Covid-19

JCon

25 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Authorities in Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, have officially banned the eating of all wild animals, it was announced today.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wuhan-china-coronavirus-ban-wild-animals-eating-wildlife-trade-markets-a9524606.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1589990828

The horse is already out of the barn but should make PETA happy. 

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

therapy not cure AND you are neglecting the scientists who said the risks associated with taking the drug did not outweigh potential benefits, ie. it is linked to heart problems. 

So yeah there might be some science that says it can help with the symptoms but there's also negatives associated with it and it isn't really recommended as a treatment, and it's certainly no kind of preventative measure. 

Trump would probably die if he contracted the virus, so in his case, it's probably worth the risks. Same goes for all the elderly, when the alternative is a death sentence. 

20 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Trump would probably die if he contracted the virus, so in his case, it's probably worth the risks. Same goes for all the elderly, when the alternative is a death sentence. 

No we're not that lucky. He hasn't passed away from a massive heart attack while he's rage tweeting on the crapper eating a steady diet of hamberders. 

Besides that, he needs to see the inside of a prison cell before he dies. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

therapy not cure AND you are neglecting the scientists who said the risks associated with taking the drug did not outweigh potential benefits, ie. it is linked to heart problems. 

So yeah there might be some science that says it can help with the symptoms but there's also negatives associated with it and it isn't really recommended as a treatment, and it's certainly no kind of preventative measure. 

And the initial study done in France that seemed to support  the efficacy of the hydroxychloroquine has been thoroughly discredited by the organization that sponsored it .

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And the initial study done in France that seemed to support  the efficacy of the hydroxychloroquine has been thoroughly discredited by the organization that sponsored it .

The initial study is when Trump first started practicing how to say hydroxychloroquine. 
Do you think that’s going to stop him now? 😁

BC is adjusting plans rapidly, originally the remainder of the school year had been cancelled, just received word from my S.D, that local schools will re-open June 1st .  Attendance will not be mandatory, each student has the option of attending  2-3 days per week on specified days, teachers will be working with a 50% class-load 5 days per week.    I think this is rather premature and will not allow my kids to take part in this experiment, but I must admit I have not heard any reports of children catching or passing on COVID-19. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

BC is adjusting plans rapidly, originally the remainder of the school year had been cancelled, just received word from my S.D, that local schools will re-open June 1st .  Attendance will not be mandatory, each student has the option of attending  2-3 days per week on specified days, teachers will be working with a 50% class-load 5 days per week.    I think this is rather premature and will not allow my kids to take part in this experiment, but I must admit I have not heard any reports of children catching or passing on COVID-19. 

This sounds much like the plan Norway implemented with elementary schools there a few weeks back. I haven't asked my friend there lately but the global stats would indicate that it has been successful with no surge in infection rates there.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

A Columbia University study reports that if the US had implemented social distancing just one week earlier in March, there would have been roughly 36,000 fewer deaths - New York Times

Overall, this administration completely dragged their heels for almost 2 months. Can only wonder what impact on the death total, that ultimately made.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There is a very preliminary study out of Norway (I think) that indicated that children were very unlikely to spread the virus. 

This is what I've been reading too. All the evidence of Covid suggests that children do not spread the disease.

I have a very hard time believing that simply because kids aren't known for tremendous hand washing nor keeping their distance. Gonna need to see a very convincing study to show that. I totally buy that children kick the disease a lot faster, but it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be spreaders. Given that we know it can be spread by asymptotic people already just can't fathom how children don't spread it. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I have a very hard time believing that simply because kids aren't known for tremendous hand washing nor keeping their distance. Gonna need to see a very convincing study to show that. I totally buy that children kick the disease a lot faster, but it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't be spreaders. Given that we know it can be spread by asymptotic people already just can't fathom how children don't spread it. 

I can't speak for other parents,  pre-covid my children were not exposed to large crowds of adults in comparison to my wife and myself. 

We rarely bring them out shopping ,  to large sporting events, restaurants etc...

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Everything I've read has been early indicators and not a rational, well researched study. I will wait for those before making conclusive decisions about sending my kids back to the salt mines school, if they open in the fall. 

Edited by JCon

46 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Its probably moreso that they seem to have a natural immunity or they get it, dont have symptoms and become somewhat immune. But we've seen children die from it (and have other complications) so its still a risk.  But I agree, if I have the virus, cough on my hands, handle an object, child then handles object and has virus on their hands and touches something another adult touches, how is there not spread?  The child's hands dont absorb and destroy the virus.  Those studies probably mean children arent shedding the virus in the same way adults are.

But were it me, I'd not look at a school of 500 kids and say, well, maybe 5 get sick and only one dies so lets go learn.  

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Bars & restaurants re-opening.  One thing that doesnt make sense to me is VLT's not re-opening.  I assume its the government being sensitive to their own profiting but its a killer for a lot of small bars/lounges.  Plus, its pretty east to clean and social distance at VLT's.