Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

You're the one who used two non-serious cases reported in Manitoba to laugh about the actual fact that it affects the elderly in nursing homes...  that is the definition of twisting information.

Oh no, no one is laughing at that. We are laughing at the broken records who always bring up old people and nursing homes. 

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

I guess I fail to see how anyone’s stance in vaccines affects the basic facts that covid affects the elderly much more severely than the general populace 

however this fact seems to be wilfully ignored by the same posters who just called down J5 for not supporting his argument with experts and ‘accepted facts’

just interesting to watch how information is twisted on all sides

Maybe the vaccine turns out to be one that is only given to older people - or maybe people will need a booster shot when they're older.  

But I do think, based on the stats and information we now have, that the approach to Covid 19 will change. Eg. I don't think schools will be completely closed again, but procedures will change and we might see a blend of remote and on - site learning.

One thing that does bother me in all of this, is the people who find ways to take advantage.  Eg. they are 'isolating at their cabin' and require 6 weeks worth of school work for their child.

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh no, no one is laughing at that. We are laughing at the broken records who always bring up old people and nursing homes. 

That's my point.

Because of two cases in their 20s and 30s... you use that as proof that somehow the overwhelming majority of critical cases and deaths are not related to the elderly and nursing homes. Its a non sequitur... as usual.

I have never seen a post on here that says covid can't be caught by any age group - but I have read many arguments that we should be protecting the elderly and not shutting down the general populace.

4 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Maybe the vaccine turns out to one that is only given to older people. 

I would venture that we debate that once a vaccine is actually developed... in a year or two when Covid is treated by society as 'just another flu'

Right now, the only data we have for SARS-like viruses is that we develop herd immunity and it eventually magically goes away.

The current protests will give us answers very quickly on whether the experts were correct or not... but gathering in a group of 20,000 in Winnipeg 'should' spread covid like wildfire - but of course, it won't because we've known all along that respiratory viruses do not easily spread outside...

Its the hunting and pecking of information that I find interesting on this board

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I wonder how certain people knew 4-5 months ago exactly how the virus would play out. 

And the rest of the world didn’t know.

Again, a non sequitur - the only arguments I've seen on here are about our response vs degree of risk - and actually the world economy has crashed so those predictions were correct.

I would assume that epidemiologists had a pretty good idea how it would play out - but we didn't listen to the ones who's opinions didn't agree with our lockdown

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I would venture that we debate that once a vaccine is actually developed... in a year or two when Covid is treated by society as 'just another flu'

Right now, the only data we have for SARS-like viruses is that we develop herd immunity and it eventually magically goes away.

The current protests will give us answers very quickly on whether the experts were correct or not... but gathering in a group of 20,000 in Winnipeg 'should' spread covid like wildfire - but of course, it won't because we've known all along that respiratory viruses do not easily spread outside...

Its the hunting and pecking of information that I find interesting on this board

Depends where the gathering was.  Eg. Manitoba is quite stable, so the gathering that happened here is not a good test case.  

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Again, a non sequitur - the only arguments I've seen on here are about our response vs degree of risk - and actually the world economy has crashed so those predictions were correct.

I would assume that epidemiologists had a pretty good idea how it would play out - but we didn't listen to the ones who's opinions didn't agree with our lockdown

Ok, which ones should have been listened to?  Because different approaches were taken (or none were taken) and infection rates were higher

United States, Italy, Sweden

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Depends where the gathering was.  Eg. Manitoba is quite stable, so the gathering that happened here is not a good test case.  

The rules are no gatherings over 50.  Not 'stable gatherings over 50 only'.  I have seen pics of Van and Winnipeg - sometimes social distancing and sometimes really really not.

You can't argue that we can only listen to the experts because they are experts and we are not... and then make excuses when we don't.

Regardless, if the experts were/are correct about covid's contagious nature, there should be massive spikes in cases and then deaths around the world after these protests.

Every time there has been a mass gathering - this board has been full of comments like 'those idiots'... 'Darwinism at its finest'... but now we expect that covid will take a break because BLM is a good cause?

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, which ones should have been listened to?  Because different approaches were taken (or none were taken) and infection rates were higher

United States, Italy, Sweden

I'm only speaking based on what's on this board - everyone on here seems to be waiting for Sweden to fail so we can have an 'aha' moment

I do know that the main epidemiologist who suggested herd immunity was the answer - Knut Wittowski - was banned from youtube - merely for stating a different view...  no conspiracy or anything like Plandemic attempted but just expressing his opinion as an epidemiologist with years of experience with SARS

Using his name, I realize that posters will jump on his name and try to make my points sound like crazy conspiracies... but that's part of the deal I guess

Edited by Floyd

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm only speaking based on what's on this board - everyone on here seems to be waiting for Sweden to fail so we can have an 'aha' moment

I think you’re just waiting for that one. The board didn’t bring it up. One or two posters did.
Sweden took a chance, with very mixed results, and not all of them good. They are questioning their methods themselves.

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I do know that the main epidemiologist who suggested herd immunity was the answer - Knut Wittowski

He’s the main man? And he was banned merely for posting a different view?

Yeah, OK on that one..

Everybody else was wrong? Over 200 countries dismissed his point of view? 

- I think you’re the one who’s jumping to conclusions, with a lot of back-checking fact-checking.

Imagine if everybody ignored advice or were late..like the States. Can you imagine that? Or does that not fit your ‘factual’ accounts?

18 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

He’s the main man? And he was banned merely for posting a different view?

Yeah, OK on that one..

Everybody else was wrong? Over 200 countries dismissed his point of view? 

You just illustrated EXACTLY the point I was making...  

I watched the Wittkowski video and considered his points - many of which have validity - I doubt that you watched, am I wrong?

Then to suit your own argument - you extrapolate that to suggest that I'm saying EVERYONE else was wrong

Sweden gets jumped on because they admit they made mistakes... but so did Italy, New York, Canada... 

Just like the protests - no one is calling the BlackLivesMatters protestors idiots for not social distancing and predicting their deaths... but you guys were doing exactly that with everyone else just weeks ago - you can't have it both ways

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sweden took a chance with horrible results and none of them good and are now going "oops..."

Explain how their mistakes had any different results from our mistakes?

We transferred one patient from Oshawa hospital to a nursing home and likely killed 77 people as a result of that move...  how is that 'better' than Sweden?

If Canada takes a more measured approach - and doesn't clear out hospital beds in a panic - we likely have 2/3 or even half the deaths - this isn't conjecture, its been covered in several articles

I think a better way to put this is that countries around the world are currently participating in a 'worst-case' scenario for the spread of covid...  gathering in the centre of cities by the thousands and not social distancing... for extended periods of time... including the elderly and immuno-compromised

All of the instructions from our experts indicate these protests - based on our accepted beliefs about covid's contagion - mean that the second wave should be coming within days and a massive amount of death will follow... no? 

Did I misinterpret our reasons for social distancing and lockdown - that one asymptomatic person may infect 2-3 others and covid spreads exponentially if not contained?  Well the world is officially not containing it... so what do you guys predict will happen?  I'm interested.

We can't use the excuse that its hot and summer because covid is spreading through Africa and the Caribbean... so if we don't experience a spike in deaths, does that mean that social distancing is relatively pointless?  And if so, why?

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You just illustrated EXACTLY the point I was making...  

I watched the Wittkowski video and considered his points - many of which have validity - I doubt that you watched, am I wrong?

Then to suit your own argument - you extrapolate that to suggest that I'm saying EVERYONE else was wrong

Sweden gets jumped on because they admit they made mistakes... but so did Italy, New York, Canada... 

Just like the protests - no one is calling the BlackLivesMatters protestors idiots for not social distancing and predicting their deaths... but you guys were doing exactly that with everyone else just weeks ago - you can't have it both ways

I won’t do double speak like you do.

If you can’t see how the world tried to overcome this unknown virus, then go back to watching you tube videos before those other experts get purged.

8 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

All of them after the fact.

Of course they were 'after the fact - that's why I cite them as 'facts' and not opinions or conjecture...

Again, instead of answering the question - you resort to 'go watch youtube videos'... 

Feel free to check Reuters, BBC, AlJazeera, CBC, G&M, WHO/CDC, The Guardian for more on my 'conspiracy' theories

We are warned every day that restricting lockdown must be slow to avoid a second wave - now we just mobilized massive crowds in almost every country recovering from covid...

Hundreds of people either die now... or it turns out that covid really was a 'nursing home' problem...

Interesting times.

8 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

What? You don’t know what after the fact means?

Buddy, I'm not sure what you think it means - but the numbers I am stating are the official numbers and percentages that are released by the government

Not sure what you think 'after the fact' is... but unless you start actually stating a position, its very hard to understand what point you are trying to get across

Simply question - do you think there will be a second wave because of these protests and if not, why not? 

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Of course they were 'after the fact - that's why I cite them as 'facts' and not opinions or conjecture...

Again, instead of answering the question - you resort to 'go watch youtube videos'... 

Feel free to check Reuters, BBC, AlJazeera, CBC, G&M, WHO/CDC, The Guardian for more on my 'conspiracy' theories

We are warned every day that restricting lockdown must be slow to avoid a second wave - now we just mobilized massive crowds in almost every country recovering from covid...

Hundreds of people either die now... or it turns out that covid really was a 'nursing home' problem...

Interesting times.

It feels like to me you're waiting for the 'I told you so' moment not the "I'm looking at this objectively more than others are". In a way I get it, it would be comforting for some who don't have loved elderly relatives or elderly friends and that it's only an older persons problem.

If you feel as strongly as it sounds in how others are hunting and pecking information for their purposes and shouting down others, then go out and join the other protestors who want their liberty and freedom back.

One thing I'm pretty sure is everyone who posts on this board wants this shite plaque to go away so we can get back to some level of normalcy. 

16 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It feels like to me you're waiting for the 'I told you so' moment not the "I'm looking at this objectively more than others are". In a way I get it, it would be comforting for some who don't have loved elderly relatives or elderly friends and that it's only an older persons problem.

If you feel as strongly as it sounds in how others are hunting and pecking information for their purposes and shouting down others, then go out and join the other protestors who want their liberty and freedom back.

One thing I'm pretty sure is everyone who posts on this board wants this shite plaque to go away so we can get back to some level of normalcy. 

This whole board is a constant I told you so moment ha - how long have you been here?  Its basically lord of the flies.

Also don't project - you have no knowledge of my life and I don't have any about yours... I don't try to claim to know what you're thinking so please return the favour

I only started posting again because a few guys on here were cracking jokes about how delusional it was to think that covid was an elderly and nursing home problem...   except it is.  And that will likely be demonstrated in the next two weeks... 

Once we accept that its not killing everyone in the general populace and spreading exponentially then we accelerate the return to normalcy... or should anyway.