Covid-19

JCon

Hydro Should be flush with cash.  Ndp mismanaged it for years.  But the province should guarantee those jobs at this time.  If you want to reduce, that’s fine.  Offer incentive packages and early retirement.  Pretty crappy thing to do.  

Id like to know what was offered that the unions turned down.  I know from a friend who works there that hydro wanted them to take a temporary wage decrease but they did not want that feeling government would try to keep it.  She also told me a filmon Friday would have been fine with her. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hydro Should be flush with cash.  Ndp mismanaged it for years.  But the province should guarantee those jobs at this time.  If you want to reduce, that’s fine.  Offer incentive packages and early retirement.  Pretty crappy thing to do.  

Id like to know what was offered that the unions turned down.  I know from a friend who works there that hydro wanted them to take a temporary wage decrease but they did not want that feeling government would try to keep it.  She also told me a filmon Friday would have been fine with her. 

I believe the agreement reached with some negotiating units was reported as 5 unpaid days off this fiscal year. 

13 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I believe the agreement reached with some negotiating units was reported as 5 unpaid days off this fiscal year. 

Thats a pretty easy thing to accept if it were between that and losing my job.  

Now that the feds are providing about $500 million to Manitoba, they cancel the layoffs.  Yeah right.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

But you must know that is just fake news, because COVID19 affects only the elderly. According to some.

The actual facts are that Covid is lethal to the elderly (over 70) while the majority of cases are in the 30-60 range

It is also a fact that the majority of those deaths were in nursing homes.

It is pretty funny (and sad I guess) watching the same guys who shouted down J5 ignore actual data and facts...

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

the two new cases are a man in his 20s and another in his 30s. A trucker and an associate of the trucker...

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

But you must know that is just fake news, because COVID19 affects only the elderly. According to some.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

and only in nursing homes!

- 7 deaths (man 70s, woman 80s, woman 60s, woman 60s, man 50s, man 60s, man 70s)

Seems pretty elderly to me...

I can only quote BC - 21 deaths under 60, 140 deaths over 60 - vast majority of deaths and hospitalizations related to nursing homes

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

- 7 deaths (man 70s, woman 80s, woman 60s, woman 60s, man 50s, man 60s, man 70s)

Seems pretty elderly to me...

I can only quote BC - 21 deaths under 60, 140 deaths over 60 - vast majority of deaths and hospitalizations related to nursing homes

The consensus appears to be is that the deaths are not necessarily senescence-related, but due in large part to the warehousing of frail or already ill people in close quarters without adequate medical attention or nosochromial infection control. I take that to mean that if you pack people together as in jails or ghettos, you would get a roughly comparable spike in those residents as well. And it is reported as happening in US jails and Indian ghettos.

19 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The consensus appears to be is that the deaths are not necessarily senescence-related, but due in large part to the warehousing of frail or already ill people in close quarters without adequate medical attention or nosochromial infection control. I take that to mean that if you pack people together as in jails or ghettos, you would get a roughly comparable spike in those residents as well. And it is reported as happening in US jails and Indian ghettos.

Yes this is correct

However even within that equation, the elderly are disproportionately represented in icu and deaths

60% of deaths in BC were over 80

60% of cases were 30-60

1 out of 318 cases of community spread was from the outdoors

41 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The actual facts are that Covid is lethal to the elderly (over 70) while the majority of cases are in the 30-60 range

It is also a fact that the majority of those deaths were in nursing homes.

It is pretty funny (and sad I guess) watching the same guys who shouted down J5 ignore actual data and facts...

Anti - vax rhetoric deserves to be shouted down.  

57 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Anti - vax rhetoric deserves to be shouted down.  

Ah yes the imaginary covid vaccine ha and the sad response that you are either pro or anti vaccines and there is no in between 

ill stick with my hep and polio vaccines thanks - and wait for covid herd immunity - its getting close

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Ah yes the imaginary covid vaccine ha and the sad response that you are either pro or anti vaccines and there is no in between 

ill stick with my hep and polio vaccines thanks - and wait for covid herd immunity - its getting close

I am referring to being anti - vax in general. As in, not even taking polio vaccine. I have no patience for that kind of thinking. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I am referring to being anti - vax in general. As in, not even taking polio vaccine. I have no patience for that kind of thinking. 

You seemed to be aligning my statement of facts with an anti vaccine conspiracy 

8 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Merely citing the opinion of the individual you’re defending. 

I guess I fail to see how anyone’s stance in vaccines affects the basic facts that covid affects the elderly much more severely than the general populace 

however this fact seems to be wilfully ignored by the same posters who just called down J5 for not supporting his argument with experts and ‘accepted facts’

just interesting to watch how information is twisted on all sides

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I guess I fail to see how anyone’s stance in vaccines affects the basic facts that covid affects the elderly much more severely than the general populace 

however this fact seems to be wilfully ignored by the same posters who just called down J5 for not supporting his argument with experts and ‘accepted facts’

just interesting to watch how information is twisted on all sides

There is no information being twisted. Everything affects the elderly and sick more. It's just a pretty lame point to keep bringing up when the rest of us took measures to avoid spreading this thing. People in old folks homes however were always at the mercy of where the workers there had been and what they brought in.

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

There is no information being twisted. Everything affects the elderly and sick more. It's just a pretty lame point to keep bringing up when the rest of us took measures to avoid spreading this thing. People in old folks homes however were always at the mercy of where the workers there had been and what they brought in.

Pardon me?  I self-isolated before it was mandatory because the remote community I live in has a high elderly population - so enough with your typical, us vs them arguments - it gets old.  I'm actually back in precautionary quarantine after a trip to film wolves in BC...

You're the one who used two non-serious cases reported in Manitoba to laugh about the actual fact that it affects the elderly in nursing homes...  that is the definition of twisting information.

Edited by Floyd