Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Huge props to Trudeau again...  in my industry, some of those $2000 cheques were received within two day - impressive.

Also the small business loan program was online with banks as of yesterday plus they lightened the requirements to prove lost revenue - amazing that we can roll this out so fast and efficiently yet its taking forever to fix the payroll boondoggle.

What’s taking so long for them to adjust the CERB as they said they would.  Hoping people forget maybe.  Funny how our liberal MP was so quick to reply to an email telling people they’d be covered and how great it was but no reply since.  

I think the government has done a good job. But they did screw up CERB to a degree and are being awfully quiet about the changes they said would be made.  

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

This black/white 'lives save vs. economy' argument makes zero sense...  all rational people know that you can't just shut down a country and not expect economic consequences - economy is directly linked to overall health.

While we crow about saving all lives from covid, we are cancelling a massive number of tests and treatments...  shutting down a large chunk of the economy will mean irreparable damage to small and mid-size businesses.  The structural debt we are creating today will result in health care cuts 10 years from now...  etc etc etc 

Globally, our economic shutdown is already having a massive effect on third world economies.  The death toll world wide from this sudden massive exposure of poverty will far outweigh Covid.  

This 'no one must die from Covid' hero thing is a bit much.

Well I have said since the get go it's up to governments to prop up the people who need it. It's a team effort, but we got a lot of selfish people don't want to get on board.

56 minutes ago, J5V said:

That doesn't surprise me. Are people not hoarding food too? Everything I'm seeing online tells me that the experts expect prices to rise 4% on veggies and 6% on meat. My wife says it has already exceeded that. I get it, border closures, supply chain issues, and plexiglass installations have got to increase costs in an industry which already operates on razor-thin margins.

I don’t need to do any shopping - but if a guy who works for a grocery store says prices haven’t gone up - then they probably haven’t. 

22 minutes ago, Tracker said:

O'Reilly's comments are the natural extension of right-wing thinking where its everyone for themselves and the devil take the hindmost. The Ayn Rand thinking is that only the fittest ought to survive and the value of the individual is only whatever benefit s/he offers to those in power. The problem is that is is no longer an even playing field, if it ever was. Leaving the individual to challenge the huge corporations in court or economics is pure insanity. Sane government is supposed to mediate between all of the competing and often conflicting demands of all the parts of a society to establish a dynamic,  balanced compromise to protect the powerless from predation. When government is distorted as it is in the US or Russia or China, the individual is reduced to subservience.

I have no idea the point you're making here.  Can you elaborate here because I don't think what you're saying is what Floyd is saying. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Globally, our economic shutdown is already having a massive effect on third world economies.  The death toll world wide from this sudden massive exposure of poverty will far outweigh Covid.  

Aren’t third world economies less dependent on the global supply chain?  Mainly because they still have a significant number of subsistent farmers, and quite frankly their wants and needs are simpler than ours. 

42 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Would be really important to see graphs with cases/recovered/critical/death all laid out
Given the 2-10 days for symptoms and then another two weeks to death after that - numbers that came out of China fairly early on...
So we are still only seeing the death rate for 'no response' - it is much lower than predicted and not increasing exponentially - very good news.
The 'no response' ICU/death rate should continue for another 7-10 days
In two weeks, the national death rate for Covid should be extremely low if lockdown is working - which it seems to be...
Ontario/Quebec infection rate is under 10% while BC is down to 2-3% 
60 patients in ICU, around 150 hospitalized at peak now consistently dropping 
It seems like 20-40 more deaths in BC and then it drops completely off if Horgan did things right

It doesn't matter. As you may recall, I predicted to you that the agenda would be no normalcy, regardless, until they had a vaccine that would be mandated on us resulting in a huge windfall for Big Pharma. Will this virus mutate? Will we be throwing tens of millions of doses of vaccine in the garbage again like we did with SARS? Will Big Pharma make tens of billions like they did after the bird flu scares in 2006 and 2007? No matter.

Right on schedule Trudeau came out with the announcement yesterday.

"Canadians won’t be able to return to life as they knew it before the novel coronavirus pandemic until a vaccine is available, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday."

Normality as it was before will not come back full-on until we get a vaccine for thisThat will be a very long way off,” the prime minister said during his daily news conference on Canada’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak."

We will have to remain vigilant for at least a year,” he added in French.

Not a word about the economy or the effects this policy will have on the health of the nation as a whole. I cannot imagine what the economic devastation will be if we shut this country down for an entire year but there will not be anything normal about it. Our response to this thing, in my opinion, is absolutely insane.

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

It doesn't matter. As you may recall, I predicted to you that the agenda would be no normalcy, regardless, until they had a vaccine that would be mandated on us resulting in a huge windfall for Big Pharma. Will this virus mutate? Will we be throwing tens of millions of doses of vaccine in the garbage again like we did with SARS? Will Big Pharma make tens of billions like they did after the bird flu scares in 2006 and 2007? No matter.

Right on schedule Trudeau came out with the announcement yesterday.

"Canadians won’t be able to return to life as they knew it before the novel coronavirus pandemic until a vaccine is available, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday."

Normality as it was before will not come back full-on until we get a vaccine for thisThat will be a very long way off,” the prime minister said during his daily news conference on Canada’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak."

We will have to remain vigilant for at least a year,” he added in French.

Not a word about the economy or the effects this policy will have on the health of the nation as a whole. I cannot imagine what the economic devastation will be if we shut this country down for an entire year but there will not be anything normal about it. Our response to this thing, in my opinion, is absolutely insane.

The key phrase: “will not come back full on” until we have a vaccine.  So no, he is not saying things will stay exactly as they are now until we have a vaccine.

One possibility could be: schools and businesses reopen but social distancing and stringent sanitization & hygiene remain in place.  International borders might stay closed to non - essential travel. 

33 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have no idea the point you're making here.  Can you elaborate here because I don't think what you're saying is what Floyd is saying. 

I was referencing your comments and probably rambling on for too long. The point I was trying to make is that we cannot rust right-wing governments who champion "small government" to do the right thing in protecting us. O'Reilly's comments are not as extreme as we might think and close to the Trump/GOP mindset.

35 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Aren’t third world economies less dependent on the global supply chain?  Mainly because they still have a significant number of subsistent farmers, and quite frankly their wants and needs are simpler than ours. 

No offence, but that seems a bit of a sheltered view

We live in a 'just in time' world - that means that developed countries do not have massive inventory etc... so rely on constant supply from overseas factories.  Once that demand drops, the supply chain shuts down and lay people off (obviously without any CERB type of help)...  people make **** all producing the items we want - so they are sent home with essentially nothing to survive on - i.e. the current case in India

Even for the subsistence farmers you mention, the coming wave of price increases for staples - due to current wastage and an increased demand once we recover in the G7 - will be enough to push many of them past the brink of a survival economy.

Same as the demand for medical supplies - the west is drawing a MASSIVE amount of medical supplies currently - US blocking Germany is mild compared to the diversion from the poorest nations simply based on free market demand/prices

31 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The key phrase: “will not come back full on” until we have a vaccine.  So no, he is not saying things will stay exactly as they are now until we have a vaccine.

One possibility could be: schools and businesses reopen but social distancing and stringent sanitization & hygiene remain in place.  International borders might stay closed to non - essential travel. 

I don't see how schools can operate in this scenario, they will be a major conduit for infection as they are with all flu viruses.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

This black/white 'lives save vs. economy' argument makes zero sense...  all rational people know that you can't just shut down a country and not expect economic consequences - economy is directly linked to overall health.

While we crow about saving all lives from covid, we are cancelling a massive number of tests and treatments...  shutting down a large chunk of the economy will mean irreparable damage to small and mid-size businesses.  The structural debt we are creating today will result in health care cuts 10 years from now...  etc etc etc 

This 'no one must die from Covid' hero thing is a bit much.

As long as we're planning to restructure society it's as good a time as any to restructure the economy in order to prevent corporations from vacuuming up the majority of dollars spent within communities and transferring their profits to other jurisdictions to lessen their tax burden.   This is one practice that has gone too far and been allowed to go on too long.   The majority of  dollars spent within a community should stay within that community and not be siphoned off into the pockets of a few, this would create more vibrant communities and benefit everyone in terms of wealth creation and increased job opportunities.   

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

No offence, but that seems a bit of a sheltered view

We live in a 'just in time' world - that means that developed countries do not have massive inventory etc... so rely on constant supply from overseas factories.  Once that demand drops, the supply chain shuts down and lay people off (obviously without any CERB type of help)...  people make **** all producing the items we want - so they are sent home with essentially nothing to survive on - i.e. the current case in India

Even for the subsistence farmers you mention, the coming wave of price increases for staples - due to current wastage and an increased demand once we recover in the G7 - will be enough to push many of them past the brink of a survival economy.

Same as the demand for medical supplies - the west is drawing a MASSIVE amount of medical supplies currently - US blocking Germany is mild compared to the diversion from the poorest nations simply based on free market demand/prices

I am very much aware of all that.  I think the actual scenario is somewhere in between our two points view.  Subsistence farmers have not been able to compete with global prices for a long time.  I’ll give you just one example: the United States grows massive amounts of corn, yet 80% of that corn goes to their livestock operations and domestic economy.  Pretty much the only way working class people in third world countries can afford any North American food, is if it is donated or sold to them at a loss. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I don’t think they will keep schools closed until there is a COVID 19 vaccine available. 

I heard from a friend in Norway yesterday. Next week they are starting a phased in return to school. Elementary (under 10 yrs old there) will go back first as the schools are smaller and local. Middle and high schools require busing and travel from town to town do not opening then yet. 

‘Unforgettable’ footage of endless car lines at food banks reveals the stark COVID-19 crisis in the U.S.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-10-at-6.34.31-PM-117

Written by Eoin Higgins / Common Dreams April 10, 2020

Images and video of miles of cars lined up at food banks in San Antonio and other cities across the U.S. present a striking example of the economic effects of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, which has thrown at least 16 million Americans out of work in recent weeks and increased pressure on the distribution centers to provide key staples for a flood of needy people in the country.

“Unforgettable image: thousands of cars lined up at a San Antonio food bank today, the desperate families inside kept safely apart,” tweeted CNN senior editor Amanda Katz. “Breadline, 2020.”

On Thursday, San Antonio Food Bank creative manager Robert R. Fike posted a time-lapse video of the line of cars waiting to get supplies.

This is what I saw. Blistering heat. Folks in line since 7pm the night before. To get food. Hundreds of volunteers busting it to serve, so families could go home (probably to pass some out to their neighbors too) & get the nourishment they need.

This is the COVID-19 Crisis.

Embedded video494

“It was a rough one today,” San Antonio Food Bank president and CEO Eric Cooper told the San Antonio Express News. “We have never executed on as large of a demand as we are now.”

Reports of COVID Survivors Being Reinfec

Denis Balibouse/Reuters

The World Health Organization said Saturday that it will be investigating reports from South Korea that the coronavirus has “reactivated” in 91 patients who were thought to have recovered to determine if there were testing errors or other anomalies. The WHO guidelines state that people are considered recovered from COVID-19 when they test negative twice within 24 hours, which usually takes place around two weeks after the onset of symptoms. South Korean health officials said Friday they are carrying out their own epidemiological investigations to determine the cause, which could be down to the patients not having fully recovered or taken extra time to shed the virus. “We are closely liaising with our clinical experts and working hard to get more information on those individual cases. It is important to make sure that when samples are collected for testing on suspected patients, procedures are followed properly,” the WHO said in a statement. “We are aware that some patients are PCR positive after they clinically recover, but we need systematic collection of samples from recovered patients to better understand how long they shed live virus.” It is currently thought that COVID-19 creates antibodies that protect anyone who has tested positive from contracting the virus again.

Read it at Reuters

19 hours ago, J5V said:

That doesn't surprise me. Are people not hoarding food too? Everything I'm seeing online tells me that the experts expect prices to rise 4% on veggies and 6% on meat. My wife says it has already exceeded that. I get it, border closures, supply chain issues, and plexiglass installations have got to increase costs in an industry which already operates on razor-thin margins.

Prices have been slowly rising on veggies and meat for the past 2 years. This isnt new.. This is a thing that was happening prior to this pandemic. The only things that have raised prices due to the virus is TP Sanitizer( dont got none for the public tho) ( so stop asking) and stuff like lysol and things that ppl are literally buying way 2 much of. Are ppl hoarding food? Not as much as you think.. Produce doesnt last very long so it would be pretty dumb to buy 25 bananas. 

Most ppl come back every week or 2.. You get the odd prick who wants 25 of this or that but where i work there is now a limit on how much u can buy.. U can't grab 25 cans of chicken soup no more.

Your wife must shop at some American based place like Walmart tho. Good luck to her and everyone else who is brave enough to go in to these coronavirus infested stores. I personally dread working between 7 and 8am as the store i work at is definitely pushing the limits of ppl allowed in. 

Here's a tip.. Store sell seeds.. So buy a bag of carrot seeds for 99 cents.. Plant them.. Water them take care of them and in a few months u will have 100 carrots for about 2 bucks. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

‘Unforgettable’ footage of endless car lines at food banks reveals the stark COVID-19 crisis in the U.S.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-10-at-6.34.31-PM-117

Written by Eoin Higgins / Common Dreams April 10, 2020

Images and video of miles of cars lined up at food banks in San Antonio and other cities across the U.S. present a striking example of the economic effects of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, which has thrown at least 16 million Americans out of work in recent weeks and increased pressure on the distribution centers to provide key staples for a flood of needy people in the country.

“Unforgettable image: thousands of cars lined up at a San Antonio food bank today, the desperate families inside kept safely apart,” tweeted CNN senior editor Amanda Katz. “Breadline, 2020.”

On Thursday, San Antonio Food Bank creative manager Robert R. Fike posted a time-lapse video of the line of cars waiting to get supplies.

This is what I saw. Blistering heat. Folks in line since 7pm the night before. To get food. Hundreds of volunteers busting it to serve, so families could go home (probably to pass some out to their neighbors too) & get the nourishment they need.

This is the COVID-19 Crisis.

Embedded video494

“It was a rough one today,” San Antonio Food Bank president and CEO Eric Cooper told the San Antonio Express News. “We have never executed on as large of a demand as we are now.”

There may be a shortage of available food but they still have plenty of guns.  I could see a new reality TV show in the making, "Hunting for Food" takes on a different meaning. ☺️

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne