Covid-19

JCon

10 minutes ago, do or die said:

The rollout of funds in the US and the eventual re-opening itself ...is going to be a real bad reality show.

I have a buddy with a woodcutting and dog sledding company in Alaska... he's tried twice for their small business emergency funding in the past couple weeks - application goes in and then just no response.  Like no confirmation or follow-up or anything...  he doesn't believe he will see any money ever.

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well where is all this starvation and poverty? Or are you being alarmist and buying the hype and panic being spread by certain circles?

Ever read Mel Hertig's book, The Truth About Canada"? A few excerpts ...

“In 1989, the House of Commons passed a unanimous resolution, claiming that they would end child poverty by the year 2000. This was considered a major breakthrough. Nineteen years on, and where are we? Child poverty today is exactly the same as when they passed the resolution. So what happened? The GDP has more than doubled since that resolution. That’s about $900 billion.

“With child poverty still a problem, you would think our social spending would be at least on par with other European countries, but no. Of the 30 OECD countries, we’re 25th in social spending. There are developed countries that have a quarter of the child poverty that we do, and they’re still more competitive in business than us. Their taxes are higher, and they’re still ahead of us. Where did all of our money go?

“Beginning with the Mulroney government, there’s been a huge downgrading in the role government plays in combating poverty. Right now, the level of welfare in Canada is far below the level it was back in 1980. Meanwhile our largest corporations have charted all-time record profits for four consecutive years. Of the 30 OECD countries, we rank 21st in citizen taxes, while we’re 27th in corporate taxes. So it’s the people who bear the high cost of poverty and taxation. That’s no way to run a country.”

You do realize there was poverty and starvation IN CANADA before this covid-19, right? Do you somehow think that has improved now that we've tanked our economy?

Detroit Hospital Struggling to Manage Coronavirus Runs Out of Body Bags, Has Patients ‘Lying Everywhere’

Christian Hartmann/Reuters

Medical workers at a Detroit hospital have described being at a breaking point during the coronavirus pandemic as they manage a flood of patients and scramble for resources. About five patients have died from the virus during each 12-hour shift at Detroit Medical Center’s Sinai-Grace and there aren’t always enough body bags or refrigerators for them, ER nurse Jeff Eichenlaub told The Detroit News. Patients are dying in hallways, bodies are even being stored in the sleep lab because all the morgues and refrigerated storage areas are full, and staff are sometimes too busy to let relatives know that a family member has died, he said. “Walking into work last Thursday, it was a war zone, there were patients lying everywhere,” he said. Another ER worker told the newspaper they were getting 110 to 120 coronavirus patients daily and didn’t have enough staff to deal with them.

Hospital officials had a conference call with the CDC last week due to concerns that Sinai-Grace had the highest COVID-19 mortality rate among hospitals in the nation, staff were told Wednesday. Detroit has at least 6,083 confirmed coronavirus cases and 272 deaths. A DMC spokesman said there were a large number of nursing homes in the area surrounding the hospital and the spread of coronavirus among the elderly “places even more pressure on hospital resources as those patients are sicker and in many cases require ICU-level of care.”

21 minutes ago, J5V said:

Ever read Mel Hertig's book, The Truth About Canada"? A few excerpts ...

“In 1989, the House of Commons passed a unanimous resolution, claiming that they would end child poverty by the year 2000. This was considered a major breakthrough. Nineteen years on, and where are we? Child poverty today is exactly the same as when they passed the resolution. So what happened? The GDP has more than doubled since that resolution. That’s about $900 billion.

“With child poverty still a problem, you would think our social spending would be at least on par with other European countries, but no. Of the 30 OECD countries, we’re 25th in social spending. There are developed countries that have a quarter of the child poverty that we do, and they’re still more competitive in business than us. Their taxes are higher, and they’re still ahead of us. Where did all of our money go?

“Beginning with the Mulroney government, there’s been a huge downgrading in the role government plays in combating poverty. Right now, the level of welfare in Canada is far below the level it was back in 1980. Meanwhile our largest corporations have charted all-time record profits for four consecutive years. Of the 30 OECD countries, we rank 21st in citizen taxes, while we’re 27th in corporate taxes. So it’s the people who bear the high cost of poverty and taxation. That’s no way to run a country.”

You do realize there was poverty and starvation IN CANADA before this covid-19, right? Do you somehow think that has improved now that we've tanked our economy?

oh so you're just talking about the baseline rate huh, silly me, I thought you were expecting that sort of thing to sky rocket with this tanked economy. Go on and show me the numbers. Otherwise you're just being alarmist. 

I don't buy for a second you give a **** about poverty and starvation because if you did you wouldn't be going on and on about how important the economy is. People who focus on the economy tend to be the most selfish types and they only want to get theirs and **** everyone else. 

I mean you're fine letting more people die just so the economy is strong.  

6 more. 230 in total. 

4 deaths. 5 in ICU. 

92 recoveries. 

Manitoba. 16220 in total tested. 

If you assume those numbers stay similar if u tested the entire province.. 22 or so 25000 confirmed with maybe 100 deaths. Manitoba not contributing much to the feds guesses. 

Edited by Goalie

Unfortunately plenty of disbelievers walking among us who can compromise containment efforts, sitting in a parking lot yesterday I witnessed an employee in hazmat suit including  full ventilator coming out of a BC govt. liquor store after closing, obviously a member of the cleaning crew.  This yahoo gets out of a pickup truck and goes out of his way to to intercept the guy on his way to the dumpster and engages him in conversation with lots of emphatic arm waving for a few of minutes, caps it off by high-fiving the guys rubber glove than proceeds across the parking lot straight into the grocery store that I had just exited.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Unfortunately plenty of disbelievers walking among us who can compromise containment efforts, sitting in a parking lot yesterday I witnessed an employee in hazmat suit including  full ventilator coming out of a BC govt. liquor store after closing, obviously a member of the cleaning crew.  This yahoo gets out of a pickup truck and goes out of his way to to intercept the guy on his way to the dumpster and engages him in conversation with lots of emphatic arm waving for a few of minutes, caps it off by high-fiving the guys rubber glove than proceeds across the parking lot straight into the grocery store that I had just exited.

BC Quebec Ontario Alberta are the big population areas here. No surprise to learn more dumb ppl. 

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Respirator. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

oh so you're just talking about the baseline rate huh, silly me, I thought you were expecting that sort of thing to sky rocket with this tanked economy. Go on and show me the numbers. Otherwise you're just being alarmist. 

I don't buy for a second you give a **** about poverty and starvation because if you did you wouldn't be going on and on about how important the economy is. People who focus on the economy tend to be the most selfish types and they only want to get theirs and **** everyone else. 

Attacking me personally doesn't do anything for your argument, which apparently is that there is no poverty or starvation and it isn't going to get worse now that we've tanked our economy. Good luck with that, rainbows and unicorns in your world. 

https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/03/31/food-prices-set-to-rise-amid-covid-19-crisis.html

I just asked my wife if she's noticed prices have spiked for groceries. She says oh for sure! I asked her how much, what percentage. She responded easily 10% which exceeds the predictions quoted by the experts. 

7 minutes ago, J5V said:

Attacking me personally doesn't do anything for your argument, which apparently is that there is no poverty or starvation and it isn't going to get worse now that we've tanked our economy. Good luck with that, rainbows and unicorns in your world. 

https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/03/31/food-prices-set-to-rise-amid-covid-19-crisis.html

I just asked my wife if she's noticed prices have spiked for groceries. She says oh for sure! I asked her how much, what percentage. She responded easily 10% which exceeds the predictions quoted by the experts. 

I work for a grocery store. Prices are raised on toilet paper and thats about it. The reason? Ppl are ******* hoarding

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This black/white 'lives save vs. economy' argument makes zero sense...  all rational people know that you can't just shut down a country and not expect economic consequences - economy is directly linked to overall health.

While we crow about saving all lives from covid, we are cancelling a massive number of tests and treatments...  shutting down a large chunk of the economy will mean irreparable damage to small and mid-size businesses.  The structural debt we are creating today will result in health care cuts 10 years from now...  etc etc etc 

Globally, our economic shutdown is already having a massive effect on third world economies.  The death toll world wide from this sudden massive exposure of poverty will far outweigh Covid.  

This 'no one must die from Covid' hero thing is a bit much.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I work for a grocery store. Prices are raised on toilet paper and thats about it. The reason? Ppl are ******* hoarding

That doesn't surprise me. Are people not hoarding food too? Everything I'm seeing online tells me that the experts expect prices to rise 4% on veggies and 6% on meat. My wife says it has already exceeded that. I get it, border closures, supply chain issues, and plexiglass installations have got to increase costs in an industry which already operates on razor-thin margins.

Would be really important to see graphs with cases/recovered/critical/death all laid out

Given the 2-10 days for symptoms and then another two weeks to death after that - numbers that came out of China fairly early on...

So we are still only seeing the death rate for 'no response' - it is much lower than predicted and not increasing exponentially - very good news.

The 'no response' ICU/death rate should continue for another 7-10 days

In two weeks, the national death rate for Covid should be extremely low if lockdown is working - which it seems to be...

Ontario/Quebec infection rate is under 10% while BC is down to 2-3% 

60 patients in ICU, around 150 hospitalized at peak now consistently dropping 

It seems like 20-40 more deaths in BC and then it drops completely off if Horgan did things right

31 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This 'no one must die from Covid' hero thing is a bit much.

So, you're saying because you own a business that your life is worth more than mine or anyone else here? That anyone young, old, sick or immunocompromised is on their last legs anyway like Bill O'Reilly said so why save them? That seems to be the common theme of your argument with every post. The almighty dollar vs lives. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, you're saying because you own a business that your life is worth more than mine or anyone else here? That anyone young, old, sick or immunocompromised is on their last legs anyway like Bill O'Reilly said so why save them? That seems to be the common theme of your argument with every post. The almighty dollar vs lives. 

O'Reilly's comments are the natural extension of right-wing thinking where its everyone for themselves and the devil take the hindmost. The Ayn Rand thinking is that only the fittest ought to survive and the value of the individual is only whatever benefit s/he offers to those in power. The problem is that is is no longer an even playing field, if it ever was. Leaving the individual to challenge the huge corporations in court or economics is pure insanity. Sane government is supposed to mediate between all of the competing and often conflicting demands of all the parts of a society to establish a dynamic,  balanced compromise to protect the powerless from predation. When government is distorted as it is in the US or Russia or China, the individual is reduced to subservience.