Covid-19

JCon

50 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"If we had sheltered in place we wouldn't have Woodstock" might just be the "ok boomer" to end them all.

Every generation think's they are smarter than any generation before or after.  I will say this, we had no social media back in 1969. No internet so no fan forums like this to discuss the world's problems. No facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram & no smartphones for pictures or texting. As individuals, we were alone compared to today. The truth is in 1968, there was no social distancing,  no masks, hand sanitizers, no quarantines, self isolation & no social distancing. Schools weren't closed, businesses weren't shuttered & the World Of Sports continued. People accepted the fact we got the Hong Kong Flu. Some died & most didn't. Life went on. The pandemic wasn't even on anyone's Concerned List. 

The flu lasted thru 3 or 4 waves from 1968-72. I remember getting really, really sick at Xmas time in 68. I was 13 & I remember being seriously ill for 4 or 5 days before starting to get over it. I was the sickest on Xmas Eve & Xmas Day & my parents went out to spend both those days with family & I had to stay home in bed. I remember being really pissed off about that. I also  remember getting the flu again the next Xmas in 69 & missed everything for a second year & I was so angry it happened twice in a row. Did I have the Hong Kong flu? No idea. I can only guess & say yes. 

On 2020-05-27 at 4:45 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Spanish flu killed 500,000 plus. Ten months.  Covid over 100,000 in what 2-3 months with massive lockdowns and social distancing.  The comparison is real.  

- estimates for Spanish flu are over 25 million deaths

Michael Gallagher - infectious disease physician - Part 2

I think I can speak for a lot of medical professionals when I say, we don’t mean to be arrogant, we don’t mean to be jerks, but damn it, this bullshit is frustrating and yes, we’re going to clap back to ignorance. Ignorance is not something to be flaunted and there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is being uninformed. Stop being willfully ignorant and even reveling in it because it doesn’t fit your preconceived narrative or opinion. Even worse, stop pretending you’re not ignorant because you watched some damn YouTube video or read some op-ed piece. That’s someone’s opinion, normally based on nothing. NOTHING. No research. That’s not information. That’s not factual. That’s not based in science. It’s click-bait with the sole intention of riling you up and getting you to let your guard down. And instead of being pissed at the virus that’s causing all this, it’s to direct your anger at the government or doctors or anywhere else their agenda wants it directed.

Medical people are fired up for a couple reasons. 1 month ago, we were all heroes and putting our lives on the line because this was dangerous stuff. Well, I think I can speak for most of us when I say we aren’t heroic, we’re just doing our job. But guess what, we’re still doing the same damn thing we were doing a month ago and this crap still hasn’t gone away but now we’re “just trying to scare people” because “it’s really no big deal.” We aren’t looking for a pat on the back or even a thank you, we just want you to do what we all need to do to stop this thing and avoid the spread. Listen, if you think that my big fat ass enjoys sweating like a ***** in church in an isolation gown, walking around like Mr Magoo because my glasses are fogged up because of my mask, and wearing goggles that dig into the backs of my ears because I’m “just a sheep,” you are mistaken. It’s because I don’t want this virus and I don’t want to take it home to my family and I don’t want to infect my co-workers and other patients. We’re fired up because we’ve seen and even performed intubations. We don’t intubate for funsies. Outside of the surgical setting, an intubation is basically throwing a Hail Mary to save someone’s life. And when the mortality rate once that plastic tube slides between your vocal cords with COVID-19 is 85-89%, yeah, that’s terrifying. This virus is dangerous.

Lastly, stop being spoiled children about public health advisories. Stop bitching about wearing a mask when you’re in public places. Stop pretending that that is somehow infringing on your rights. Get over yourself. I wish all businesses would grow a pair and refuse service to people who refuse to wear a mask “out of principle.”

Police aren’t inclined to enforce it and that’s fine but, spoiler alert, private businesses have and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Don’t tell me it’s ok for a bakery to refuse service to a gay couple for a wedding cake on religious grounds but not ok for a convenience store to refuse service because they don’t want the outbreak monkey strolling through their place coughing all over other patrons and their staff. Stay outside the 6ft bubble, wear a damn mask, and wash your hands. It’s that easy. Stop pretending they’re asking for a kidney. It’s as much to protect yourself as it is everyone else. People wonder why we have things like stay-at-home orders and closing of non-essential businesses. It’s because of you, jackass, you’re the problem. It’s your lack of ability to exercise common sense and your refusal to follow simple, insanely simple advice that forces the government to exercise it for you. And even then, you still thumb your nose at it in all your ignorant glory. Sorry that you feel like they’re infringing on your right to be an irresponsible child. 

Look, all I’m saying is I get that it’s frustrating and I get that it’s irritating, and inconvenient and all the other bad things that it is, but please, continue to take this seriously, continue to do the little things that make a big difference. Stop denying facts, science, and the advice from people who have spent a lifetime doing what they do in the medical and research fields to ultimately make everyone’s lives healthier, safer, and better.

I’m done with my soap box now. ✌🏻

#washyourhands #wearamask

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Michael Gallagher - infectious disease physician - Part 2

I think I can speak for a lot of medical professionals when I say, we don’t mean to be arrogant, we don’t mean to be jerks, but damn it, this bullshit is frustrating and yes, we’re going to clap back to ignorance. Ignorance is not something to be flaunted and there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is being uninformed. Stop being willfully ignorant and even reveling in it because it doesn’t fit your preconceived narrative or opinion. Even worse, stop pretending you’re not ignorant because you watched some damn YouTube video or read some op-ed piece. That’s someone’s opinion, normally based on nothing. NOTHING. No research. That’s not information. That’s not factual. That’s not based in science. It’s click-bait with the sole intention of riling you up and getting you to let your guard down. And instead of being pissed at the virus that’s causing all this, it’s to direct your anger at the government or doctors or anywhere else their agenda wants it directed.

Medical people are fired up for a couple reasons. 1 month ago, we were all heroes and putting our lives on the line because this was dangerous stuff. Well, I think I can speak for most of us when I say we aren’t heroic, we’re just doing our job. But guess what, we’re still doing the same damn thing we were doing a month ago and this crap still hasn’t gone away but now we’re “just trying to scare people” because “it’s really no big deal.” We aren’t looking for a pat on the back or even a thank you, we just want you to do what we all need to do to stop this thing and avoid the spread. Listen, if you think that my big fat ass enjoys sweating like a ***** in church in an isolation gown, walking around like Mr Magoo because my glasses are fogged up because of my mask, and wearing goggles that dig into the backs of my ears because I’m “just a sheep,” you are mistaken. It’s because I don’t want this virus and I don’t want to take it home to my family and I don’t want to infect my co-workers and other patients. We’re fired up because we’ve seen and even performed intubations. We don’t intubate for funsies. Outside of the surgical setting, an intubation is basically throwing a Hail Mary to save someone’s life. And when the mortality rate once that plastic tube slides between your vocal cords with COVID-19 is 85-89%, yeah, that’s terrifying. This virus is dangerous.

Lastly, stop being spoiled children about public health advisories. Stop bitching about wearing a mask when you’re in public places. Stop pretending that that is somehow infringing on your rights. Get over yourself. I wish all businesses would grow a pair and refuse service to people who refuse to wear a mask “out of principle.”

Police aren’t inclined to enforce it and that’s fine but, spoiler alert, private businesses have and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Don’t tell me it’s ok for a bakery to refuse service to a gay couple for a wedding cake on religious grounds but not ok for a convenience store to refuse service because they don’t want the outbreak monkey strolling through their place coughing all over other patrons and their staff. Stay outside the 6ft bubble, wear a damn mask, and wash your hands. It’s that easy. Stop pretending they’re asking for a kidney. It’s as much to protect yourself as it is everyone else. People wonder why we have things like stay-at-home orders and closing of non-essential businesses. It’s because of you, jackass, you’re the problem. It’s your lack of ability to exercise common sense and your refusal to follow simple, insanely simple advice that forces the government to exercise it for you. And even then, you still thumb your nose at it in all your ignorant glory. Sorry that you feel like they’re infringing on your right to be an irresponsible child. 

Look, all I’m saying is I get that it’s frustrating and I get that it’s irritating, and inconvenient and all the other bad things that it is, but please, continue to take this seriously, continue to do the little things that make a big difference. Stop denying facts, science, and the advice from people who have spent a lifetime doing what they do in the medical and research fields to ultimately make everyone’s lives healthier, safer, and better.

I’m done with my soap box now. ✌🏻

#washyourhands #wearamask

You can't eliminate the virus even with taking precautions. I believe the majority of humanity will become infected in time. Without a vaccine, that's the only way to eventually beat this thing. It can be slowed down by taking the precautions you mentioned Mr Dee but eventually at some place or some time it'll get us as it is invisible. 

A month ago we were hunkered down in our homes as the stats for infections kept rising at an alarming rate.  Politicians & celebrities were telling us to stay indoors. Now we have the same politicians telling us we must go out. We must support small business. That this can't go on. It's really just an Old Folks disease, anyway. There is little or no leadership in Washington as the US leads the world in infections. Trump is vowing not to shut the country down again if there are more waves of infections. GOP governors are opening everything from amusement parks to beaches depending on the State.

Now, we have Jason Kenney saying the same things here in Alberta as GOP governors & Trump. That this is an Old Folks Disease so get out there & support local Alberta businesses & protect the old & vulnerable.  So easy, peasy, right? Wrong! Everybody just gets confused with the mixed messaging. Kenney's sudden about face is a surprise even to me as a Conservative. Is he right? How the hell should I know when the Chief Medical Officer is telling us something else entirely. This is going on all over the place. In Quebec & Ontario & in the US where infections are highest. Why would Ontario & Quebec open up their economies when infections are still rising? It makes no sense but that's what we're getting from governments & it confuses everyone. 

Is there any wonder why people are the way they are when they keep hearing mixed messages from politicians everywhere? Instead of saying it's our fault if we go into a second lockdown & don't take precautions then I'd advise you to  throw shade at the people running governments everywhere like Jason Kenney & Francois Legault who sent kids back to school a week or so ago only to change his mind a couple of days later. 

Throw shade at our Canadian Chief Medical officer Dr. Theresa Tam who kept changing her message from keeping borders open in February to closing them in early April.  Then saying late last  winter & early spring that there was no need to wear masks as they don't help . Then suddenly changing her mind & saying yes, we should wear masks as they may help. Or they may not. That is why people are so ****** up.  We can't trust what politicians & public health officials tell us so we might as well watch You Tube videos & listen to clueless radio & tv commentators for all the good the others that are paid to do are doing. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We can't trust what politicians & public health officials tell us so we might as well watch You Tube videos & listen to clueless radio & tv commentators for all the good the others that are paid to do are doing. 

Clearly, you must read the posted article again. Everybody’s still learning about this new virus, but I’ll choose to listen to health care professionals who are learning,  but in a much better position to give advice. 
People who choose to use YouTube etc. must do so at their own risk.

16 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Clearly, you must read the posted article again. Everybody’s still learning about this new virus, but I’ll choose to listen to health care professionals who are learning,  but in a much better position to give advice. 
People who choose to use YouTube etc. must do so at their own risk.

I've come to learn that medicine is more of an art than science as it's a never ending cycle of learning and adapting.

17 hours ago, Tracker said:

Correction: Kenny is the most despised with Pallister a close second overall.

Living here in Alberta, my perspective is he wears this as a badge of honor. That is, I truly believe that he thinks the more upset people get with his decisions and approaches, that tells him he is doing things right. He believes all his decisions are tough but needed, are courageous  and are for the greater good for Albertans.  In a lot of cases I think he is misinterpreting/misusing/misrepresenting what an effective leader looks like to rationalize what he does and how he behaves.

Overtime I've seen people in leadership positions honestly believe in themselves that they are doing things right when the people they lead are constantly getting upset with them. Constantly being the key word here. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Top text

Dogs are ******* awesome. 

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Living here in Alberta, my perspective is he wears this as a badge of honor. That is, I truly believe that he thinks the more upset people get with his decisions and approaches, that tells him he is doing things right. He believes all his decisions are tough but needed, are courageous  and are for the greater good for Albertans.  In a lot of cases I think he is misinterpreting/misusing/misrepresenting what an effective leader looks like to rationalize what he does and how he behaves.

Overtime I've seen people in leadership positions honestly believe in themselves that they are doing things right when the people they lead are constantly getting upset with them. Constantly being the key word here. 

No I just think Kenney is a true believer. He's an ideologue who truly believes in his vision of the world as the correct one and he will do whatever it takes to enact that. It's ******* dangerous and a disaster waiting to happen. It's going to take years and years and years to dig out of the hole he's putting this province in. God willing Albertans come to their senses and vote his evil ass out of office next time and don't give him a 2nd term to **** things over even more. 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Manitoba's numbers are quite remarkable, 294 cases out of 42,306 tests means only 0.7% of those tested had Covid. Especially since national, its roughly 5.5%.

No doubt the rapid imposing of restrictive measures has a major part to play in this, but we might be fortunate in which strain of COVID19 we have on hand.

Quebec says 41 students and staff have tested positive for COVID-19 since reopening

Published Friday, May 29, 2020 1:41PM EDTLast Updated Friday, May 29, 2020 2:27PM EDT

MONTREAL -- Quebec's education department says a total of 41 students and teachers have tested positive for COVID-19 since elementary schools outside the Montreal area opened on May 11.

When Quebec announced it would be reopening elementary schools before September – as the number of COVID-19 cases continued to rise in the province – the rest of the country watched as the plan unfolded. 

A survey of school boards conducted May 25 found that 19 students and 22 staff members were found to be infected in the first two weeks following the reopening.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-says-41-students-and-staff-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-since-reopening-1.4960628

13 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Quebec says 41 students and staff have tested positive for COVID-19 since reopening

Published Friday, May 29, 2020 1:41PM EDTLast Updated Friday, May 29, 2020 2:27PM EDT

MONTREAL -- Quebec's education department says a total of 41 students and teachers have tested positive for COVID-19 since elementary schools outside the Montreal area opened on May 11.

When Quebec announced it would be reopening elementary schools before September – as the number of COVID-19 cases continued to rise in the province – the rest of the country watched as the plan unfolded. 

A survey of school boards conducted May 25 found that 19 students and 22 staff members were found to be infected in the first two weeks following the reopening.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-says-41-students-and-staff-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-since-reopening-1.4960628

If 75-80% of students have returned to school... 41 out of 100-120,000 students - not counting staff...  seems pretty reasonable

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If 75-80% of students have returned to school... 41 out of 100-120,000 students - not counting staff...  seems pretty reasonable

Where are you getting the 100,000 - 120,000 number?  1,700,000 cases ago, 15 cases seemed pretty reasonable in the U.S.