Covid-19

JCon

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

The numbers today out of Alberta are downright scary. How any sane politician can advocate re-opening the province in any measure is criminal.

I'm petrified. Very happy to be somewhat secluded in a small town north of the real problem (Calgary). My wife's mother is in a long term care home in South Calgary (she has a very advanced MS) and thankfully she's safe so far, but we worry non stop. Wife wants to visit her for Mothers Day, but I don't want any part of going into the city... 

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm petrified. Very happy to be somewhat secluded in a small town north of the real problem (Calgary). My wife's mother is in a long term care home in South Calgary (she has a very advanced MS) and thankfully she's safe so far, but we worry non stop. Wife wants to visit her for Mothers Day, but I don't want any part of going into the city... 

This pandemic won't end until about 70% of us have been infected. Expert microbiologists & epidemiologists say that the pandemic could last up to 2 more years with waves rolling through periodically like the Spanish Flu from 1918-19. If you don't live your life & become paralyzed by fear then what kind of life is it? Afraid to leave your house. Afraid to go to the store. Afraid to go for a walk. Afraid of other people. Chances are you'll contract it at some point. We have no idea when a vaccine will be available. that being said, I won't go out of my way to be out in public very much & act like its normal. I'll be staying indoors mostly like I'm doing now but if I need a haircut then I'll get one. If I have to shop then I'll shop. If I need or want something I'll get it. Damned if I'll let fear run my life. 

Now, the most important thing to me is a safe work environment when we do go back to work. Getting infected from one of my students is my biggest concern.  I fully expect that just about all of us will  get the virus at some point. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

32 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I won't go out of my way to be out in public very much & act like its normal. I'll be staying indoors mostly like I'm doing now but if I need a haircut then I'll get one. If I have to shop then I'll shop. If I need or want something I'll get it. Damned if I'll let fear run my life. 

See, meanwhile I look at it from the perspective that I will take every precaution to not get infected and spread Covid to those i come into contact... my family, my friends, neighbors and in turn all of their loved ones... you, your wife... your kids... 

I am ok with the physical distancing because when someone needs to be placed on a ventilator... I am helping them get one by doing my part in not overloading our medical system.

I'll more than likely be fine if I get it...

Others though, with underlying medical conditions might not. So I am fine with physical distancing... I can go without that haircut, I will double check to see if I truly need to get something or can i do without or have it delivered instead...

Physical distancing should be more out of consideration for your fellow humans than fear for one's self.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

49 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

See, meanwhile I look at it from the perspective that I will take every precaution to not get infected and spread Covid to those i come into contact... my family, my friends, neighbors and in turn all of their loved ones... you, your wife... your kids... 

I am ok with the physical distancing because when someone needs to be placed on a ventilator... I am helping them get one by doing my part in not overloading our medical system.

Others though, with underlying medical conditions might not. So I am fine with physical distancing... I can go without that haircut, I will double check to see if I truly need to get something or can i do without or have it delivered instead...

Physical distancing should be more out of consideration for your fellow humans than fear for one's self.

For sure. I'll physical distance. I had a repair guy in my house on Friday as our dishwasher was on the fritz & I wanted to avoid him as much as I could. I didn't want a stranger in my house but what can I do?  Live in fear & do without kitchen appliances scared to call someone when they break one by one? That's just being paranoid.  It needed to be fixed so I got it fixed. I felt he got a little too close when I had to pay him by credit card as he suddenly walked over & was about a foot away from me which I didn't like. I disinfected the sink & counter top where the dishwasher is where he worked after he left.

Other than making trips to the store or go for a walk, I don't go out at all but like I said if I have to go out then I'll go out & respect physical distancing. I don't consider myself reckless & I respect others space. As a responsible person that is about all I can do. Thing is, no matter what we do. No matter the precautions, it still won't be enough as we can't see the virus. I don't want to get Covid but that's why I think it's inevitable that I'll get it somewhere from someone. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Now, the most important thing to me is a safe work environment when we do go back to work. Getting infected from one of my students is my biggest concern.  I fully expect that just about all of us will  get the virus at some point. 

Yes, we will all get the virus eventually; and it really doesn't matter where we came into contact with it.  School bus, classroom, grocery store, hair dresser et. al.  Governments are opening up economies and schools, knowing full well that the virus is still here.  They are calculating that the rate of infection will be slower than it was in late March / early April. 

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Your empathy is palpable. Fauci has been wrong a lot? Compared to Trump and his son in law? The chances of your home being burned down is small, yet you have house insurance, I would bet. The diminished body count is due to whatever measures have been put in place and obeyed, as poor as the response has been in the US. Lets see what the outcome is when the GOP governors relax the restrictions. At last count 30 fundamentalist ministers have died when they refused to curtail services, and God knows now many parishioners. 

Empathy for who, Fauci? I'm sure he'll be fine unlike the tens of unemployed millions. Yes, let's see what the final numbers are. As for the ministers and their followers, if people in the high risk group choose to expose themselves what are you going to do? Some of these people choose to play with venomous snakes too, not something most of us would recommend.

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its an interesting discussion.  I dont have kids but nieces/nephews.  One is graduating this year.  He's likely not going to University but a close friend is a High School Principal and was very concerned over those graduates being terribly unprepared.  I think they definitely need to offer prep classes as soon as they can.  Students going to University will want to take them.

For other kids, one 16 year old I know does a lot of school work now.  Her school prepared very well and they still interact with students.  She still has papers and tests to write.  She has to do work and her parents are fully aware.  She told me that her report card was sent when this started and she cant get a lower grade but she can get a higher grade.  The gf of nephew goes to a small town school and apparently they have little to no work to do.

So it seems to be an issue from school to school or division to division.  

Would the answer be to open schools in August for a month?  Kids arent losing a year.  They were sent home about two weeks or so into the semester.  So its, what 3 months?  Im not sure there will be an appetite among parents to have kids spend July & August in classrooms.

The free online resources available for course work now is amazing, if it wasn't for the socialization schools provide I wouldn't be sending my kids back in the fall.  I've got two boys in elementary, grades 3 and 6, we have been participating in school organized on-line classes a few times per week for over a month now.  They are basically a waste of time from a learning perspective as the curriculum is mostly spoon fed drivel aimed at the idiot occupying the back seat next to the window.  Great to have virtual face-time with classmates but other than that there is little value added.

As for the transition from high-school to university, no amount of preparation could ever be enough for the cosmic leap in learning skills that requires.  You don't really know till you get there that yer not ready, basically sink or swim.....at least that's the way it used to be, not sure about now.

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The free online resources available for course work now is amazing, if it wasn't for the socialization schools provide I wouldn't be sending my kids back in the fall.  I've got two boys in elementary, grades 3 and 6, we have been participating in school organized on-line classes a few times per week for over a month now.  They are basically a waste of time from a learning perspective as the curriculum is mostly spoon fed drivel aimed at the idiot occupying the back seat next to the window.  Great to have virtual face-time with classmates but other than that there is little value added.

As for the transition from high-school to university, no amount of preparation could ever be enough for the cosmic leap in learning skills that requires.  You don't really know till you get there that yer not ready, basically sink or swim.....at least that's the way it used to be, not sure about now.

Your first paragraph - I can't even wrap my head around that.

Your second paragraph - it's mostly about what you do as an individual highschool student.  The learning opportunities are more than adequate.  The biggest adjustment would be less hands on learning at University.

16 hours ago, J5V said:

Fauci has been wrong, a lot. Jan. 21st he said there was nothing to worry about, go enjoy the Superbowl. Feb, 17th he said don't worry, the threat is "minuscule" and to worry about "the flu".  Then he turned around and predicted what? 240,000 deaths! By April he said to lock-down the country until there are no more deaths. Well, they didn't need 135,000 hospital beds but there's what, 20 or 30 million American without jobs?

Meh, take a seat. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. He can take Birx with him.

It's almost as though an expert in a scientific field can change his/her opinion on an unprecedented event as circumstances of said event change and evolve.

If being wrong is such an issue for you, why do you keep posting **** in here from self-proclaimed "experts" who have never been right?

Brazil is facing an extreme surge in COVID-19 cases after the government left the virus to spread virtually uncontrolled for weeks, all while the country's president mocked stay-at-home policies and pushed against directives from the World Health Organization.

Bolsonaro, Brazil’s President, has downplayed the coronavirus pandemic for weeks and even encouraged protesters who pushed against lockdown measures put in place by 25 out of the country's 27 governors.

Bolsonaro seems unfazed by the death toll, The New York Times reported.

"So what? Sorry, but what do you want me to do?" he said this week. "My name is Messiah, but I can't work miracles."

https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-coronavirus-no-nationwide-lockdown-results-are-grim-2020-5?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sf-bi-ti&utm_medium=social

👁‍🗨Turns out Brazilian trees are not the only things that produce nuts...

How long might it take for researchers find a vaccine for Covid 19? How does 15 years sound to you? It took 28 years to find a vaccine for smallpox. And we've never found a vaccine in the past for any Covid virus. Or we may get lucky & find one in 18 months. Scientists are skeptical. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/30/opinion/coronavirus-covid-vaccine.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yup, act like you have it not like to don’t want to get it and safe distancing becomes easier to do. Mindset change.

Dr Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, asked about Sweden’s strategy of shunning lockdowns and allowing most schools and businesses to remain open, told a virtual news conference on Wednesday: “If we are to reach a ‘new normal’, in many ways Sweden represents a future model.”

https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2020/04/30/who-says-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-could-be-a-future-model-post-lockdowns/

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Dr Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, asked about Sweden’s strategy of shunning lockdowns and allowing most schools and businesses to remain open, told a virtual news conference on Wednesday: “If we are to reach a ‘new normal’, in many ways Sweden represents a future model.”

https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2020/04/30/who-says-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-could-be-a-future-model-post-lockdowns/

Sweden had a strategy?

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not to mention how certain human beings will interpret this staged relaunch as oh back to whatever I want to do with others and back to my crappy social hygiene practices.

21 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not to mention how certain human beings will interpret this staged relaunch as oh back to whatever I want to do with others and back to my crappy social hygiene practices.

It's already happening. Even in my small town here, everyone is out on this Saturday, completely disregarding social distancing practices. I went to CT to get some lawn fertilizer stuff and it was a circus. I got in and got out but it was a heroic effort to try and avoid people. Idiots who won't get it until we look like Italy with dead bodies everywhere... 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's almost as though an expert in a scientific field can change his/her opinion on an unprecedented event as circumstances of said event change and evolve.

If being wrong is such an issue for you, why do you keep posting **** in here from self-proclaimed "experts" who have never been right?

plus you have to consider other factors too. You know, like a government down there hell bent on directing what the message shall be. 

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's already happening. Even in my small town here, everyone is out on this Saturday, completely disregarding social distancing practices. I went to CT to get some lawn fertilizer stuff and it was a circus. I got in and got out but it was a heroic effort to try and avoid people. Idiots who won't get it until we look like Italy with dead bodies everywhere... 

Yup, same here in Ontario. Wife was out yesterday and said no one was wearing masks and social distancing seems to be relaxing.

I ordered some stuff from Lowes online. Drove over there today and parked in a designated pick-up spot where they brought my order out to me. Works.

It shouldn't get like Italy. Completely different demographics and the air pollution there is horrible.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Sweden had a strategy?

Yes, the same one that Trump and Boris Johnson tried to institute: let people die. Johnson smartened up but Trump was/is incapable of such but Hannity convinced him (talk about the blind leading the blind). Sweden has three times the deaths per capita than Norway, Finland or Denmark. That should tell you all you need to know. If you start equating human life with money, where do you stop? Who you you judge too expensive to let live?

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Your first paragraph - I can't even wrap my head around that.

Your second paragraph - it's mostly about what you do as an individual highschool student.  The learning opportunities are more than adequate.  The biggest adjustment would be less hands on learning at University.

Do you work as a teacher in the public school system?

Whoever is photoshopping dildos over the guns in photos of reopen protesters is doing God’s work.           

Whoever is photoshopping dildos over the guns in photos of reopen protesters is doing God’s work.