Covid-19

JCon

“The remedy should not be more harmful than the disease itself.”

President Donald Trump’s promotion of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19 has drawn criticism from medical experts who say much more work needs to be done before anyone can say it’s effective at stopping the disease.

And now one hospital in France has stopped its testing of hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19 patients over worries that the drug poses a “toxic risk” to people’s hearts when taken in combination with other drugs.

French newspaper Nice Matin reports that Nice University Hospital “immediately stopped” its use of hydroxychloroquine in patients who exhibit “major risks” of suffering heart failure due to the drug.

“When hydroxychloroquine is given on its own, the cardiac risk is very low,” explained Émile Ferrari, the chief of the hospital’s cardiology department. “On the other hand, the antibiotic (azithromycin) which is systematically prescribed in combination with hydroxychloroquine in the anti-Covid protocol also favors these anomalies. The cardiological risk is then potentiated… if there are other associated drugs which have the same undesirable effect.”

Ferrari concluded that doctors should be careful and not view hydroxychloroquine as a miracle cure.

“It is true that Covid-19 kills, but the remedy should not be more harmful than the disease itself,” he said.

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Then you've got people cheating.  I know a guy who has two FB accounts.  His personal account where he is bragging about how easy it was to apply for CERB and he cant wait for the cheque to buy a case of booze.  His "professional" fb is his online collectibles business with a big heading of "we are open".  

You should report him.  Or share a link or screenshot and one of us will do it. 

If anyone missed it, Jason Kenney held a big "fireside chat" type presser last night for AB. Their modelling shows the peak in mid May. Expect to loosen restrictions a bit shortly after that. Spent most of the time talking about how Notley ran AB into the ground (oy.....) and how it's going to take a long time to dig out from all this. 

Still... Gave me hope for being able to get outside and do stuff this summer. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well here is my question... if the government is going to pay for a student to be hired, what's to stop a company such as mine from firing me and hiring a student to do the job? 

Also what not many jobs are hiring regardless. It’s puts younger people at risks since they have to go to work, assuming they can’t work from home,  most applications are already closed, and leaves the mature student (over 30) out to dry.  I really don’t understand this move 

Trump, Citing Hannity’s Show, Claims Things Are ‘Great’ With Ventilators

CABLE NEWS PRESIDENCY

President Donald Trump told Fox News host and unofficial presidential adviser Sean Hannity on Tuesday night that he had learned partly from the prime-time star’s show just how “great” things are with ventilators and vital medical supplies during the coronavirus pandemic. Insisting that the nation is close to the peak of coronavirus cases, Trump said he “was right” that states wouldn’t need nearly as many beds and ventilators as originally thought.

“In fact, we just saw your show and a couple of other people just reported back to me that everyone is in great shape from the standpoint of ventilators which are very hard because they were expensive and big and they are very high tech,” Trump declared. “But they are very hard to get and we are building thousands of them, and we have that in good shape.”

As COVID-19 cases began to spike in New York and other states, governors began sounding the alarm on the need for ventilators and masks as hospitals began experiencing shortages. At one point, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said his state would need at least 30,000 ventilators from the federal government or other sources. Recently, California loaned 500 ventilators to the national stockpile in an effort to help harder hit states like New York, prompting Cuomo to express thanks as his state is still “beyond capacity.” 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

spoken by the most misinformed here. 

It is OK to question what you are told, but if it's not backed up with sound logic you're not any more informed, just being a contrarian. 

Not to mention the fact of how the word 'media' is used in such a general nebulous way, overlooking and/or ignoring the complexities of how media works.

More from the "misinformed" ...

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2020/april/06/end-the-shutdown-it-s-time-for-resurrection/

"On March 24th, the CDC issued an alert stating that doctors should classify “probable COVID-19” or “likely COVID-19” as Covid-19 deaths. Perhaps that explains the seeming drop-off of pneumonia deaths this year and the simultaneous spike in Covid-19 deaths as some researchers have reported.

The BBC reported last week that, “At present in the US, any death of a Covid-19 patient, no matter what the physician believes to be the direct cause, is counted for public reporting as a Covid-19 death.”

Does that sound like a scientifically sound way of determining how deadly Covid-19 really is?

What is most dangerous is that although this virus will eventually disappear, the assault on our civil liberties is not likely to be reversed. From this point on, whenever local officials, county officials, state governors, or federal bureaucrats decide there is sufficient reason to suspend the Constitution they will not hesitate to do so. Anyone who challenges the suspension of the Constitution “for our own good” will be labeled “unpatriotic” and perhaps even reported to the authorities. We have already seen hotlines springing up across the country for Americans to report other Americans who dare venture outside to enjoy the sun and build up their vitamin D protection against the coronavirus"

23 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not to mention the fact of how the word 'media' is used in such a general nebulous way, overlooking and/or ignoring the complexities of how media works.

Don't even get me started...... every time I see some kind of "meme" online talking about "shut off the media and watch how quickly things get better", I want to punch a baby. Everyone knows covering your ears, going "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" means everything is better now...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Don't even get me started...... every time I see some kind of "meme" online talking about "shut off the media and watch how quickly things get better", I want to punch a baby. Everyone knows covering your ears, going "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" means everything is better now...

Please don't punch a baby unless it uses the word media inappropriately then by all means. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

You should report him.  Or share a link or screenshot and one of us will do it. 

I was wondering, is there a hotline for that?  I see he has now actually posted that the government is "forcing" him to declare his business a "Church" and none of his items are for sale, they are now being given away for a "suitable donation".  Uh huh. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2020/april/06/end-the-shutdown-it-s-time-for-resurrection/

"On March 24th, the CDC issued an alert stating that doctors should classify “probable COVID-19” or “likely COVID-19” as Covid-19 deaths. Perhaps that explains the seeming drop-off of pneumonia deaths this year and the simultaneous spike in Covid-19 deaths as some researchers have reported.

The BBC reported last week that, “At present in the US, any death of a Covid-19 patient, no matter what the physician believes to be the direct cause, is counted for public reporting as a Covid-19 death.”

Does that sound like a scientifically sound way of determining how deadly Covid-19 really is?

What is most dangerous is that although this virus will eventually disappear, the assault on our civil liberties is not likely to be reversed. From this point on, whenever local officials, county officials, state governors, or federal bureaucrats decide there is sufficient reason to suspend the Constitution they will not hesitate to do so. Anyone who challenges the suspension of the Constitution “for our own good” will be labeled “unpatriotic” and perhaps even reported to the authorities. We have already seen hotlines springing up across the country for Americans to report other Americans who dare venture outside to enjoy the sun and build up their vitamin D protection against the coronavirus"

Weird because I read a story that claimed the opposite.  For eample, in New York, their spike in "dead at home" cases during the pandemic which werent being counted as COVID because they werent testing dead bodies.

But I guess there are stories that can support any position, no matter how untrue.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

It's extremely complicated unfortunately. I heard an example from a physician who said he had a patient who technically died of a heart attack. However, it was due to the Covid virus. The extra stress on the body, anxiety from slowly getting worse etc led to a heart attack. So while it's not Covid that killed him directly, it was still very much involved in his death...so where does he land in the stats? Should he be a covid death? I don't know....but it's not just as black and white as some politicians/media etc (on both sides) make it out to be.

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's extremely complicated unfortunately. I heard an example from a physician who said he had a patient who technically died of a heart attack. However, it was due to the Covid virus. The extra stress on the body, anxiety from slowly getting worse etc led to a heart attack. So while it's not Covid that killed him directly, it was still very much involved in his death...so where does he land in the stats? Should he be a covid death? I don't know....but it's not just as black and white as some politicians/media etc (on both sides) make it out to be.

Yeah this is a tough one...  was looking at another chart about how the covid death rate for compromised health patients over 70 is about the same as it would be for the whole year - just condensed.  Definitely doesn't diminish the issue but I would like to see healthy v. compromised death rates charted - would be much better to target resources.

I think one of the first things we should have done is address the care home issue - they don't have space to isolate until people die and free up rooms...  even pulling up ATCO trailers for temporary additional space probably reduces the death rate significantly...  It spreads 10x faster in care homes than in the general public.

Almost half of the deaths are linked to care homes - should we not have most of our resources trying to contain that?

31 minutes ago, Stretch said:

#Manitoba151 is catchier anyway

I saw someone....can't remember if it was Kives or Colin Fast.....saying that they should do a whole Manitoba 151: Higher Proof thing for next year...ha ha. I was super stoked for Bachman Cummings at the Leg this summer, but it is what it is. It'll be just as sweet next year if those ol' boys can stay healthy...

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Fantastic hyperbole. I guess that's Ron Paul's last ditch attempt to remain relevant anymore - fear-monger. It's not like he has anything else worth bringing to the table.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I predicted a mid May scenario for beginning to normalize.  At times that seemed crazy.  But there is a lot of talk of “August” for sports and I think mid May as a beginning to loosen period gives you a clear glide path towards July/August 

I would be surprised if things loosened by mid May, I think there are too many idiots running around thinking this is a conspiracy or what not. Case in point, my cousins from Saskatchewan...

3 hours ago, J5V said:

- a panicked, misinformed, mob in fight-or-flight mode willing to conform and swallow without question whatever is fed to them.

Blah, blah, blah.

What you’re spewing is no different than what you accuse the media and this forum of doing.

I don’t see any calm, informed, factual information coming from the information you provided.

What you offer is YOUR opinion, based on information related to shape your mind..and you don’t, or won’t see it, never mind admit it...but you, yourself swallowed  it.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I predicted a mid May scenario for beginning to normalize.  At times that seemed crazy.  But there is a lot of talk of “August” for sports and I think mid May as a beginning to loosen period gives you a clear glide path towards July/August 

Angus Reid would have been lit up on this board for suggesting that hospital admissions will drop and fatality rates will end up below 1% ha

I thought we were shutting down for a minimum of six months... ha

Edited by Floyd