Covid-19

JCon

‘A bleak picture’: Political scientist lays out ‘3 new developments’ that prove the coronavirus ‘nightmare’ won’t end anytime soon

https://www.alternet.org/2020/04/a-bleak-picture-political-scientist-lays-out-3-new-developments-that-prove-the-coronavirus-nightmare-wont-end-anytime-soon/

Georgia’s Governor Risks Lives to Reopen His State—Just Not His Family’s

Brian Kemp has no problem with other families risking their health and safety by going to movie theaters or bowling alleys. His own family is another matter.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Are camp grounds closed for a period of time?  I wonder about beaches...for example will they actively prevent people from using Grand Beach.  If you're a cabin owner, can you go?  If they do re-open or allow gathering, beaches will see a lot of people with everything cancelled, I would think.

Currently Grand Beach is open... I've seen pictures on Facebook of people going.  

51 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The mortality rate for common influenza is 0.5 to 0.9%, and this is waaay higher, putting the lie to those who say its just another flu bug. 

You need to listen to more youtube experts.  It's 5% because they are not testing everyone, and people who died from other causes are being recorded as COVID 19 deaths.  There are real heroes out there, putting the true information on youtube.  Best get over there and watch some truth before its removed.

/sarcasm

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

You need to listen to more youtube experts.  It's 5% because they are not testing everyone, and people who died from other causes are being recorded as COVID 19 deaths.  There are real heroes out there, putting the true information on youtube.  Best get over there and watch some truth before its removed.

/sarcasm

Hospitals get money for every corona virus death! Hit by a bus? Covid!

honestly, whether the link/article is accurate or not, is it a really necessary thing to post? Do we really need it? I'm not suggesting burying our heads in the sand, but honestly what was the point of that "political scientist" post...other than to scare people?

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

honestly, whether the link/article is accurate or not, is it a really necessary thing to post? Do we really need it? I'm not suggesting burying our heads in the sand, but honestly what was the point of that "political scientist" post...other than to scare people?

I’ve been saying that a lot since this thing took hold. Most of us get we need to stay informed, be aware, understand the complexities and adjust our behaviour accordingly but opinion pieces that serve up constant debbies with their click bait doom and gloom headlines (often created by someone else other than the author) serve no useful purpose imo. Most of us get this is serious but writing and entitling a piece with anxiety laden text doesn’t help us. Sometimes it’s not what you are saying or writing, it’s how you are saying or writing it that’s important.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

The worldwide numbers are right around 0.6 - 0.7 %, according to CNN. 

What we need to know in order to compare death rates between influenza and covid-19 is accurate data showing infection rates for both. I'm not sure we have any idea how many people have been exposed to the novel coronavirus.

We don't do lock-downs for normal influenza therefore I think it's safe to say that the denominator is far higher than it is for covid-19. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I’ve been saying that a lot since this thing took hold. Most of us get we need to stay informed, be aware, understand the complexities and adjust our behaviour accordingly but opinion pieces that serve up constant debbies with their click bait doom and gloom headlines (often created by someone else other than the author) serve no useful purpose imo. Most of us get this is serious but writing and entitling a piece with anxiety laden text doesn’t help us. Sometimes it’s not what you are saying or writing, it’s how you are saying or writing it that’s important.

quoting this just so people read it again - perfect post. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

What we need to know in order to compare death rates between influenza and covid-19 is accurate data showing infection rates for both. I'm not sure we have any idea how many people have been exposed to the novel coronavirus.

We don't do lock-downs for normal influenza therefore I think it's safe to say that the denominator is far higher than it is for covid-19. 

We don’t know the infection rate for the flu either, there is no way to know that, because most of us stay home and fight it on our own for the most part, so where would medical professionals get the data to compile those stats? 

I think the flu should not be compared to COVID because the following do not apply to Covid, at least not yet. 

a) There are flu vaccines that are at least reasonably effective

b) Many people have learned what they need to do when cold and flu season comes around, to build up immunity and minimize contact with germs 

In all likelihood Covid will become a seasonal thing like the flu as well, but by that point we'll have vaccines and enough people will have some anti-bodies to help fight it. It's just the fact that it's new and spreads so easily that makes it a bigger deal now. 

people need to get off this stupid as **** "but teh fluuuuuueeeeee!!!!11!!" nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Anyone still trying to diminish covid by comparing it to the flu is trolling or clueless. 

The United States thanks to Trump, the Republican Senate, Mitch McConnell & Republican Red State Governors have put business ahead of lives. Guess we'll find out in 2-3 weeks what will happen. Lord help them if they're wrong.