Covid-19

JCon

Boris Johnson remains in intensive care as of Tuesday morning, and British government officials have confirmed for the first time that the prime minister is taking oxygen treatment. Johnson spent the night in ICU following the shock announcement that he was moved there Monday evening after his office spent days downplaying his illness. Government minister Michael Gove told BBC News: “The prime minister’s not on a ventilator. He has received oxygen support.” Downing Street later confirmed that Johnson’s condition was stable overnight and he remains in “good spirits.” Britain has no formal succession plan should a prime minister become incapacitated, but Johnson has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to carry out duties in his place “where necessary.” Johnson announced 11 days ago that he had tested positive for the coronavirus. His symptoms have persisted and significantly worsened over the past few days.

President Donald Trump has a “small financial interest” in the maker of an anti-malarial drug that he has been touting as a “game changer” in treating coronavirus, according to The New York Times. Over the past two weeks, Trump and his Fox News allies have aggressively promoted hydroxychloroquine as a potential cure, despite top infectious-disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci and others urging caution and noting that there was not enough evidence of the drug’s efficacy.

The Times reports the president’s family trusts all have investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding is Sanofi, the manufacturer of Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine. Associates of the president, including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, have also run funds that hold investments in the pharmaceutical firm.

Read it at The New York Times

Honestly I don't even believe that this is about money to Trump. I can remember reading an article a while back about this drug in combination with something else showing positive results as a treatment for covid. I suspect all that is happening here is that Trump saw similar in his news binges and just latched onto "cure found, I can be the hero and everyone will love me"

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly I don't even believe that this is about money to Trump. I can remember reading an article a while back about this drug in combination with something else showing positive results as a treatment for covid. I suspect all that is happening here is that Trump saw similar in his news binges and just latched onto "cure found, I can be the hero and everyone will love me"

I think I remember reading that the "something else" was zinc.

As the Trump administration scrambles to get a hand on the spread of the new coronavirus across the U.S., it is keeping one eye on developments in China, the country where the pandemic originated.

According to two officials with knowledge of those efforts and cables reviewed by The Daily Beast, the administration is monitoring China’s second wave of coronavirus cases, gathering data on the ground on the number of individuals newly infected and the reasons for the recent uptick. Over the past few days Chinese officials have noted an emergence of new cases, particularly in asymptomatic individuals. But U.S. officials say it is difficult to trust Beijing’s numbers because of its history of putting out unreliable data.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He also tuned in to Dr. Oz, on FOX

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is so irresponsible. They're not going back anytime soon and they're making it seem like it's a slight delay. 

I'm usually with you on things. Not here. That's not the way I interpreted it, i.e., them treating the COVID as a slight delay to the season.

I see this as a staged cancellation/postponement approach as new data comes in versus just cancel everything now. In two weeks, maybe they say August. Another month they say cancelled, who knows, but it does keep some of us hopeful that something can be salvaged this year knowing we may not be able to. I guess the ongoing discussion here is what's the threshold where the pin needs to be completely pulled on seasons that were paused and upcoming seasons to be played. Right now I still have a sliver of hope that something can happen where we can get sport back this summer/fall.  No false hope just wait and see, hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Ten times as many New Yorkers are dying in their homes than normal and they aren’t being tested for COVID-19 

Written by Joshua Holland April 7, 2020

As of this writing, 12,242 people have died in the United States as a result of COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Over 5,000 of those losses were in New York, which has become the global epicenter of the pandemic. But we don’t actually know what the true toll from this disease is. The actual number of deaths is higher–possibly much higher.

In New York City, somewhere around 20-25 people die at home on a typical day. But according to City Council Member Mark Levine, who chairs the health committee, between 200 and 215 are dying at home every day at present. As Levine wrote on Twitter, only those “who are known to have a positive coronavirus test have the disease listed as the official cause on their death certificate.”

Gothamist reports that the city Medical Examiner’s office “is not testing dead bodies for COVID-19. Instead, they’re referring suspected cases to the city’s health department as ‘probable.’” And those “probable” COVID-19 deaths aren’t included in the tallies.

This is not a problem that’s unique to New York. BuzzFeed News reported that “medical professionals around the US [say] that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.”

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ventilators-trudeau-1.5524581

very lucky to have Trudeau in charge...

lol As if a Conservative or NDP Prime Minister would sit around twiddling their thumbs?  Meanwhile, Trudeau dodges questions left and right and launched a CERB that was not what he promised (and has now acknowledged as changes are coming but who knows what, and who knows when).

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Why so angry today, TUP?? 

Not angry at all....did it seem like I was angry?  I guess the people trying to subtly underplay the pandemic is annoying.   In regards to Trudeau, it directly impacts me as my gf is self employed and has had her income drastically reduced.  We know many people in the same situation so as a non-Trudeau supporter, I went from very impressed with him to utterly disappointed in his lies.   We'll see how long it takes them to alter the CERB to actually do what JT claimed it would do from the start.  Fortunately, I continue to work (Im "essential" lol).  Although I have lost money on my side business too.

@J5V  you find it amusing when people suffer financially?  Speaks volumes about you.

Edited by The Unknown Poster