Covid-19

JCon

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone still trying to diminish covid by comparing it to the flu is trolling or clueless. 

Not to generalize everyone in the States... but have you seen how ridiculous some of these folks at the anti-lockout rallies are?  

14 hours ago, J5V said:

What we need to know in order to compare death rates between influenza and covid-19 is accurate data showing infection rates for both. I'm not sure we have any idea how many people have been exposed to the novel coronavirus.

We don't do lock-downs for normal influenza therefore I think it's safe to say that the denominator is far higher than it is for covid-19. 

Thing with covid is, the second wave could be much much worse, so any comparisons at this time should be taken with a grain of salt. 

11 hours ago, J5V said:

What will be interesting is what happens when we start easing lock-down restrictions. If we get a spike in infections do we go into another lock-down or do we tough it out?

Quite possibly the last province in Canada that should try this as they have by far the most cases of COVID-19 and the most deaths, but nonetheless it sounds like Quebec will be the first to  re-open schools and their economy.

"Quebec has moved more quickly than other provinces to reopen schools, despite having the most deaths related to COVID-19."

"Legault said Monday the decision to begin loosening coronavirus restrictions by reopening elementary schools was made, in part, because the risk of younger children developing complications from COVID-19 is very low."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-schools-questions-covid-19-roberge-1.5547693

Why Legault feels it's safe to reopen economy, even though Quebec hit hardest by COVID-19

"At the outset of the pandemic, Quebec moved quicker than most in shutting down schools and most of its economy. Now, more than a month later, the province is again distinguishing itself, by setting out a firm timeline for phasing out some of those measures.

Premier François Legault and several ministers have spent the past two days explaining how the province will reopen schools and businesses.

The broad strokes of the plan include reopening elementary schools and daycares on May 11, though children in the greater Montreal area will have to wait a week longer. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-reopens-business-schools-why-1.5548127

COVID-19_Outbreak_Cases_in_Canada_(Pop_D

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

great news for Manitoba today, for sure, but....as Mike McIntyre just tweeted "let's try to not screw this up, shall we...."  If people try to do too much, too soon, it's going to undo all the gains already made. Also still concerned about a massive resurgence of COVID in the fall/winter, which might force a reset on everything to lockdown.

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

Thing with covid is, the second wave could be much much worse, so any comparisons at this time should be taken with a grain of salt. 

That is by far the worst case scenario and the worst possible outcome of the lock-down strategy. If we end up cycling through repeated lock-downs that means that all we've really done is prolonged this thing and destroyed our economy in the process. I really hope you're wrong but fear you may be right.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

"all non-essential travel outside of Manitoba"

Tell that to the NWO cottagers on here.

They say this, but no one has the balls to actually enforce it.  Last long-weekend the population in my area doubled with the influx of cottagers coming in from Alberta, I expect the same for the Victoria long-weekend.  It's mostly a "suggestion" that many will choose to ignore.

God I can't wait to go shopping again (I won't go everywhere at once of course, there's only one place I want to go to next week) and when I do I will keep wearing my mask.

so it looks like until that border reopens again, I'll just mentally visualize the old Holiday Inn in Grand Forks (the one that was there before the Express was)

Fingers crossed that we'll be at a point where Manyfest will still go on in September (that's kind of all I have to look forward to this year)

Edited by iHeart

2 hours ago, J5V said:

That is by far the worst case scenario and the worst possible outcome of the lock-down strategy. If we end up cycling through repeated lock-downs that means that all we've really done is prolonged this thing and destroyed our economy in the process. I really hope you're wrong but fear you may be right.

Ok. So all this hand wringing and pearl clutching at the lock-down.... two questions:

what would liked to have seen happen? Before the lock-down and quarantine process that is now in place.

and the next question:

Given where we are now, how would like the government to proceed?