can absolutely believe this, and I'll tell you why.

As most of you know by now, I'm a Hutterite.  We are sort of the perfect test case for the spreading of germs.  We eat communally three times daily (buffet style), we sit just a few feet apart in church, and when it comes to the children, there literally is no separation at any time.  

Now, when schools closed on March 23, we all started eating at home, one person from each family went to get food, and this was coordinated so that we had low numbers of people in the kitchen any given time.  School was online / home school and church was over the public address system.  People from other communities could not visit us, and vice versa. 

During March and April, which tend to still be prime cold and flu season due to weather and temperature variations - can you guess what happened?  I'm sure you can - colds and flus were (and still are) drastically reduced, almost non - existent. 

We probably won't be able to maintain these practices indefinitely, but some of them will certainly stay in place. 

I tried to make this point to my boss about Work From Home.  It doesnt have to be a thing we do every 100 years.  I believe sick time has been drastically reduced for the reasons of less cold/flus and also parents being home if they have a sick child and honestly, those days you feel like you just cant go in...well, working from home makes it easier.  

Speaking of Hutterites Im not sure I should be surprised but when I got to the rally it was cool seeing a group of Hutterites there with signs protesting for the cause.  It immediately became clear the cross section of people of various ethnicities and cultures that were there.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

That's why we closed parks, trails and campgrounds at the start of lockdown?

Clear data showing children's resilience, the low outdoor risk, the low risk of severe cases in people under 60...  this is all different from what we thought at the start - there are multiple sources - any mainstream media in Canada or any provincial covid page - feel free.

Except when they closed parks and trails and campgrounds the explanation was very clearly that the concern was congratating in close proximity in parking lots and shared use spaces such as washrooms...

And before anything happened it was known that old and sick were more likely to die too... and that children weren't as significantly impacted... so where is this change? Or did you just not pay attention early and think it changed?

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Speaking of Hutterites Im not sure I should be surprised but when I got to the rally it was cool seeing a group of Hutterites there with signs protesting for the cause.  It immediately became clear the cross section of people of various ethnicities and cultures that were there.

I was not even aware of that, but I am not surprised at all.  We get 'some' of the same treatment.  Eg. I have never stolen anything in my life, but I have been followed in some stores. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

You missed all the 'well that's natural selection' comments when the Trumpers were protesting their right to freedom of movement (what I call the haircut protests) and not social distancing...  no one stopped and said 'wow I really hope they are okay they are just protesting for what they believe in'...  we laughed about them possibly dying because they don't believe in the same things we do

I'm interested in your angle - it just seems strange that you would want me to start all posts with 'my condolences'...  Empathy is usually saved for real life not a football forum - especially not this one 

But I will be clear - I think online empathy and causes are bogus and typing/sharing 'thoughts and prayers' is pretty lame

I think trying to educate people that covid really is primarily a nursing home issue does more to help people than just saying home and typing 'my condolences'...  I mean Ottawa just approved the sale of a Canadian nursing home chain to a sh*tty Chineses corporation - obviously the message is not sinking in

I guess I did. I'm wondering if you may be projecting a bit on what these people were thinking when they made these jokes. Just a thought. 

No I'm not asking you to do anything with your posts. I'm just wondering where you sit with empathy and providing context to help interpret what you are conveying on this board. And with that, this is a forum that covers football, hockey and general issues in which empathy can be used for these topics whether it's online or in person.  All of this here is real life as I sit here and type to you on a key board or I talk with you in person. All these topics on this board are just different parts of our life, they are not make believe. Some people are more upfront with others in who they really are online versus who they are in person so generalizations can be misleading.

This is where you confuse me. On the one hand you made the assumption in a previous post that people care when other people die but then think online empathy is bogus. Those two statements of yours don't correlate with me. Yes indeed somethings empathy can be disingenious both in person and online but not always depending on who you are and how you're wired as a human being.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

34 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ok man, good comeback.  For the record, I was done with Mack after his first year. 

Oh I'm not talking specifics... just relating to the fact that last week I was lit up for suggesting the risk of covid was 'infinitesimal' outdoors... and now its a generally accepted reason for breaking our mass gatherings order

Its more in relation to the old Mack arguments of 'well he's a football executive and you're not so you can't have an opinion' - many parallels

One thing is clear though... with masks and without social distancing, mass outdoor gatherings are fine and there seems to be no fallout

Without masks and without social distancing, there appears to be a moderate rise in cases - whether this is followed by deaths remains to be seen

17 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I guess I did. I'm wondering if you may be projecting a bit on what these people were thinking when they made these jokes. Just a thought. 

No I'm not asking you to do anything with your posts. I'm just wondering where you sit with empathy and providing context to help interpret what you are conveying on this board. And with that, this is a forum that covers football, hockey and general issues in which empathy can be used for these topics whether it's online or in person.  All of this here is real life as I sit here and type to you on a key board or I talk with you in person. All these topics on this board are just different parts of our life, they are not make believe. Some people are more upfront with others in who they really are online versus who they are in person so generalizations can be misleading.

This is where you confuse me. On the one hand you made the assumption in a previous post that people care when other people die but then think online empathy is bogus. Those two statements of yours don't correlate with me. Yes indeed somethings empathy can be disingenious both in person and online but not always depending on who you are and how you're wired as a human being.

Interesting point about the projecting... I will consider that.

In a debate on these threads, I don't see much reason to explain empathy - and in fact, I only see this requested when we're talking about covid (or Sam Hurl's retirement...)

Early in the covid outbreak, I expressed deep concern that our lockdown response and the market crash will double the amount of malaria deaths in the world, result in mass starvation in the poorest countries and increase deaths in Africa and other regions because the rich countries stockpiled all the PPE and massive funds were diverted to covid.

Do I expect everyone to start every post expressing this same concern for third world countries and apologizing for our lockdown?  No.  Its just very strange to watch how we (this board) took this 'every life is sacred' approach to covid but really not to any other issue... ever.  Its just groupthink to me, to be honest.

As for how I'm wired...  I've been in the north 20 years and I believe that living in cities really insulates people from having to deal with death and with the real world... I've worked with polar bears for 20 years and saw how our climate models were fatally flawed yet we still follow them... yet for all of my tours I contribute a percentage of the price to Plan International Canada as our carbon offsets - because third world countries will be hit the hardest by climate change and female reproductive rights are our best chance at 'reducing' the world population.

I am wired to be a critical thinker and not to accept anything without checking multiple sources... i.e. I have huge empathy for George Floyd and his family... zero empathy for the drunk-ass Inuk who barely got tapped by the RCMP truck door in Cape Dorset while they were between a firearms report and a domestic violence call...

I guess my question is why on earth would I care 'how' my posts are read on this board and why would I expect someone to read more into them than the basic information presented.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Other than all those US areas that opened up and have spikes in cases that are actually larger than the spikes before the lockdown.  

I'll check on this claim later...

To be honest, my arguments don't really involve the US - we live in Canada and that's all that really matters to me...

Re-opening a society with universal healthcare is vastly different than the state by state gong show in the US.

However, the US is a perfect example of the over-reach that I am concerned with... unless you can explain how gutting all environmental regulations and oversight under the guise of covid is not harmful.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

unless you can explain how gutting all environmental regulations and oversight under the guise of covid is not harmful.

Because that's just lies being told to try and make it seem better. That administration has had a goal of slashing regulations since day 1 and I believe that the numbers show they are the least environmentally administration ever.