Covid-19

JCon

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/40-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-alberta-no-new-deaths-1.4972742

112 out of 146 deaths in Alberta are in nursing homes... yet they account for about 10-15% of the cases

Just sayin’...

Maybe don’t assume people know you care about other people’s well being and preface your statement with ‘my condolences to anyone who has lost a loved one due to Covid 19 but (insert your above statement). As you said to me, you don’t like when people project what you maybe thinking. Is that fair and reasonable? 

Edited by HardCoreBlue

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Maybe don’t assume people know you care about other people’s well being and preface your statement with ‘my condolences to anyone who has lost a loved one due to Covid 19 but (insert your above statement). As you said to me, you don’t like when people project what you maybe thinking. Is that fair and reasonable? 

seems a bit excessive to be honest - I would think it’s generally accepted that people feel bad when people die

this forum is pretty harsh at the best of times...  when we joker about all the Haircut protestors who were going to die because they weren’t social distancing - no one took offence

citing stats doesn’t seem cold - it just supports my argument that we need to care for seniors in a better way

This is also a good article about Florida...  its a 'what not to do' state

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/20/opinions/florida-confusing-covid-19-sepkowitz/index.html

And again - 83% of deaths are 65 and older... the majority in nursing homes

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/17/in-florida-83-percent-of-coronavirus-deaths-are-people-65-and-older/

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I agree that protesting racism and protesting wanting to go back to the old normal are very different. I agree that advocating for change to bring about more tolerance and acceptance to society are important. However do you not see how people may get frustrated when they were told and continue to be told to stay home, social distance, don't see friends, you can't visit sick relatives or friends, you can't attend a worship service, you can't go to the gym, you may have lost your job but its ok for people to gather in large numbers for these rallies? I support the rallies, I am trying to educate myself but I still feel its a little like two sets of rules. If its ok to open things up for rallies, why not other things? Or is it a case of the risk is acceptable in this case because its for a needed change to society?

It is 2 sets of rules. For all to see.  For people like me & others who innocently lost their jobs, livelihoods, careers & businesses & in good faith have self isolated & social distanced in good faith to protect myself, family & others it feels like a slap in the face. These measures were put in placed to protect society & then suddenly it was ok to protest & ignore everything that has been done. Why should I now listen to anything my Province's Chief Medical Officer says?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I agree that protesting racism and protesting wanting to go back to the old normal are very different. I agree that advocating for change to bring about more tolerance and acceptance to society are important. However do you not see how people may get frustrated when they were told and continue to be told to stay home, social distance, don't see friends, you can't visit sick relatives or friends, you can't attend a worship service, you can't go to the gym, you may have lost your job but its ok for people to gather in large numbers for these rallies? I support the rallies, I am trying to educate myself but I still feel its a little like two sets of rules. If its ok to open things up for rallies, why not other things? Or is it a case of the risk is acceptable in this case because its for a needed change to society?

I look at it this way. There is more to Public Health than just Covd-19. People being injured or killed due to violent protests are just as critical to public health and should be tried to be prevented as much as the spread of Covisd-19 is.

The cause is important and could likely be viewed in itself as trying to reduce another public health crisis that has been ongoing for decades/ centuries. Preventing racially motivated death needs to be considered as if not more important than the spread of disease.

Need to balance the scale, the threat of a group spreading the virus that is rarely fatal in their demographic vs violent protest causing injury/death and destruction.

17 hours ago, Floyd said:

Not bad...

But I still don't understand your position on the protests?

Do you think the protests will spark a second wave and if not, why not?

Is it because covid doesn't spread easily outside - even in large crowds - then there's no real reason not to restart the CFL season?

Or did the protestors 'use precautions' even though most images contradict this claim? It would follow that if we moderately social distance and a few wear masks we can go right back to normal - instead of completely restructuring society?

CFL fans aren't likely to riot and cause injury/death and destruction if games aren't played.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

I look at it this way. There is more to Public Health than just Covd-19. People being injured or killed due to violent protests are just as critical to public health and should be tried to be prevented as much as the spread of Covisd-19 is.

The cause is important and could likely be viewed in itself as trying to reduce another public health crisis that has been ongoing for decades/ centuries. Preventing racially motivated death needs to be considered as if not more important than the spread of disease.

Need to balance the scale, the threat of a group spreading the virus that is rarely fatal in their demographic vs violent protest causing injury/death and destruction.

CFL fans aren't likely to riot and cause injury/death and destruction if games aren't played.

Speak for yourself....

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

seems a bit excessive to be honest - I would think it’s generally accepted that people feel bad when people die

this forum is pretty harsh at the best of times...  when we joker about all the Haircut protestors who were going to die because they weren’t social distancing - no one took offence

citing stats doesn’t seem cold - it just supports my argument that we need to care for seniors in a better way

Demonstrating empathy isn't usually excessive and people feeling bad when other people die can't be assumed unfortunately. 

I didn't really read anyone specifically joking about someone dying for a haircut but I might have missed it.

Maybe citing stats doesn't seem cold to you but if you don't preface it with some sort context it can come across as cold to others. But that may not be an issue for you in how others see that. 

To understand why there are protests, one should probably frame it this way:  people are literally risking their lives by putting themselves into situations where they know they not only risk becoming infected, but also risk  spreading the virus because the U.S. has reached a breaking point in their treatment of people of colour.  I suspect very few protesters think they are immune to the virus, but are willing to risk the health of themselves or others for the cause. Protests have picked up around the world because this problem is not unique to America.

I was at the Legislature on Friday and my eyes told me that 98-99% of people were wearing masks.  Those not wearing masks were approached by volunteers who offered them masks.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I wore an N95 out of added caution.

For those crying hypocrisy regarding closures and protests - you don't understand the nature of protest.  You need permits for demonstrations, but you don't need them for protests.  Any attempt at shutting down a protest tends to go badly, especially when the majority recognizes the validity of the protests.  This is not unique to our present situation.

Without a doubt, the infection numbers will spike as a result of these protests.  We saw infections in the Michigan armed goon protests, so why won't we see them now?

Every revolution carries risk.  This one just has a really unique one in the form of COVID-19.

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Dr Bonnie Henry in BC has been our best resource since the beginning - the risk of covid outdoors is infinitesimal - it is still contagious within a confined space as with any respiratory disease

the equation is and always has been ‘proximity times length of exposure’

OK but where is the source for your comment about it not spreading like we thought? 

Cause everything spreads much less easily outdoors....

15 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

To understand why there are protests, one should probably frame it this way:  people are literally risking their lives by putting themselves into situations where they know they not only risk becoming infected, but also risk  spreading the virus because the U.S. has reached a breaking point in their treatment of people of colour.  I suspect very few protesters think they are immune to the virus, but are willing to risk the health of themselves or others for the cause. Protests have picked up around the world because this problem is not unique to America.

I was at the Legislature on Friday and my eyes told me that 98-99% of people were wearing masks.  Those not wearing masks were approached by volunteers who offered them masks.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I wore an N95 out of added caution.

For those crying hypocrisy regarding closures and protests - you don't understand the nature of protest.  You need permits for demonstrations, but you don't need them for protests.  Any attempt at shutting down a protest tends to go badly, especially when the majority recognizes the validity of the protests.  This is not unique to our present situation.

Without a doubt, the infection numbers will spike as a result of these protests.  We saw infections in the Michigan armed goon protests, so why won't we see them now?

Every revolution carries risk.  This one just has a really unique one in the form of COVID-19.

And the protests that happened in Calgary I know that officials are urging everyone who attended to self isolate and get tested so it's not like it's just been a complete free for all either. 

A detailed timeline of all the ways Trump failed to respond to the coronavirus

The federal coronavirus response shows a president dead set on avoiding responsibility for the pandemic.

A week and a half ago, the US coronavirus death toll surpassed 100,000 — the most in the world, and more than the next three countries combined.

That number has only grown in the days since. And in the face of that crisis, President Donald Trump has a message for the American people: It was China’s fault, and the only reason the US death toll isn’t worse is because of his quick action in banning travel from China.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/8/21242003/trump-failed-coronavirus-response 

👁‍🗨 I don’t know if you could try to do things in a worse way..🙁