Covid-19

JCon

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You system leeching commie bastard

The auto-dialer is quite a weapon. I imagine you could torment the hell out of someone with that thing. Imagine if you could spoof your phone number so it showed a different one each time. Bwahahaha!

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I felt like Scheer ended up just repeating soundbites during the election and was nominated based on the fact that he was a harmless Harper with dimples.  It was mostly the abortion non-committal answers that were actually answers...

As for privatized health care?  I feel like its been pretty open that Cons want a more privatized health care system - watching Italy (public) and Spain (hybrid) and US (private) will soon tell us how this all works compared to Canada...

So wasn’t that from 2003/4 when he first spoke out on it? I also believe he did speak out and said he has no plans to change the law regarding it. As for the trump talking points, was there anything sheer said specifically about trump you disagree or is that more of a broad paintbrush you put on all conservatives? 

18 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So wasn’t that from 2003/4 when he first spoke out on it? I also believe he did speak out and said he has no plans to change the law regarding it. As for the trump talking points, was there anything sheer said specifically about trump you disagree or is that more of a broad paintbrush you put on all conservatives? 

Scheer was still non-committal through the election; when questioned on specific ideologies, he wouldn't commit one way or the other and by doing so, betrayed his actual ideals.  He's not the only politician to do this - but there was something unseemly.  There's a vitriolic dogmatic hypocrisy in that party now that is too close to the American tea party.

And no I'm really just against the neocon school of conservatism that spawned out of the Tom Flanagan wave of bullshit.  It is on full display in Alberta now with Kenney being an attack dog against Trudeau a month ago and politely quiet about Trump's nationalist moves.  At least Doug Ford is acting like he cares about Ontario more than America...  

As for cons, I would consider their positions if Ambrose was leader... beyond that I don't see a lot of inspiration.

Edited by Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

As a small business owner of two corporations, you are completely full of it in terms of CERB... its already altered and rolled out faster than any govt program I've ever heard of

So if your GF is a legit small business - $50K salary - you understand... if she sells one sewing machine a month, then she can go on EI like the rest of the country...  either way its a win

Scheer would have been paralyzed.  No doubt - we'd be hearing platitudes and talking points and kissing ass to Trump

That’s not true. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Weird how service is slower during a pandemic when the entire country is shutdown...

I called CRA today and had my small business issue resolved within two hours.

Are you suggesting that everyone else’s experiences are untrue?  

you’re wrong on the facts. And your embracing of Trudeau is totally your business but you can’t say what Scheer would or wouldn’t do when you have no idea.  Whataboutism sucks either way.   Trudeau either lied or was mistaken when he said what CERB would be vs what it is.  In fact I hve in writing from our MP exactly what Trudeau said and it’s not accurate.  

Hence why there are several news articles stating exactly what I said was an issue.  You’re just wrong.  Now hopefully they do correct it and correct it quickly.  But if you don’t want someone’s blind love for trump to cloud facts you can’t do the same for empty suit JT. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Are you suggesting that everyone else’s experiences are untrue?  

you’re wrong on the facts. And your embracing of Trudeau is totally your business but you can’t say what Scheer would or wouldn’t do when you have no idea.  Whataboutism sucks either way.   Trudeau either lied or was mistaken when he said what CERB would be vs what it is.  In fact I hve in writing from our MP exactly what Trudeau said and it’s not accurate.  

Hence why there are several news articles stating exactly what I said was an issue.  You’re just wrong.  Now hopefully they do correct it and correct it quickly.  But if you don’t want someone’s blind love for trump to cloud facts you can’t do the same for empty suit JT. 

I said I called CRA today and got through... you added all the rest.  Have fun with that.

You scold me for denigrating Scheer and then call Trudeau an empty suit... ha - to each his own.

If you hate Trudeau, I have a simple solution - protest the CERB and find your own solution.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't know about the provincial process, but I heard that since the federal payment program opened, they've been processing 1,000 applications per minute (!!!) which I can't even wrap my head around...

Think of it in something you’re aware of...like how fast J5V pumps out those posts...😏😄

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I said I called CRA today and got through... you added all the rest.  Have fun with that.

You scold me for denigrating Scheer and then call Trudeau an empty suit... ha - to each his own.

If you hate Trudeau, I have a simple solution - protest the CERB and find your own solution.

You took exception to someone else expressing they had issues.  I assume you’re telling the truth when you said you had a posit live experience just as I trust the negative experience too (cause I’ve heard it directly from people).  

Why should I hve to find an alternative to the CERB?  I don’t even understand that.  Whether Trudeau sucks or not he’s still my PM.  He’s the one that mischaracterized CERB (and the numerous news stories over the last 24 hours pointing that out are proof).  

I don’t hate Trudeau. I don’t hate anyone.  But facts are facts.  He was disingenuous. CERB is not working for many of the people it was specifically stated to be for. Maybe you’re not aware of it because it doesn’t impact you or people close to you and that’s ok.  I’m expressing the negative aspect of it which is true.  

Also I was very critical of Scheer.  It’s not about criticism. It’s about you comparing something that hasn’t happened to something that is.  It’s Irrelevant.  I can rip JT based on what he is and what he’s doing.  Scheer ain’t the PM.  And thank goodness for that btw ;) 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You took exception to someone else expressing they had issues.  I assume you’re telling the truth when you said you had a posit live experience just as I trust the negative experience too (cause I’ve heard it directly from people).  

Why should I hve to find an alternative to the CERB?  I don’t even understand that.  Whether Trudeau sucks or not he’s still my PM.  He’s the one that mischaracterized CERB (and the numerous news stories over the last 24 hours pointing that out are proof).  

I don’t hate Trudeau. I don’t hate anyone.  But facts are facts.  He was disingenuous. CERB is not working for many of the people it was specifically stated to be for. Maybe you’re not aware of it because it doesn’t impact you or people close to you and that’s ok.  I’m expressing the negative aspect of it which is true.  

Also I was very critical of Scheer.  It’s not about criticism. It’s about you comparing something that hasn’t happened to something that is.  It’s Irrelevant.  I can rip JT based on what he is and what he’s doing.  Scheer ain’t the PM.  And thank goodness for that btw ;) 

I took exception with someone trying for one day to get access to a program that didn’t exist a week ago 

I’m honestly curious what you don’t like about Cerb - I haven’t found anything bad yet...?

Any new initiative, private or public that is rolled out, will inevitably have flaws and misconceptions, and the bigger and more rushed it is, the greater the probability, almost certainty this will happen. Remember, some of the people who are tasked with this CERB are also likely to be stricken by the infection and this will make the process even slower and lumpier. It will be imperfect, guaranteed, and the Albert experience shows this. Lets not start warming up the tar just yet. This is little comfort to those affected, though.

An 86-year-old Louisiana woman and three of her sons who all tested positive for the coronavirus have died, their relatives confirmed. Antoinette Franklin, a lifelong New Orleans resident, and her sons, Herman Franklin Jr., 71, Anthony Franklin Sr., 58, and Timothy Franklin, 61, who are African American, all died within a 10-day period from March 20 to March 30. In Louisiana, 70.5 percent of those who have died from the virus are black, even though they account for only a third of the population. “My uncle passed, my grandmother passed, my dad passed, then my other uncle passed,” Anthony Franklin said. “It’s literally like seven to eight days apart. It’s horrific.” As of Tuesday, Louisiana had more than 16,284 cases of the coronavirus and 582 dead.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

An 86-year-old Louisiana woman and three of her sons who all tested positive for the coronavirus have died, their relatives confirmed. Antoinette Franklin, a lifelong New Orleans resident, and her sons, Herman Franklin Jr., 71, Anthony Franklin Sr., 58, and Timothy Franklin, 61, who are African American, all died within a 10-day period from March 20 to March 30. In Louisiana, 70.5 percent of those who have died from the virus are black, even though they account for only a third of the population. “My uncle passed, my grandmother passed, my dad passed, then my other uncle passed,” Anthony Franklin said. “It’s literally like seven to eight days apart. It’s horrific.” As of Tuesday, Louisiana had more than 16,284 cases of the coronavirus and 582 dead.

The poor in America are going to be hit hard especially in cities - this is a population density dependent virus...  that was Italy’s problem and now think about the fact that they had public health care - not good

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I took exception with someone trying for one day to get access to a program that didn’t exist a week ago 

I’m honestly curious what you don’t like about Cerb - I haven’t found anything bad yet...?

It was specifically stated it would be there as a support for anyone negatively impacted by the pandemic.  Self employed were specifically mentioned.  

We actually emailed our MP (a liberal) to verify and he specifically said it would be there for people who had their income reduced by the pandemic.  

Then it launched it was not for people with reduced income.  It was for people with no income.  I saw a business write on social media that they were trying to support their workers by giving everyone one or two shifts a week.  But they screwed them by doing that.  Someone going from full time employment to one or two shifts has been drastically negatively impacted but because they make at least $1 they don’t qualify for CERB.  

And you specifically cannot decline work to make yourself qualify.   And no one wants to decline work anyway because you don’t to risk losing your job or losing clients.   

Trudeau said all the right things.  He sold CERB as a simple solution for anyone and everyone impacted.  That was untrue.  

And now they are suggesting they will fix it and allow reduced income earners to apply.  Because of all the push back from people wanting the government to deliver what they said they’d deliver in the first place.  

Thats my problem with it.  I expect it be fixed.  Because of outrage. And media coverage.  (And btw, pressure from the opposition parties).  But the program should have been what they promised it would be.  Which I thought I was awesome.  I thought wow, Trudeau is hitting a home run.  Turns out it was a bunt. 

9 hours ago, Tracker said:

Any new initiative, private or public that is rolled out, will inevitably have flaws and misconceptions, and the bigger and more rushed it is, the greater the probability, almost certainty this will happen. Remember, some of the people who are tasked with this CERB are also likely to be stricken by the infection and this will make the process even slower and lumpier. It will be imperfect, guaranteed, and the Albert experience shows this. Lets not start warming up the tar just yet. This is little comfort to those affected, though.

I doubt the people working on the implementation are dropping due to the virus.  And most of what Ive heard about the ease of applying has been positive.  Its not the execution so much as the Prime Minister saying one thing and reality being another.  Also, as I said, we specifically asked our MP who was very specific in his response that CERB was for anyone negatively impacted and if you had reduced income but still had some income, it was for you.  Imagine his surprise when it wasnt.

Couple more examples.  My sister is 20, just got her own apt last year.  Working full time at a juice place.  The business has obviously been hit with reduced revenue so they are giving everyone 1-2 shifts per week.  By doing that, she doesnt qualify for CERB but still cant pay her rent.

A friend is a gig worker, free lance writer.  He actually suffered when a couple of outstanding invoices have gone unpaid because the people who hired him were hit by this, so he's fine with that.  What can he do.  He actually does qualify for CERB right now, but he has some usual work that is coming up.  You're not supposed to decline work but if he doesnt, he might take a gig for, say $300 and then not qualify anymore.

One thing, this shows the importance of having some savings.  But we know that anyway.  Most people cant.  This is an extenuating situation.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Interesting take: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-ceo-who-built-cisco-into-a-powerhouse-has-a-sobering-coronavirus-diagnosis-at-least-nine-months-of-economic-pain-2020-04-07

It's a bit mind-boggling how much debt we carry collectively as a society. And it's painful to think how much worse the situation could be with a deadlier pathogen running amok.

What bothers me with all these people not getting paid, claiming EI, and borrowing money to cover expenses - where is all the money going that was paying their salaries?

I have a feeling it's making its way to the top somehow - and it will take a bloody long time (if ever), until it trickles down again.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has pulled from its website some weird guidance telling doctors how to prescribe hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine—the anti-malaria drugs recommended by President Trump to treat the coronavirus. Reuters reports that, initially, the CDC site published dosing information for the two drugs based on anecdotal evidence rather than peer-reviewed science. Medical experts expressed their shock at the language, with Lynn Goldman, dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University, reportedly saying: “Why would CDC be publishing anecdotes ... That doesn’t make sense. This is very unusual.” But the CDC website no longer includes that information, and now reads: “There are no drugs or other therapeutics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat COVID-19.” It adds that “Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are under investigation in clinical trials” for use on coronavirus patients

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has pulled from its website some weird guidance telling doctors how to prescribe hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine—the anti-malaria drugs recommended by President Trump to treat the coronavirus. Reuters reports that, initially, the CDC site published dosing information for the two drugs based on anecdotal evidence rather than peer-reviewed science. Medical experts expressed their shock at the language, with Lynn Goldman, dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University, reportedly saying: “Why would CDC be publishing anecdotes ... That doesn’t make sense. This is very unusual.” But the CDC website no longer includes that information, and now reads: “There are no drugs or other therapeutics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat COVID-19.” It adds that “Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are under investigation in clinical trials” for use on coronavirus patients

DOD to Pharmacist:    "Now I know you prescribe 2 of these per day, but based on talks with my neighbours.....I'll do 10."