Covid-19

JCon

My niece texted me this morning. Her family lives in Amsterdam right in the middle of that nasty European outbreak. She has a fever, a wicked headache & she's very tired. She's been like that now for 3 days & she's in bed with her husband taking care of their 2 young boys. She's worried as is her husband. So, they are stuck quarantined in their small apartment for the next week & a half at least.

I asked if she going to get tested to find out if she has Covid 19? She texted back saying the government won't allow testing because she doesn't have a cough. So, how accurate are the stats coming out of Europe & the EU? The crazy thing is from what I've read not everyone manifests tye symptoms the same way so not testing is just a way to fudge the stats. They've lived in Europe for almost 15 years. The cost of living is so expensive there.  Her husband works for 20th Century Fox in corporate sales. Her husnband is based out of Europe & also travels to Saudi Arabia & other wealthy middle east countries in that region.  I wish they'd move back to Canada. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

93305518_10158330727244400_2869055466741170176_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ZZpKKZN0fNsAX8UlWlk&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=cce9dcdbf33dd71f38912b8063cc0eaf&oe=5EBB787C

Seems most cases could have been prevented with a stricter travel ban.  If anyone has a flight tracker app set up on their cell phone take a look at the air traffic patterns in the US happening right now, it may not be back to normal yet, but the volume of traffic is amazing.  I don't know who is flitting around on airplanes during this pandemic, but I would think it's a pretty bad idea to climb on-board a narrow metal tube with a closed air circulation system full of strangers with a host of strange infections.  I guess it's all the people who consider themselves "essential".

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Those flights are not jam packed I think most days there are under 100,000 people flying in the US 

But Melania decided to fly to the New England states this weekend for fun. But that's OK because rules do not apply to Trump or his family.

16 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

96045333-E231-4969-BA5-F-27-D215095936.j

It took a bit of doing, but I managed to find an answer on one of Trump’s IQ tests.
Another achievement by the would be King down south. 
He’s got all the answers after all...

The funniest part of this meme - the person who made it needs a lesson on how to do a proper scale drawing.

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Seems most cases could have been prevented with a stricter travel ban.  If anyone has a flight tracker app set up on their cell phone take a look at the air traffic patterns in the US happening right now, it may not be back to normal yet, but the volume of traffic is amazing.  I don't know who is flitting around on airplanes during this pandemic, but I would think it's a pretty bad idea to climb on-board a narrow metal tube with a closed air circulation system full of strangers with a host of strange infections.  I guess it's all the people who consider themselves "essential".

I have Flight Radar 24 & you're right. There are flights coming into Canada & the US from China & Europe. Borders should have been closed months ago to all international air & sea travel. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Jason Kenney is preparing to throw open the doors for business in AB. even though they have  not taken the same precautions that Taiwan and Singapore had in place to combat COVID-19 months ago. 

Good luck Jason, yer gonna need it.

Kenney following Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea leads in reopening Alberta economy

EDMONTON -- Alberta’s premier says the province will follow the steps of other countries who’ve kept their economies functioning while keeping a second wave of COVID-19 cases at bay. 

Jason Kenney pointed to Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea as examples of jurisdictions from which he’d be taking inspiration. 

His plan consists of five main components: a strengthened effort to track the contacts of those who have tested positive; stronger border screening; public health order enforcement using technology like smartphone apps; and asking Albertans to wear masks in “crowded public spaces” like transit. 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/kenney-following-taiwan-singapore-south-korea-leads-in-reopening-alberta-economy-1.4898930

10 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I figure many of the flights are cargo but who knows.

I think yes but international travel is still happening. Funny how no information about that is being released. As Calgary is one of the 4 designated airports to receive international flights, I'd like to know how many passengers are flying here everyday. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

30 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Jason Kenney is preparing to throw open the doors for business in AB. even though they have  not taken the same precautions that Taiwan and Singapore had in place to combat COVID-19 months ago. 

Good luck Jason, yer gonna need it.

Kenney following Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea leads in reopening Alberta economy

EDMONTON -- Alberta’s premier says the province will follow the steps of other countries who’ve kept their economies functioning while keeping a second wave of COVID-19 cases at bay. 

Jason Kenney pointed to Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea as examples of jurisdictions from which he’d be taking inspiration. 

His plan consists of five main components: a strengthened effort to track the contacts of those who have tested positive; stronger border screening; public health order enforcement using technology like smartphone apps; and asking Albertans to wear masks in “crowded public spaces” like transit. 

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/kenney-following-taiwan-singapore-south-korea-leads-in-reopening-alberta-economy-1.4898930

The devil is in the details. Kenney wants to use smartphones to track locations. I certainly hope that gets kiboshed because that is not something I trust those asshats with. Too authoritarian. 

So far, Kenney has been following the advice of Dr Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer. His comments are just echoing most Albertans mistrust with the Liberals in Ottawa & Trudeau in particular. I don't sense he's ready to throw things wide open. If he does & it backfires then he'll be responsible & he'd either have to resign or lose the next election so it's a huge gamble politically. I don't think he's ready to take that gamble yet.

Just be thankful that things up here in Canada are not nearly so sideways as they are in the US because of Trump, Hannity, Ingram & Fox News with their movement to reopen the economy like we saw in Lansing, MI today. We'll see what happens with the morons demonstrating in Wyoming, Oregon & Washington & if they get sick. Just a vocal nutbar minority refusing to listen amped up by Conservative commentators.  The majority of Americans are staying indoors & listening to their state governments & healthy authorities. As well as with Fox News pumping the tires of these idiot demonstrators. Nothing I'd like to see more than Fox along with all their talking heads being sued into perpetuity & out of existence. 

Then there's Dr Oz on ABC. I won't get into what he said today but if you don't know then find out. On twitter just type  #DrOz

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So far, Kenney has been following the advice of Dr Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer. His comments are just echoing most Albertans mistrust with the Liberals in Ottawa & Trudeau in particular. I don't sense he's ready to throw things wide open. If he does & it backfires then he'll be responsible & he'd either have to resign or lose the next election so it's a huge gamble politically. I don't think he's ready to take that gamble yet.

Just be thankful that things up here in Canada are not nearly so sideways as they are in the US because of Trump, Hannity, Ingram & Fox News with their movement to reopen the economy like we saw in Lansing, MI today. We'll see what happens with the morons demonstrating in Wyoming, Oregon & Washington & if they get sick. Just a vocal nutbar minority refusing to listen amped up by Conservative commentators.  The majority of Americans are staying indoors & listening to their state governments & healthy authorities. As well as with Fox News pumping the tires of these idiot demonstrators. Nothing I'd like to see more than Fox along with all their talking heads being sued into perpetuity & out of existence. 

Then there's Dr Oz on ABC. I won't get into what he said today but if you don't know then find out. On twitter just type  #DrOz

Kenney had better follow Hinshaw, and Hinshaw better (I believe she will) follow Tam, who is following the W.H.O. The problem with Jason Kenney is that he actually believes he's smarter than everyone, so I'm concerned that he stops listening to the experts. As long as we're following the W.H.O. guidelines, I'm good with whatever...

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The devil is in the details. Kenney wants to use smartphones to track locations. I certainly hope that gets kiboshed because that is not something I trust those asshats with. Too authoritarian. 

Yesterday  I heard that Google and Microsoft are jointly developing a phone app that will track if you are or have been in proximity to one person or another. On one hand, it may be a good way to backtrack spreaders of infection to identify where it came from but I can foresee all manner of potentials for abuse by authorities and hackers.