Covid-19

JCon

From CNN's Mia Alberti 
Italy reports record number of coronavirus recoveries

For the first time, Putin has acknowledged Russia is having trouble meeting the demands for enough personal protective equipment for its health-care workers.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-brown-scary-coronavirus-1.5548593

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Potentially stunning new research related to Vitamin D deficiency and mortality from Covid, 

http://joannenova.com.au/2020/05/indonesian-study-low-vitamin-d-patients-ten-times-more-likely-to-die-of-coronavirus/

I take 3,000 I.U.s of vitamin D daily, along with zinc and vitamin C. I eat lots of fish for protein, omega 3s and B vitamins. I'm healthy and strong and plan on staying that way. I struggle with my weight so I try to get out for a walk daily. Only real problem is I'm 64 years old so I'm in the risk group. I honestly don't know how I'd fare if I caught the covid. I'm thinking I'd kick it's ass but who knows?

Covid has killed young healthy people. 

It's not just immuno-compromised folks that are in danger. There are also links to obesity increasing the risk as well. Hell I've read about senior citizens who have recovered from it (like 80+ years old) 

The bottom line is that most people are going to experience no to minor symptoms, some will get sick enough to feel like crap and it's very few relatively speaking who get to the point of being in dire circumstances... but why take that risk when we don't have to?

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

No doubt Trump will fire the authors of the report after calling it "fake news". Reality has no place in Trump's head, and he is surrounded by people willing to prostitute their honour to remain associated with power- in this case an insane would-be dictator.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Uh oh... Jason Kenney gonna try and get all of us in Southern Alberta infected.... 

Not a fan. I think it's too soon for some of what they're doing. **** is not really under control here yet. 

I found this data in a piece from the LA TIMES ...

"The study identified very few deaths among people under 40. More than 12,000 people in that age group were infected, but only 26 died. It is unclear if those people had other medical conditions, such as asthma or cancer, that may have made them more vulnerable.

The study found that the chance of dying from COVID-19 clearly increases with age.

There were no reported deaths from COVID-19 in children under 10, and other studies have suggested that children who are infected do not become very sick.

These are the COVID-19 mortality rates by age calculated by the Chinese CDC:

ages 10-19: 0.2%

ages 20-29: 0.2%

ages 30-39: 0.2%

ages 40-49: 0.4%

ages 50-59: 1.3%

ages 60-69: 3.6%

ages 70-79: 8%

80 and over: 14.8%

The overall mortality rate estimated by researchers was 2.3%, but experts caution that it is likely exaggerated due to milder cases that have gone uncounted.

As for the younger deaths, they represent what you would see if you pored over any disease data with a magnifying glass, experts say."

56 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No one is saying old people don't suffer more, but it isn't confined to them, and honestly do not all lives matter? I know you think you can place a  bubble around the vulnerable but you can't. Let's hear your brilliant plan.

No brilliant plans and yes, of course all lives matter. The virus and the damage to the economy both pose a threat to lives. We can't ignore one for the sake of the other, right?

Other than isolating them I don't know how much can be done for the most vulnerable. If you have a weak immune system due to old age or sickness maybe there isn't much more that can be done. I honestly don't know. We did seem to get caught with our pants down when it came to PPE and medical supplies like ventilators.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Curious to hear what this means... 

"Medical materials and other goods shortages caused by the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic quickly became a major issue of the pandemic. The matter of pandemic-related shortage has been studied in the past and has been documented in recent events. On the medical side, shortages of personal protective equipment such as medical masks, gloves, face shields, gear,[1] sanitising products, are also joined by potential shortage of more advanced devices such as hospital beds, ICU beds, oxygen therapy, ventilators and ECMO devices. Human resources, especially in terms of medical staff, may be drained by the overwhelming extent of the epidemic and associated workload, together with losses by contamination, isolation, sickness[1] or mortality among health care workers. Territories are differently equipped to face the pandemic. Various emergency measures have been taken to ramp up equipment levels such as purchases, while calls for donations, local 3D makers,[1][2] volunteer staffing, mandatory draft, or seizure of stocks and factory lines have also occurred. Bidding wars between different countries and states over these items are reported to be a major issue,[3][4] with price increases,[3] orders seized by local government, or cancelled by selling company to be redirected to higher bidder.[3][4] In some cases, medical workers have been ordered to not speak about these shortages of resources.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortages_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

As a followup to Trump's obsession with blaming China for the Coronavirus epidemic and 60,000 US deaths: even though his intelligence community has denied any culpability for China, Trump has gone all in on it. He has said that he has "proof" of China's guilt but he cannot show it to anyone. Except maybe to his invisible friends who have provided him with this damning evidence.

8 hours ago, J5V said:

"Medical materials and other goods shortages caused by the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic quickly became a major issue of the pandemic. The matter of pandemic-related shortage has been studied in the past and has been documented in recent events. On the medical side, shortages of personal protective equipment such as medical masks, gloves, face shields, gear,[1] sanitising products, are also joined by potential shortage of more advanced devices such as hospital beds, ICU beds, oxygen therapy, ventilators and ECMO devices. Human resources, especially in terms of medical staff, may be drained by the overwhelming extent of the epidemic and associated workload, together with losses by contamination, isolation, sickness[1] or mortality among health care workers. Territories are differently equipped to face the pandemic. Various emergency measures have been taken to ramp up equipment levels such as purchases, while calls for donations, local 3D makers,[1][2] volunteer staffing, mandatory draft, or seizure of stocks and factory lines have also occurred. Bidding wars between different countries and states over these items are reported to be a major issue,[3][4] with price increases,[3] orders seized by local government, or cancelled by selling company to be redirected to higher bidder.[3][4] In some cases, medical workers have been ordered to not speak about these shortages of resources.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortages_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

This is a pandemic! That means more people are getting sick than usual. You can't run the healthcare system at pandemic levels all the time. This is why we try and flatten the curve! 

Honestly I think you really don't understand what is going on here.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

As a followup to Trump's obsession with blaming China for the Coronavirus epidemic and 60,000 US deaths: even though his intelligence community has denied any culpability for China, Trump has gone all in on it. He has said that he has "proof" of China's guilt but he cannot show it to anyone. Except maybe to his invisible friends who have provided him with this damning evidence.

I think his proof is from reading all the goods the US has brought in from Asia.
All he can see is Made in China.

While China is far from blameless, Trump's efforts to pin all blame on them is ridiculous.  Any proper pandemic plan would note that some countries would not be forthcoming with results in the introduction.  Do we honestly think that the U.S. doesn't have a plan for a nuclear reactor meltdown that doesn't differentiate between possible reactions from Canada, Japan and Russia if they were to suffer the catastrophe?

Inside Donald Trump and Jared Kushner’s Two Months of Magical Thinking
Obsessed with impeachment and their enemies and worried about the stock market, the president and his son-in-law scapegoated HHS Secretary Alex Azar, and treated the coronavirus as mostly a political problem as it moved through the country:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/donald-trump-jared-kushners-two-months-of-magical-thinking

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Inside Donald Trump and Jared Kushner’s Two Months of Magical Thinking
Obsessed with impeachment and their enemies and worried about the stock market, the president and his son-in-law scapegoated HHS Secretary Alex Azar, and treated the coronavirus as mostly a political problem as it moved through the country:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/donald-trump-jared-kushners-two-months-of-magical-thinking

Excerpt from the above piece:

Another former West Wing official told me: "Trump is like an 11-year-old boy waiting for the fairy godmother to bring him a magic pill."

Edited by HardCoreBlue

Trump can blame China all he wants us to, but China didnt run the US reaction to the pandemic.  At the same time he said it was nothing people in my office were talking about how bad it could be so should billy from accounting be running the US pandemic response?  Cause Billy knew.  How didnt Trump?  He's a liar.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Excerpt from the above piece:

Another former West Wing official told me: "Trump is like an 11-year-old boy waiting for the fairy godmother to bring him a magic pill."

I think the official probably over-estimated Trump's mental and emotional age by 300%.