Covid-19

JCon

GOP leaders stepping up to the plate:

Chris Christie: We have to reopen country and 'allow that there are going to be deaths'

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/496112-chris-christie-we-have-to-reopen-country-and-allow-that-there-are-going-to

GOP Ohio state lawmaker refuses to wear face mask because faces are the 'likeness of God'

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/496086-gop-ohio-state-lawmaker-refuses-to-wear-face-mask-because-faces-are-the

1 hour ago, do or die said:

GOP leaders stepping up to the plate:

Chris Christie: We have to reopen country and 'allow that there are going to be deaths'

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/496112-chris-christie-we-have-to-reopen-country-and-allow-that-there-are-going-to

GOP Ohio state lawmaker refuses to wear face mask because faces are the 'likeness of God'

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/496086-gop-ohio-state-lawmaker-refuses-to-wear-face-mask-because-faces-are-the

The religious nut stuff always reminds me of this:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Admitting that he was told (it was in his daily briefing even earlier) but he didnt understand it, is a bold move.

If you think that it was a deliberate revelation by Trump, you would be wrong. He is like a rabid ferret on meth and trying to credit him with logic is pointless.

Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman says evidence suggests coronavirus was not manmade or released from lab

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/496241-joint-chiefs-of-staff-chairman-says-evidence-suggests-coronavirus-was-not

You realize, that we will now have to wait a day or two, until Trump and his megaphones roll out the next phony baloney narrative.   Or perhaps until later this afternoon......

Whistleblower Alleges Trump Administration Ignored Dire COVID-19 Warnings
FALSE STARTS
The complaint filed on Tuesday by Dr. Rick Bright described an administration that sputtered when the virus emerged.

Sam Stein,  Erin Banco, Asawin Suebsaeng, Jackie Kucinich
Updated May. 05, 2020 3:39PM ET / Published May. 05, 2020 2:30PM ET 
The Trump administration was warned in late January that it had a critical shortage of surgical masks needed to combat coronavirus and that it needed to prioritize the development of a vaccine. But it failed to take action, a top administration health official alleges in a whistleblower complaint formally filed on Tuesday.

The complaint from Dr. Rick Bright, who led the government’s efforts to find a vaccine for the coronavirus before being reassigned to a position at the National Institutes of Health, details what he describes as a staggering degree of inaction from administration officials bracing for a historic pandemic. Bright, who served as a program leader within the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), says he raised alarms about supply chain shortages early on during the coronavirus’ spread. While certain officials inside the administration shared his fears—most notably, President Donald Trump’s trade adviser Peter Navarro—others did not. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/whistleblower-alleges-trump-adm-ignored-dire-covid-warnings?ref=home

The really frightening things about all this is how completely subverted all the usual checks and balances of government have been, how few have responded to their consciences and how absent the media have been in their duties to observe and report. The only media who have been invested in reporting the goings-on in the White House have been Faux News with their stream of propaganda.

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-mutations-sars-cov-insights-virus-evolution.html

Researchers found that a large proportion of the global genetic diversity of SARS-CoV-2 is found in all hardest-hit countries, suggesting extensive global transmission from early on in the epidemic and the absence of single 'Patient Zeroes' in most countries.

The findings, published today in Infection, Genetics and Evolution, also further establish the virus only emerged recently in late 2019, before quickly spreading across the globe.Scientists analysed the emergence of genomic diversity in SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing Covid-19, by screening the genomes of over 7,500 viruses from infected patients around the globe. They identified 198 mutations that appear to have independently occurred more than once, which may hold clues to how the virus is adapting.

Co-lead author Professor Francois Balloux (UCL Genetics Institute) said: "All viruses naturally mutate. Mutations in themselves are not a bad thing and there is nothing to suggest SARS-CoV-2 is mutating faster or slower than expected. So far we cannot say whether SARS-CoV-2 is becoming more or less lethal and contagious."

The coronavirus has mutated. Here's what that means

The dominant strain in much of the world is now a more contagious variant of the original virus

MAY 5, 2020 11:05PM (UTC)

Anew strain of the novel coronavirus appears to be more contagious than the version that gained footing at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). 

The new strain, dubbed D614G, surfaced in Europe in February before appearing in the east coast of the United States. It has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, according to the report. That fact is raising concerns, not just over the new strain's infectivity but also because some believe the existence of a secondary strain may make some patients vulnerable to a second infection after surviving a different strain.

FYI: In case you haven't heard, US deaths passed 70,000 today and appears to be escalating in response to the easing of restrictions. Trump's response: wind down the task force overseeing the pandemic. He is offloading the responsibility onto the states, probably on the urging of his sycophants due to the looming tidal wave of infections. Then he can wash his hands of all responsibility for all the increased and preventable deaths and blame the states for not following his leadership- " If they had only done what I told them to do, everything would have been perfect."

The Experts Have No Idea How Many COVID-19 Cases There Are

"In the early days of the COVID-19 panic—about three weeks ago—it was common to hear both of these phrases often repeated:

"The fatality rate of this virus is very high!"
"There are far more cases of this out there than we know about!"
The strategy of insisting that both these statements are true at the same time has been used by politicians to implement "lockdowns" that have forced business to close and millions to lose their jobs. For instance, on March 12, Ohio Department of Health director Amy Acton insisted that "over 100,000" people are "carrying this virus in Ohio today." The state began to implement "stay-at-home" lockdown orders that day.

At the time, the World Health Organization (WHO), the media, and others were reporting that 2 to 4 percent of people with COVID-19 would die. Taking the low-end 2 percent number, and allowing for an incubation period, this would mean that two weeks after Acton's announcement—assuming that the lockdown was 100 percent effective and not a single additional person caught the disease—two thousand Ohioans would likely be dead of COVID-19.  But as of April 17, more than a month later, and after a month of the disease spreading through grocery stores and other "essential" areas of commerce, about 418 Ohioans have died of COVID-19.

Clearly, something doesn't add up."

"we get at least 990,000 infections in the U.S. The number of cases reported on March 19 in the U.S. was 13,677, more than 72-fold lower. These numbers imply a fatality rate from Covid-19 orders of magnitude smaller than it appears….If our surmise of six million cases is accurate, that’s a mortality rate of 0.01%, assuming a two week lag between infection and death. This is one-tenth of the flu mortality rate of 0.1%.

https://mises.org/wire/experts-have-no-idea-how-many-covid-19-cases-there-are

6 hours ago, do or die said:

Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman says evidence suggests coronavirus was not manmade or released from lab

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/496241-joint-chiefs-of-staff-chairman-says-evidence-suggests-coronavirus-was-not

You realize, that we will now have to wait a day or two, until Trump and his megaphones roll out the next phony baloney narrative.   Or perhaps until later this afternoon......

Another round of firings coming up.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Do I have to bring out my "no one isolates during the flu" quote again?

Some people are clueless and there’s nothing anyone can say or do to change their minds.  I would like to hear their justification now since they used to say “it’s just the flu and no one cares about their deaths”.  Well flu season results on 12,000-60,000 deaths a year in the US.  We’re over 70,000 now for Covid in a much shorter period of time with massive lockdown and isolation.